F of the C in your life

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: F of the C in your life

Postby Venus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:34 am

The most coincidental FotC related thing happened to me yesterday! I was just waiting at a bus stop and decided to sing 'Cheer Up Murray' in my head (as you do!) when a car drove past with the sign above it reading "One Previous Owner" at exactly the same time I got to that part in the song ("...And you've got a car, don't you Murray? It's an '03 Accord, only one previous owner"). And I don't think I've ever seen a car with a sign like that above it before so it's not a regular occurrence! I couldn't help smiling to myself afterwards :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

yvettiefred
Giving the paper to the people

Postby yvettiefred » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Hm yes, my Mom (american) feels smart when she tells people I'm living in Canberra and they haven't even heard of the city.... oh well :) i probably wouldn't have heard of it before i met my husband either.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 am

Oh my god. I'm reading Francesca Beauman's (James Bobin's other half) amazingly funny etiquette guide, The Woman's Book, and have just finished her section on what to do if someone offers you a threesome. Or a foursome. Or so on.

The echoes of the Conchords' worried "Is it impolite not to do it, considering she's offered, and it's her place?" are just killing me. Clearly, the indomitable Mrs. Bobin needs to sit Bret and Jemaine down over a pot of tea and talk them through the appropriately courteous responses. She writes:

The trickiest moment tends to occur when the idea of group sex is first proposed. Whomsoever it falls upon to do this places herself in a highly vulnerable position; hence, regardless of the response of the friends and/or acquaintances present, she is under no circumstances to be made to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable in any way. To be brave and open enough to suggest group sex in the first place is worthy of applause full stop. (She may be drunk, however, or even high. Still.)

If group sex is your sort of thing, then chocs away. If, however, it happens not to be – which simply by the law of averages may well be the case – it is nonetheless important to respond to the suggestion politely and gracefully. Try to view it as akin to receiving an invitation to go pot-holing or to stroke someone’s pet snake – one might not feel that it is quite one’s cup of tea, but it is always nice to be asked, and for that one should be appreciative. A simple “gosh, what a lovely offer, but I’m OK actually” should suffice. (Either way it is advisable to take a moment to think through what one’s reaction would be if the opportunity ever presents itself. This prevents all manner of awkwardness that can arise from indecision.)

I am absolutely in love with this woman: "One might not feel that it is quite one’s cup of tea, but it is always nice to be asked, and for that one should be appreciative." ! It's so brilliant. And polite! I feel very much reassured. :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, it's official. The bittersweetness of the past few days has finally unseated my reason.

Some background: A few years ago, I found myself abruptly and unceremoniously dumped by the guy I'd been seeing :tears: . I made a full recovery but - as most of us do - spent an unhappy few weeks where he was Always On My Mind. An unsettling feature of this was that I started seeing him, when he wasn't there. I could trace his features in the unlikeliest of places... Schoolchildren. My mates. The woman in Sainsbury's. It was terrible.

So - last night, I'm on the sofa, watching TV, and musing over things with a glass of wine. Out of the corner of my eye, I get a glimpse of the poster we used last week at my Mum's birthday party, for a game of Pin The Tail On The Donkey - still hanging on the door.

I am 100%, Class A Bretero, and am casting no aspersions on that beautiful guy. But - God help me - that donkey sure looked a lot like Bret :shock: :eh: :que:. I'm still looking askance at it even now.

If you need me, I'll be here... in this corner... with my head in my hands.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:46 am

Awww, Tref! :goodman:

I can't get over how FoTC spans different age groups - yesterday, I played the final episode for my Mom, and she was roaring! Of course, she didn't get the "in" things, like Bret's head in a chair, or Jemaine being a man-ho, but she loved Petrov, and Bret's penguin pjs. I'm so grateful her humor is still very much intact (she's 91 today!), and we both can enjoy the guys so much.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:02 am

Happy Birthday to Nancy's mama! Wow, 91! :birthday:

Trefusis... sounds like you have a very sexy donkey on your hands. :lol: Good luck with that.

Anyone wanna play Pin the Tail on the Llama?

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm

:rolls: mockingbird. Maybe I'll get a llama poster so that we can have a matching set.

