Wishin' & Hopin': The Second Album Thread

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Wishin' & Hopin': The Second Album Thread

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:56 am

Because there’s nothing I like more than a bit of idle speculation, I’ve been absent-mindedly mulling over what surprises might turn up on the Conchords’ second album. The word from SubPop is that there will be fifteen songs, and we already know what six of them are, as they’ve been released as singles on US iTunes. This leaves us with nine spaces, presumably to be filled with future songs from episodes, tunes from already-aired eps that haven’t been released as singles, and possibly a couple of new, non-HBO songs (although this is entirely puerile conjecture on my part). I thought it might be groovy to hear what everyone else would put on their fantasy second album, especially those songs from this series that haven’t made it to iTunes yet. I know I have my personal faves, but I always get a big kick out of hearing what other peoples’ are, and why.

For those of us outside the US and without access to the singles (sob sob, stormy journal entry, sob), the ones that have been released already and are presumably confirmed are:

Angels
Sugalumps
Hurt Feelings
Friends
Carol Brown
We’re Both in Love With a Sexy Lady

I think my very most favourite of the non-singles this season is You Don’t Have to be a Prostitute. Not only is it absurdly hilarious, it’s just a great damn song. When I was a kid, my family only ever seemed to have two cassette tapes in the car, one of which was Paul Simon’s Graceland, and the other was a collection of the Police’s greatest hits. These got played over and over and over again until they were eaten by our spiteful little sh*t of a car stereo, and no trick from the 80s could rescue them from their terrible tangled fate. But ever since, I’ve had a very soft spot for Roxanne, the first kick-ass song on the Police tape, and Prostitute pays such loving homage to that brilliantly classic track. Also, being a Black Seeds fan, any song that lets Bret get his reggae on is A-Okay with me. And Eugene on STEEL DRUMS! How can you not love that?

I’d also be really happy to see Too Many Dicks (heyyyy, that sounds dirty!) pop up (boom-boom!) on the album, too. It’s so fantastically camp, and such an amazingly silly piss-take on all the trashy, disposable and totally indistinguishable dance tracks that we get bombarded with every summertime. And it doesn’t actually make my ears bleed or my brain haemorrhage! I call that a musical miracle!

From the non-HBO stuff, I’d be over the moon if they did a proper studio recording of Jenny. I have a handful of different (and totally wonderful) live versions of it on my iPod, but it’s such a classic Conchord song that it’d be a shame not to put it on one album, even if it’s just for posterity. I know it’s a song that really benefits from having an audience to respond to the mounting absurdity, but all the same. I’d love it. Image

I’ll stop gabbling now, but what would you guys pick? I'd really love to hear what you're hoping for!
Last edited by ASmallTurnip on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

kellysouthpaw

Re: Wishin' & Hopin': The Second Album Thread

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 am

I just have to say I would love to hear Jenny on an album as well - but maybe they could get a really good live recording of it and put that on the album. You're right though - you really need the audience there to help the flow of their timing...

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:I’d also be really happy to see Too Many Dicks (heyyyy, that sounds dirty!) pop up (boom-boom!) on the album, too.

Awwww Turnip...what can I say? :eyebrow: Don't ever stop.... :prayer:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 am

Jenny on the album would be great. But I personally think that song would work best if done live for it. Somehow the audience gives it that little bit more.

As for new stuff, no idea really. I am guessing most of what we've heard of the 'proper' songs. I don't expect the not proper ones to be on there at all. And very polished versions. So far this season the songs seem to be well done and I don't think the guys are re-recording them for the album. If they sound different we'll soon know. But as they are realeasing them via iTunes I figure they are the final ones.

I am personally hanging out for a live double album 8) I can live and dream. Also an entire gig, filmed for DVD but not in front of a US crowd. Sorry America, but I'm hoping for a Kiwi one. Homegrown gig seems more fitting somehow.

