What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deirdre
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

I'm also from Florida originally. Maybe there is something about growing up in the sunshine that made us lovers of FUN and FOTC. I have been to Downtown Disney many times and I agree that that would be the best of both worlds. To see FOTC and go to EPCOT in one day... The thought of that makes me super sparkley.

specialkay
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 am 
Registered Rhymnecologist

I bet hanging out at a beach with them doing TIKI club shows would be absolutely fabulous...kicking the sand around with the guys, spells of comedic delight, drinking from a coconut...would be a blessed event for the fans :rock: :clap: :yawinkle: :partyman: i would love to see the guys in straw hats and bermuda shorts,myself! tee,hee

Andria
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:50 am 
Bootylicious Flygirl

:tears: I've never been to Florida! I'm so sad. Sounds very nice. Beach, ocean, sun...*sigh*

Signed,
The Pasty White Gal from the Cold White North (Oh, yah. Up Nort')

EvilMoose
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 am 
Half a shapely halibut

specialkay wrote:
I bet hanging out at a beach with them doing TIKI club shows would be absolutely fabulous...kicking the sand around with the guys, spells of comedic delight, drinking from a coconut...would be a blessed event for the fans :rock: :clap: :yawinkle: :partyman: i would love to see the guys in straw hats and bermuda shorts,myself! tee,hee

As long as there are no Police Net Ballers.

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:14 am 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Quote:
i would love to see the guys in straw hats and bermuda shorts,myself! tee,hee

Sort of like this? (Eh, Bret as a Black Seed in shorts is close enough)

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:11 am 
Bootylicious Flygirl

EvilMoose wrote:
specialkay wrote:

As long as there are no Police Net Ballers.

How about "The Police" Net Ballers? :rock:

(Side note: we'd better watch ourselves, ladies. We are getting dangerously close to swooning...:wink: Or maybe that's just where my mind goes. I think we need a "Swoon Jar" )

Gayle
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:14 pm 
Cool Nipples!

Andria wrote:
:tears: I've never been to Florida! I'm so sad. Sounds very nice. Beach, ocean, sun...*sigh*

Signed,

I spent the best years of my youth living in Sarasota and all I have to show for it is an increased risk of skin cancer and a disdain for slow drivers. When you live there, you don't get to spend your time at the beach. It's best to just visit.

Johnnyp
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:08 am 
The One Guy

I finally got a chance to listen to Pt 1.

Quick funny things for me. Some of its just pronounciations that crack me up

Jemaine-talking about "Frodo" It didn't get into the "fist" movie
plus the lyric "magical bling bling"

Bryan-speaking of the rejection letter from Peter Jackson
...out of the many demo CDs we did feel your cassette tape...

Neil Finn-on Bret not being able to play
Well I'm not surprised Was this line Business Line inspired

Bryan calling it "The" Big Ben

Bryan-referring to Jemaine as your veery heery

The giftshop exchange oh cool chainmail....that'd be good in photoshoots

Bryan-on how to get through the gig asking Jemaine
could we use one of your feet

Sherry the "at least 100 CDS" cracked me up.

The girl at the end credits calling them Flight of the Condors... and how she thought they were hot

This kind of stuff reminds me of a fairly unknown recording done in the 70s by the country vocal group The Statler Brothers. They did it under the alter ego name of Lester "Roadhog" Moran and his Cadillac Cowboys.
You almost have to be from the southern US of A and a musician to get it but.

but you'll hear lines like

After a fight breaks out at their live show
Well while yall's on yer feet let's hot foot it and do a little square dancin'
I call this the greatest square dance call of all time
Ya'll jump up and never come down

Introducing a lady from town
This here is Ms. Viola Weaver and she's lived here in Rainbow Valley all
her life......uh...well.....not yet she ain't

During a radio interview
We got our start at W.E.A.K radio about ten years ago.....and....uh
we're still there

Speaking of his two fine young country singers Red and Wesley
I told them they could each do a solo tonight but they didn't
want to. They said singing together is what made 'em what they are today

They even mispronounce the names of other performers in fact they
refer to their real selves as The Stafford Brothers....They was on
our last album

His guitar player Witchita Rankin plays just like Chek Akins

Biggest difference though is the music is intentionally horrendously bad.
To be honest what I would really like to hear are the outtakes from this album I don't know how they got through it.