And Happy Birthday to Nancy's Mom! :party:

Y'know, it had never occurred to me to share the Conchords with my mother, so thanks for the idea! She's always been a fan of nice, polite young men :wink:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm

My mom watched The Third Conchord and laughed till she cried and had to fix her makeup.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Last night we were watching Cash Cab, and two women got into the cab and asked to be taken to a bar called The Sunburnt Cow, because, as one of the ladies pointed out, "There are lots of Australians there." Hubby and I looked at each other and cracked up. :lol:

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:55 pm

mockingbird wrote:Last night we were watching Cash Cab, and two women got into the cab and asked to be taken to a bar called The Sunburnt Cow, because, as one of the ladies pointed out, "There are lots of Australians there." Hubby and I looked at each other and cracked up.

Sally rides again! :lol:

mockingbird wrote:Trefusis... sounds like you have a very sexy donkey on your hands. Good luck with that.

Ironically, this is the first picture I've ever posted on here, so I have no idea how to make it less alarmingly large. But it does serve to illustrate the madness into which I have descended. I just hope he's sorry, that's all.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:49 pm

OK, I *seriously* needed a laugh right now. Thank you so much, Trefusis. :prayer: The expression on that donkey's face is priceless. He looks like he's been up to something. Maybe if we can get the rooster alone, he'll spill the beans. ;)

And there really is something kind of Bret-like about his hair, and his eyes. God help us, we're seeing Bret in cartoon donkeys! I think we both need help.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:01 pm

I can't get over how FoTC spans different age groups - yesterday, I played the final episode for my Mom, and she was roaring! Of course, she didn't get the "in" things, like Bret's head in a chair, or Jemaine being a man-ho, but she loved Petrov, and Bret's penguin pjs. I'm so grateful her humor is still very much intact (she's 91 today!), and we both can enjoy the guys so much.

Nancy, that's awesome!

My story is that there's a 60 year old guy who is in my department, known him for years. We have differing political reviews - I'm a liberal-tarian, and he's a Black Republican. But we like the same TV. When we were in the same division, we'd always compare notes on Arrested Development, the Shield and Homicide: Life on the Street. Just on a whim a few weeks ago, I asked him if he liked Flight of the Conchords. I though he'd just say, in his understated way, "oh, they're good. I like them." But no, he was all: "I really, really like that show! They're so funny and creative! And the songs! They're funny, but they're really good music, too!"

I loaned him Folk the World! and the BBC Series the other day. He says he's already listened to half of the BBC stuff on his ride home already.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Paperkid
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Paperkid » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm

I guess I've kind of "lost it" now. I just ordered a new iPod Nano from Apple and was trying to think of what to have engraved on it. My old nano has a Firefly quote but I wanted a Conchords quote for this one. Here's what I put (plus my name):

Do we have any gigs, Murray?

I thought it was silly, fun and slightly appropriate since the iPod has 16 gigs (get it)? And of course it reminds me of the Conchords. It should come in tomorrow, I can't wait! I got the orange one.
Paperkid
And people are like paper dolls,
Paper dolls and people, they're the very same shape

Paperkid
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Paperkid » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Oh yeah, I got the new iPod because it plays video. I'm going to convert some of my favorite episodes from the DVD to the nano so that I can watch whenever I want. Tiny, yes, but still. Tiny Conchords is still better than no Conchords.
Paperkid
And people are like paper dolls,
Paper dolls and people, they're the very same shape

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:51 am

Paperkid, I'm happy for you and your Ipod, and that is a great quote for it - I am all about the puns. :thumb:

So, let's talk about Trefusis's donkey some more. :lol: I don't think I conveyed in my first post how truly hilarious I find this donkey. I laughed so much when I first saw it, my daughter got annoyed at me. Then, all day I'm just going about my business when suddenly an image of the Bret donkey would pop into my head and I would start giggling uncontrollably.

It's the way the donkey is smiling that gets me. It's like he's saying, "Hey, check me out. I kinda look like Bret, don't I? Wanna get freaky?" :lol: If he had eyebrows, they'd be waggling up and down in a "Hmm? Hmm? How 'bout it?" kind of way. I was even tempted to photoshop Bret's beard onto him but then I decided I had gone far enough with the faun, and I need to start trying to resist this developing compulsion to put Conchords accessories on everything I see. Not only that but poor Trefusis might think she's hallucinating. :lol:

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”