Unpopular opinions?

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Unpopular opinions?

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 am

ardy wrote:
VaiVedrai wrote:Bret would make a really good James Bond, eh? A different take on the role...

*imagining bret in a tux...with a martini....then having to go to the toilet* :yawinkle:

:roll2: :bounce: :rolls: Poor guy can't hold his liquor, eh? Or did he spill the martini on his tux? It would be a funny version--the Mr. Bean of James Bonds. (Wow...I never thought I would ever find a way to put those two characters into the same sentence.)
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

yvettiefred
Giving the paper to the people

Postby yvettiefred » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 am

mockingbird wrote:I stated watching Futurama instead because it was funny like the Simpsons used to be. Then they stopped making it. Sob.

Oh, no! I have an unpopular opinion! :sofa: (Well, at least unpopular with SheWolf.)

They might make more Futurama episodes :) http://www.gotfuturama.com/

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Hmm. Things I think that nobody else does... :hrm: ... nope, I'm a clone :wink:

Seriously, I have ishoos that are selfishly all about what FOTC means to MeMeMe. Like...

I'm really, really pleased that the guys have got so huge. They worked so hard and so long for it and it must feel so good for them. But I never got to see them live when it was all intimate and friendly and - don't shoot me :pray: - IMO more suited to their style than massive arena gigs and - :eeek: - the TV show. It's like they've turned into a rock band. Having said that, they've shown themselves to be amazingly adaptable and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's reports of the tour. And the success is good.

Considering the amount of letching I do on here :snakeman: this one may be weird, but I've always liked it that they're with their long-term OHs. It kind of counteracts the above. I don't think anyone on here is of the He Must Be Single And I Will Marry Him persuasion, so maybe that one isn't so unpopular. But I've put it on here because frankly it's none of my business.

Finally - and this isn't unpopular so much as, er, "niche", I wish the guys would come and play in BELFAST <waves a big delicious Guinness enticingly and sloppily as an incentive> :drinkers:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:41 pm

VaiVedrai wrote:
ardy wrote:
VaiVedrai wrote:Bret would make a really good James Bond, eh? A different take on the role...

*imagining bret in a tux...with a martini....then having to go to the toilet* :yawinkle:

:roll2: :bounce: :rolls: Poor guy can't hold his liquor, eh? Or did he spill the martini on his tux? It would be a funny version--the Mr. Bean of James Bonds. (Wow...I never thought I would ever find a way to put those two characters into the same sentence.)

he couldn't handle the beer at the world music gig or at mel's...i assume he'd be the same with a martini. but he'd look damn fine in that tux. yes.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:53 pm

yvettiefred wrote:They might make more Futurama episodes :) http://www.gotfuturama.com/

Fabulous!

trefusis wrote:I'm really, really pleased that the guys have got so huge. They worked so hard and so long for it and it must feel so good for them.

I get the impresson that it's kind of a mixed bag, especially for Jemaine. I'm sure it's gratifying to be successful, and the money is nice, so that probably helps soothe the pain. :wink: But being famous strikes me as kind of a pain in the ass. One of the things I like about them is they always seem to be doing what they do just for the sheer love of doing it. I read in an interview once where Jemaine said he wishes they could just make the show and have nobody watch it.

I kind of changed the gist of what you said, with some creative editing, sorry! I also wish I could've seen them back before they got so huge.

trefusis wrote:Considering the amount of letching I do on here this one may be weird, but I've always liked it that they're with their long-term OHs. It kind of counteracts the above. I don't think anyone on here is of the He Must Be Single And I Will Marry Him persuasion, so maybe that one isn't so unpopular. But I've put it on here because frankly it's none of my business.

I like that too, and it's totally none of my business either! I must admit, I have the typical fan's desire to find out all kinds of stuff about them that is none of my business! I feel a little guilty about that because they clearly don't want that kind of attention.

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 pm

mockingbird wrote:I get the impresson that it's kind of a mixed bag, especially for Jemaine. I'm sure it's gratifying to be successful, and the money is nice, so that probably helps soothe the pain. :wink: But being famous strikes me as kind of a pain in the ass. One of the things I like about them is they always seem to be doing what they do just for the sheer love of doing it. I read in an interview once where Jemaine said he wishes they could just make the show and have nobody watch it.

