What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Paperkid
 Post subject: Re: Flight of the Conchords: On Air Documentary
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:58 pm 
Lost but happy at sea

I can't view the vid but will try at home on my unblocked computer. I've been battling pneumonia too and am back to work but still weak and sleepy. I spent many hours on the couch and in bed watching Season 1 (over and over), so it could've been worse. Ha!

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 pm 
She's like Switzerland

Paperkid wrote:
I can't view the vid but will try at home on my unblocked computer. I've been battling pneumonia too and am back to work but still weak and sleepy. I spent many hours on the couch and in bed watching Season 1 (over and over), so it could've been worse. Ha!

You're battling pneumonia eh? :lol: bit ironic...

LauraK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm 
Boom King!

Thanks for the link- that was great to be able to see since I don't have HBO. The audio wasn't synched to their lips but that was totally ok..... I see now that they so didn't expect the show to be as big as it has. I love that they're so modest about their fame and don't seem the least bit jaded.

Wonder what they think of us Americans, lol? I was embarrassed when the one girl said she'd thrown a condom onstage with her number....tacky.

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm 
She's like Switzerland

I also love how when he goes, "I'm quite a shy person" she goes, "Oh me too *juts out breasts and neck in Jem's face*"

Whatever. You're not shy if you're asking a famous guy to sign your body. Especially such a ... personal part of the body.

Carol
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:45 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

Thank you so much, Dandy, for the instructions. I finally got to see (hear) it. Yea!
It really was drudgery doing the show, wasn't it? I'm sure the success really, really threw them for a loop. I guess it's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for", eh?
I hope they don't resent us (Americans) for being so forward--as the hot dog vendor calling them by name as though he knew them. I'm thinking if I saw either of them walking down the street (I should be so lucky!), I would probably call them by name as well. I guess what counts is what you say afterward.
As for the girl who got the autograph on her bod--I'm thinking that was at Bonnaroo. It certainly looked like the tent..... Trust me, she HAD to be an out-of-towner!! Most of us aren't that crass!

Another thought--I wonder if any of the "common folk" interviewed had any idea who was interviewing them? Kinda funny, eh?

paperkid, I don't know you, but I hope you're feeling much better.

Paperkid
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:31 pm 
Lost but happy at sea

Yes, I had pneumonia, but not too bad. It just lingered for a long time and knocked me down physically, I'm still tired and it's been 4 weeks.. I can definitely understand how he felt having to keep working and feeling that bad all at the same time. Pneumonia can really be serious, one of my friends died from it at 35 years old because she neglected it a bit and waited too long to get help. If they don't do a 3rd season, I would totally understand and after having to film with pneumonia in the first season, I'm surprised they did a second one (but very very glad they did).

Paperkid
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:32 pm 
Lost but happy at sea

Also, when you watch that vid and it's not synched, just press pause for a second and it synchs back up. For only a short time. I just kept hitting pause when it got to be too annoyingly out of synch.

eejm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 am 

LauraK wrote:
Wonder what they think of us Americans, lol? I was embarrassed when the one girl said she'd thrown a condom onstage with her number....tacky.

No kidding! Hearing that seriously made my jaw drop, and I don't offend easily.

Knowing I'd be so awestruck and tongue-tied meeting the boys I probably wouldn't be able to speak, I can't imagine doing something quite so...uh, direct.

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:57 am 
She's like Switzerland

eejm wrote:
LauraK wrote:

Knowing I'd be so awestruck and tongue-tied meeting the boys I probably wouldn't be able to speak, I can't imagine doing something quite so...uh, direct.

Which is why it's so ridiculous for her to have said "Oh me too" when Jem said he was shy (as she's asking him to sign her neckline)

SheWolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm 
Boom King!

I finally got around to watching this. The synching was fine for me. While it didn't really tell me much I didn't already know I thought it was pretty cool. I had pnemonia once, I don't know how you can work through it, everything hurt so much and I was so wiped I couldn't really get out of bed. I loved seeing the FOTC posters all over NYC coz that's how I first discovered them. It was interesting to hear James Bobin and Rhys say that they weren't sure that Bret & Jem knew what they were in for, ah those were innocent days.

eejm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 am 

kellysouthpaw wrote:
eejm wrote:
LauraK wrote:

Which is why it's so ridiculous for her to have said "Oh me too" when Jem said he was shy (as she's asking him to sign her neckline)

I re-watched Mugged today. I could tell when he was really feeling yucky, or at least I heard him gasp a few times. While I didn't know Jemaine was so ill during first season filming until I saw it on the Making Of, I had noticed that Jemaine was a little hoarse during the mugging scenes. I thought he just had a cold, or that his voice sometimes gets raspy in cold weather (mine does). I couldn't believe it when I heard he had pneumonia for FOUR WEEKS!

I had pneumonia about four years ago. A friend was buying a house at that point, and needed me as a witness for some paperwork. I met her to do the signing, and the minute I stepped out of the car, she said, "Holy *&%$, you look awful!" I signed the paperwork, drove home, and promptly passed out. For about two weeks. I was essentially useless. Poor Jemaine must have had great drugs and a heck of a lot of fortitude working through that for weeks on end. Filming season 2 must have been a cake walk for him.

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:28 am 
She's like Switzerland

I had pneumonia when I was 7. I hear it's a miracle I survived.

But I can't remember a thing about what it was like. Other than I was at some downtown Detroit hospital because I was in the area visiting my grandparents when it progressed to the point my parents couldn't ignore it anymore. Good thing they didn't wait any longer or else I might not be here to type this today!

prettyrobyngirl
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:23 am 

I had it twice as a kid, once at eight and again at twelve. I don't remember so much about it the first time, but I remember the second time. It was honestly one of the worst sicknesses I have ever had. I remember missing school for six weeks, and spending most of that time lying in bed, going in and out of sleep for month. I was so tired most days I couldn't watch movies or sit up for more than a few minutes. It was awful!

I know there is varying degrees of pneumonia- you can get the 'walking' version where you can still function but feel like crap all the time. No matter what Jemaine had, its truly horrid and I can't believe he was still filming the entire time!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm 
Boom King!

The worst I've ever felt is when I had bronchial pnemonia. I was kind of hallucinating and actually told my mom (in the most dramatic voice that I could muster) that I hoped the lord would take me. I don't even believe in "the lord" which only goes to show that those hallucinations were very powerful. :lol:

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:14 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Carol wrote:
Thank you so much, Dandy, for the instructions. I finally got to see (hear) it. Yea!
It really was drudgery doing the show, wasn't it? I'm sure the success really, really threw them for a loop. I guess it's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for", eh?
I hope they don't resent us (Americans) for being so forward--as the hot dog vendor calling them by name as though he knew them. I'm thinking if I saw either of them walking down the street (I should be so lucky!), I would probably call them by name as well. I guess what counts is what you say afterward.
As for the girl who got the autograph on her bod--I'm thinking that was at Bonnaroo. It certainly looked like the tent..... Trust me, she HAD to be an out-of-towner!! Most of us aren't that crass!

Another thought--I wonder if any of the "common folk" interviewed had any idea who was interviewing them? Kinda funny, eh?

paperkid, I don't know you, but I hope you're feeling much better.

OMG Carol I LOVE the gif currently in your signature! 8) . Loved seeing Jemaine play the guitar like that but as far as I remember it was too short so it's good to see it again :D

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next