However it'll only really work for me if they are playing to an audience who hasn't heard the songs yet. Once you've heard them in the TV show they kind of then lose their edge. For me its still comedy and when you know the punchline its not as funny anymore.

Looking forward to new songs and stuff unveiled in a new tour when no longer making the HBO show and able to just do live gigs.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:19 am

I am personally hanging out for a live double album 8) I can live and dream. Also an entire gig, filmed for DVD but not in front of a US crowd. Sorry America, but I'm hoping for a Kiwi one. Homegrown gig seems more fitting somehow.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

This is my dream, as well.

"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Sherry I have to agree with you on the point that once you know the punchlines a little of the magic is lost - but I still find myself laughing at the humor itself anyway. I am excited for my best friend Steve because he is going to the show with me and this will be his first time hearing anything by FOTC. He will be getting the most out of the show IMHO

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Sherry wrote:

THAT would be all shades of AWESOME! :rock:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36 am

Sherry wrote:
However it'll only really work for me if they are playing to an audience who hasn't heard the songs yet. Once you've heard them in the TV show they kind of then lose their edge.

This is why the gig in my shed will work so well, as I haven't heard any of the second season songs. :halo:

It can be filmed for all of you to enjoy if you like.
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Cat-chan
New arrival

Postby Cat-chan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Too many Dicks needs to be on the 2nd album. Aside from Sugalumps its the song from the second season I A) Laughed at when I saw it and B) get stuck in my head constantly.

"Brett You Got it Going On" would be cool too, but I doubt that will happen.

yvettiefred
Giving the paper to the people

Postby yvettiefred » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 pm

They had "Bret You Got It Going On" as an extra track for pre ordering the last album from iTunes, so I don't think they would add it as a track to the 2nd album? Who knows though.

I just really hope Too Many Dicks gets on :)

Cat-chan
New arrival

Postby Cat-chan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:29 pm

yvettiefred wrote:They had "Bret You Got It Going On" as an extra track for pre ordering the last album from iTunes, so I don't think they would add it as a track to the 2nd album? Who knows though.

I was not aware of this...
Thats what I get for being old school and buying everything on CD's still.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Cat-chan wrote:
yvettiefred wrote:They had "Bret You Got It Going On" as an extra track for pre ordering the last album from iTunes, so I don't think they would add it as a track to the 2nd album? Who knows though.

I was not aware of this...
Thats what I get for being old school and buying everything on CD's still.

Oh, you totally made the right call on that album, though, Cat! The artwork and design of it was just brilliant, and I feel badly for anyone who bought all of the album online and didn't get the full sensory explosion of Tyler Stout's drawings. You can always buy the one bonus track off iTunes, if you're hankering for it, right?

Old school music lovers are the best. Long live liner notes! :D :yawinkle:

Sherry wrote:I am personally hanging out for a live double album 8) I can live and dream. Also an entire gig, filmed for DVD but not in front of a US crowd. Sorry America, but I'm hoping for a Kiwi one. Homegrown gig seems more fitting somehow.

Oh, me too. I love the vibe you get from their earlier NZ-recorded performances. The laughs are earned differently, and they come at places you wouldn't hear when the songs are performed in front of a US audience. (I don't mean to say that American audiences are inferior AT ALL, please, please don't think that's what I'm implying!) But I really relish the difference. And I bet the boys would, too.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 am

I'd really love a full version of 'Epileptic Dogs' with an extended remix! I jsut love that song! :D I crank it up to the max when I'm driving and belt it out full volume! :lol: :oops:

Baguette
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Baguette » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I'd be really surprised if they'd include Petrov, Yelyena & me, but they DEFINETLY need the Bus Driver's Song.
You're so beautiful...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Baguette wrote:I'd be really surprised if they'd include Petrov, Yelyena & me, but they DEFINETLY need the Bus Driver's Song.

But thats already been on an album. And done so well back then too. I'm not sure they would include it on this upcoming album. Never know though :)

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”