It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Largo film

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Largo film

Postby Deirdre » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:First International New Zealand Festival there(starring you-know-who),

Who? FoTC? I didn't hear about that. When was it?
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 am

Check out under Gigs, Concerts, etc : June 17: FoTC at Largo Tonight. The thread goes on for about seven pages, because the guys were there so often while they were writing in LA. Sometimes they had new songs, sometimes they just did backup for Bic Runga (my daughter saw her open for the guys in LA, and said she was great), but they appeared there many times during the summer. The biggest gig was the one I mentioned. (of course I screwed up the name, but that thread has the poster and lots more) It describes how wonderful that night was, and some cool fan interactions. It's a good read.

I think the date was Aug 5, but I may be off. :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Deirdre » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks. By the way, Bic was in the film.
Deirdre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I managed to check out Largo at the Vancouver International Film Festival a few weeks ago and it was fantastic! :D It did feel very intimate (especially since there weren't many people in attendance, which is a shame) I really do hope that they find a distributor for dvd and a soundtrack would be wonderful!! There was a Q&A with the director, Andrew van Baal, after the film - I wanted to ask why Bret's name was spelled incorrectly in the credits (Brett) but that would just be rude. ;) He did have quite the task of cutting down over a year of performances! If/when it does make it to dvd I hope it does include some of the performances that didn't make the final edit.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Deirdre » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 pm

After the show and Q & A were over Jennifer, Vanessa and I got a chance to talk to the director.He said that they do plan on putting in a lot of other performances on the DVD if they get to do it. I specifically asked about more FoTC :halo: and he said yes. So, we will see.
Deirdre

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:17 am

That's great. Which FoTC song was included in the film?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Deirdre » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Mother-uckers.
Deirdre

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm

going back a page or so ...
tvldiva, if you liked what you heard of Andrew Bird, check out his Mysterious Production of the Egg CD. It's quite good. You might find yourself recognizing bits of some of the songs, as they were showing up in some hotel chains tv commercials before I moved. I can't remember the hotel, but the ads had acrobats/contortionists featured, as they balanced an apple in one and twirled around in the drapes in another.

As for the film, I hope it does get distribution and a DVD soon. I'd really love to see it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:29 am

Deirdre wrote:Mother-uckers.

If it was half as good as when I saw them do it live, it must have been super. Bret was truly amazing "editing" himself during his solo. Technically, so challenging to do live, but so well done.
Now I really want a dvd!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Deirdre » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:50 am

Yes, that's where he said pastries. He did a great job.
Deirdre

Postby tvldiva » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:*Lightbulb goes off,eyes light up*

Maybe I'll just have to open a place in Austin! :wink:

Yes, but will "they" come? :hrm:
(they = musicians)
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 pm

indigo_jones wrote:going back a page or so ...
tvldiva, if you liked what you heard of Andrew Bird, check out his Mysterious Production of the Egg CD. It's quite good. You might find yourself recognizing bits of some of the songs, as they were showing up in some hotel chains tv commercials before I moved. I can't remember the hotel, but the ads had acrobats/contortionists featured, as they balanced an apple in one and twirled around in the drapes in another.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

As for FOTC's performance, it was great! They were very relaxed and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. I loved that they kept cracking each other up. I don't even think the song had a proper ending, it just kinda trailed off. I've had a long, busy week but that's how I remember it. :worry:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 am

tvldiva wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:*Lightbulb goes off,eyes light up*

Maybe I'll just have to open a place in Austin! :wink:

Yes, but will "they" come? :hrm:
(they = musicians)

Unfortunately, a major stumbling block in today's economy. :roll:

I give Largo credit for attracting a high caliber of talent to a relaxed environment for all to enjoy. :clap:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby poptartgirl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:20 pm

1 year later, this film is still making the festival rounds. For the 2nd year, it's showing at Austin Film Festival.

AFF Presents Largo
Thursday, September 24th
Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek (13729 Research Blvd)
$4 for public, free for AFF members; 7:30 p.m.

http://austinist.com/2009/09/23/bathe_i ... h_affs.php

The Troubadour on Santa Monica Blvd. is the cozy club that did it for us. After rock-out worshipping Beth Ditto of The Gossip, witnessing the hypnotic effect Bon Iver has on an audience, and giggle-festing with Chelsea Peretti, we were dead set on finding a way to actually live in one of the best venues on Planet Earth. We could imagine ourselves waking up under the blue glow from the light above the stage and high-fiving Joni Mitchell on our way to pay rent. There’s a unique, comfortable, respectful vibe where the performer rules and being a member of the audience can be pretty darn special. It’s an atmosphere that offers up a multitude of more than memorable nights and it was recreated by club owner and filmmaker Mark Flanagan at Largo on Sunset Blvd. No, you didn’t accidentally click on sibling site LAist; we’re just setting you up for Austin Film Festival’s documentary screening of the stellar, performance-heavy Largo at Alamo Lake Creek this Thursday. It’s a required A/V workout for all Austin music buffs.

Starting the film off on a perfect note, Dave Allen (ahhh! It’s Freaks & Geeks’ Mr. Rosso) welcomes an audience and sums things up: “Seven words you never hear in Largo: my it’s light and cheery in here.” Not counting stage lights, Largo is lit mostly by candles and does exude a particularly meditative aura. Even when it comes to the featured comedians, Directors Flanagan and Andrew van Baal stay true to the contemplative environment and remain serious documentarians. There are no tiny snippets of songs or jokes popping up around B-roll and interviews—we’re treated to full songs and complete chapters (or short stories) of comedy. No one runs through a history of Largo; no one provides telling anecdotes about their experience at the club. Your only real glimpse beyond the stage comes when you’ve witnessed all of the performances. This is ultimately a documentary about that inimitable atmosphere that makes you check a venue’s calendar to see when you can get another experience on their terms.

Of course, it's also about the music. When club regular Jon Brion gets started with the first performance, your mind immediately starts to race through all of the musicians you would love to see on a Largo-like stage. Each musician and comedian is able to get totally lost in their art; there are no distractions. Some of the more noteworthy moments featured in the documentary include a chilling “I Know” by Fiona Apple, a blast from the past with Mark Oliver Everett of Eels fame, a so-amazing-even-they-have-to-laugh Flight of the Conchords song, an impressive (as usual) Andrew Bird, Aimme Mann, Nickel Creek, Jackson Browne, David Garza, and even a little ditty from Bic Runga. The best bits of comedy in the doc go to Zach Galifianakis, Sarah Silverman, and Greg Proops.

If we didn't do a little clicking around on the Internets, we would have assumed Largo was gone for good given the subdued, melancholy closing (guess that's the one downside of the doc having no background information or interviews). Fortunately, Flanagan’s Largo continues to live on at the Coronet on La Cienega Blvd; still, when the credits role to Fiona Apple’s “All Alone,” you are filled with bittersweet pangs of nostalgia for your favorite venue that is either out of reach or no longer around.

On that note, here's a cheery Austinist tip! Catch Largo documentary acts John C. Reilly and Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords at their respective Fantastic Fest premieres!
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl

Postby mockingbird » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, poptart. I'm so intrigued by this movie. Maybe the folks heading to Austin for Gentlemen Broncos will be able to catch this as well.

No word on the dvd release, I take it?
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords