It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Conchords live at Arovideo - Wednesday 13th Feb ((Welly, NZ)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

Conchords live at Arovideo - Wednesday 13th Feb ((Welly, NZ)

Postby Sherry » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 am

BREAKING NEWS!

This just in from those fine folk at Arovideo:

It is our pleasure (and absolute thrill) to announce that Arovideo will be playing host to the hottest act in New Zealand (and possibly the world) right now, "Flight of the Conchords".

In support of the local release of their widely-acclaimed HBO TV show on DVD, Bret and Jemaine will be performing a short set live in store from 10am, Wednesday the 13th of February, at 97 Aro Street in Wellington.

Then from 10.30am until 12pm, they will be signing copies of the DVD, which will be available to buy on site at $39.95 for the 2-disc set.

Space limitations on the ground floor of our store mean this will be a very intimate, exclusive event indeed, and entry will be on a "first come, first served" basis. While we cannot guarantee you will gain entry for the performance itself, their should be ample opportunity to meet the guys, especially if you are armed with a copy of their fantastic DVD! There will be eftpos facilities available, though cash is recommended.

-----

It is this the guys are plugging not their new album release :) Hope that clears up the confusion for people.

Anyone going along, go armed with camera and feel free to send in pics and report of the event.

Cheers

Sherry
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby beck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

DAMMIT!

I don't arrive in Welly till 1pm!! Grrrrr!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Deirdre » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:29 am

I feel for ya Becks! :( 10:00 does seem a bit early.
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dandy lyons » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 am

Article, photos & video clip here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4399627a1860.html

The first post-Grammy award concert for New Zealand comedy duo Flight of the Conchords was a freebie show at a small Wellington video store that they tried hard to keep a secret.

Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie entertained hundreds of people at the Aro Street Video Store this morning before signing DVDs and posing for photos.
They began their 15-minute performance with their normal dry humour.
"We headlined for Video Ezy back in the day," Clement said in his trademark flat monotone.
They both then pointed out where people could find different genre movies.
About 100 people crammed into the tiny store, with about twice that number standing outside listening to the show on speakers.
The comedians delighted the crowd by changing some lyrics of their songs and mentioning the video store and what good deals it had to offer.
Owner Andrew Armitage said that considering how popular the pair were they tried to limit crowd size by only advertising the show at 5pm yesterday on an email to their members.
Clement and McKenzie seemed at ease with their fans after the show, joking with them and posing for photos.
As well as DVDs of their Flight of the Conchords show, released today, they signed pretty much anything that was put in front of them including a suitcase, a pie and a guitar belonging to a German band.
The band, Kernspaltung, then responded by singing an impromptu thank you song - in a style reminiscent of the Conchords.
Also in the store today was Loren Horsley, who starred opposite Clement in Taika Waititi's movie Eagle versus Shark, also released on DVD today.
Mr Armitage said he had organised the show a while ago with McKenzie, who was a member at the store, and was thrilled with the turnout.
He said it was a "striking coincidence" both movies were released on the same day.
"I'm so buzzed the stars were aligned," he said.
On Monday the Conchords won a grammy for their album The Distant Future in the best comedy album category.
It was just the latest in a string of successes for the pair whose show The Flight of the Conchords has won acclaim in the US when it was picked up by HBO last year.
The show focuses on Clement and McKenzie as struggling musicians with debatable talent trying to make a living in New York.
Last week the series was nominated for, but missed out on, three awards at the Writers Guild Awards for best comedy series, best new series, and best episodic comedy.
The pair are in Wellington at the moment working on the second Conchords series, which has been delayed due to the three-month-long screenwriters' strike.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dangerous person » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am

Great stuff, I love the fact this was all set up just because Bret's a member at the shop, how very low key and fitting it is! These guys are beyond cool 8)
It's also good to hear Inner City Pressure live, it's such a brilliant song, definitely one of my favourites. I can't wait for the new CD
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Just found this short article and TVNZ video clip

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1581417
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person

Postby beck » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 am

I didn't make it to Welly in time. Poop. But I did see Jemaine later on in the day at Satay Kingdom. I was on the phone outside so I didn't manage to jump out infront of him as he left the restaurant.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Conchords live at Arovideo - Wednesday 13th Feb ((Welly,

Postby Amanda » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 am

@irihapeta wrote:From my archive - hanging out with Jemaine and Bret, as you do in Wellington, Feb 2008 #fotc #creativecapital

@irihapeta wrote:Bret at Aro Video Store - the blur is his coffee cup #fotc

But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

The photo's aren't visible to me. I even robooted and everything. :dunno:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Amanda » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I can see them fine, Nonch :hrm: anyone else having trouble loading the pictures?

Try these:
http://twitpic.com/5pelpv
http://twitpic.com/5pw3v5
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah they don't show up in your first post. It just says Image & it's not clickable.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Oooooo yes. So good. Thanks!

Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Return to Flight of The Conchords