Reckon you're right - the constant attention must get pretty wearing <says Tref on a fansite :oops: >. In the ludicrous event of my ever meeting them by chance (as opposed to an official post-show meet), am still pretty sure I would Studiously Ignore, and then kick my own @rse down the street from here to Kingdom Come. :doh: :tears:

Perhaps, rather than the fame what I meant was something like the recognition that what they do is good. But I know what you mean, that they'd have been doing it anyway.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:25 am

I agree with them doing more on something other than myspace. I'm really getting fed up with myspace in general and thinking about deleting my account.

Hmmm...unpopular opinions. I didn't like the third conchord episode. I re-watch pretty much all the episodes over and again but that one I've only watched twice. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but my roomate disagrees with me whole heartedly, so it is with her anyways. I would like Jemaine to wear more purple. That probably is neither popular nor unpopular, but has to do more with the fact that my house looks like prince threw up everywhere. Let's see what else....oh they really should come to North Carolina!!! Other than that I have no complaints! :)
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Jilly
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Jilly » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm

My unpopular opinion is ... I don't think Bret and Jemaine are the sexiest beasts on the planet. Sorry to ruffle feathers, my friends.

However, having admitted this unpopular opinion, I do have to confess that lately Bret and Jemaine have been dominating my pregnancy dreams. I usually have really weird dreams during pregnancy, and this one is no different. Like last night, after Harrison Ford tried to murder me, Bret and Jemaine renamed me Joel and bought me a really nice chair. I'm really too tired to try to analyze that particular dream.

Carol Brown
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Carol Brown » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:04 am

I'm not sure if this in unpopular or not, but here goes ( I've seen other people kind of split on this matter ): I think the songs this series are great! I know some people complain that FOtC have strayed from their folk roots/sold out/'lost the spirit of the first series', but I'm liking their new stuff just fine. It's changed a bit, of course, but the overall feeling is the same and I still love it! :silence:
It makes me feel embarrassed for the fanbase when I read rude comments on their official Facebook/Myspace. I know opinions are meant to be expressed and I doubt they affect the boys too much, but still. Would those people still be that rude face to face? :(

Now someone please help me off my soapbox!
Would you like a little cereal ?

coconuts
New arrival

Postby coconuts » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 am

Carol Brown wrote:It makes me feel embarrassed for the fanbase when I read rude comments on their official Facebook/Myspace. I know opinions are meant to be expressed and I doubt they affect the boys too much, but still. Would those people still be that rude face to face? :(

I don't get these people. Why would anyone take the time to flame some band they don't even care about? They're obviously not fans. A fan's criticism would be a bit more subtle and constructive, methinks. They're just random, very bored and bitter people who need to find something better to do. :hrmpf:

TheFool
Half a shapely halibut

Postby TheFool » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:27 am

I for one am well well burned out on Business Time. It's the only Conchords song that I can say I've become, seemingly incurably, adverse to, and pretty quickly too. Used to love the business socks and the sexy dance, but it was not a passion built to last. Pobre Canción, I hope with all my heart that it can understand. It's not it, it's me.
Talkin' about the thyroid

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:04 am

TheFool wrote:I for one am well well burned out on Business Time. It's the only Conchords song that I can say I've become, seemingly incurably, adverse to, and pretty quickly too. Used to love the business socks and the sexy dance, but it was not a passion built to last. Pobre Canción, I hope with all my heart that it can understand. It's not it, it's me.

Have to say I'm with you on that one. But I've said that on the main site and here elsewhere before now. So its noting new from my side :lol: I got tired of it back in 2005/06 after they played it on One Night Stand. It'd been performed first in 2003 iirc and has been well over quoted by fans to the point of it causing offence whenever its quoted near me :lol:

Its not that it not a good song. It is, its great. But you hear something too many times and shouted out etc, it just gets old. Even Jemaine appeared tired of having it requested last round of live gigs (why part of me wants no 3rd season nut just a totally new live set when they are ready, so everything is NEW and FRESH and not heard and known already by the masses sat watching them).

But I can listen to Hotties over and over, same with Busdrivers Song and also the FTW version of Pencils. They really have stood the test of time for me and are not really madly quoted all over the place.

I also like the One Night Stand version of Hiphop v Rhyme and Jenny.

Its not the Conhords fault I am tired of hearing Business Time. I blame the fans totally :lol: :rolleyes: :hrmpf: :yawinkle:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I think the only song I'm tired of it Jenny, then again it was never a fave of mine.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:I think the only song I'm tired of it Jenny, then again it was never a fave of mine.

I'm listening to this song right now, actually.

Weird.

eejm

Postby eejm » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 am

Although the Bowie episode was pretty funny, I don't really care for the song Bowie. I can, however, see how it might be funny live - it just didn't come off well on the show.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”