Sound clips here. I recommend track five for some musically acrobatics :lol:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 59-7416628

kneedragger
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:13 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

indigo_jones wrote:
I'm an Orlando native. Born and raised until I was 16. I was back there this summer and was sad to see how my old neighborhoods had changed for the worse.

I spent two Summers there in the early Sixties with an Uncle. There was nothing but forests and swamps all around me. It was Heaven!! We used to ride to the grocery store on horses. I had a pet alligator that my cousin caught while fishing and gave to me. He was three feet long and I looooved him! He would lay in my lap and play with me.

Sean

Gayle
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:19 pm 
Cool Nipples!

kneedragger wrote:
indigo_jones wrote:
I'm an Orlando native. Born and raised until I was 16. I was back there this summer and was sad to see how my old neighborhoods had changed for the worse.

I spent two Summers there in the early Sixties with an Uncle. There was nothing but forests and swamps all around me. It was Heaven!! We used to ride to the grocery store on horses. I had a pet alligator that my cousin caught while fishing and gave to me. He was three feet long and I looooved him! He would lay in my lap and play with me.

Sean
:shock:

kneedragger
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:23 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Andria wrote:

Signed,

I thought you were more of a greenish color (or aqua/smerf!) :angelic: (a very cute green! :comehere: )

Sean

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:41 pm 

Quote:

Even in the early '70s, it could be fairly rural without going far out of town. My parents settled in Orlando in the late 60s (my dad had moved around between Tennessee, Georgia and Florida when he was growing up and had been living and working near Cape Canaveral before getting married). They still talk about how there was hardly anything there. There was one semi-decent restaurant in town.

I think the mid/late '80s saw some of the biggest boom in development in Orlando. By the time I left in '88, it was starting to really expand. I went back in early 2001 on business and didn't get to see much except for the Convention Center, but even that area was totally unrecognizable to me. International Blvd. looked nothing like it had when I left in '88. I was blown away.

Oh, as for the gators, when I moved here to NC from Orlando, I ended up convincing a guy in one of my classes that gator wrestling was a required subject in Florida schools. Hee!

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

kneedragger
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:05 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

indigo_jones wrote:

I think the mid/late '80s saw some of the biggest boom in development in Orlando. By the time I left in '88, it was starting to really expand. I went back in early 2001 on business and didn't get to see much except for the Convention Center, but even that area was totally unrecognizable to me. International Blvd. looked nothing like it had when I left in '88. I was blown away.

Oh, as for the gators, when I moved here to NC from Orlando, I ended up convincing a guy in one of my classes that gator wrestling was a required subject in Florida schools. Hee!

He was probably worried that he had just got the hang of wrestling bears and now here was a whole other subject he knew nothing about! :shock:

I hitched down there in '75 and stayed in St Cloud. They were just starting to build lots of motels and stuff in preparation for Disney, but it was still pretty nice. I remember LOTS of flowers. I ended up in the swamps south of Orlando logging cypress for a while. My Grandma lived in Winter Springs and I stayed there for a while in the early '80s. That wasn't too bad, but it was getting crowded.

Sean

Gayle
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:40 pm 
Cool Nipples!

All the talk about FL is makin me homesick. I lived in Sarasota, but spent time in orlando, too. You are dead on about the differences that have happened in the last 30 years.

What sticks out most in my mind is memories of bein 8 or 9 and spendin the entire day at the beach: no sunscreen, no worries. I'd have beet red, stick to the sheets, hurts to move, skin bubblin, throbbin headache kind of sunburn that you would be rushed to the hospital for now. Not that this was ok, but back then, no one worried about it. Now adays it seems that people are obsessed with safety and more to the point, liability.

I miss the care free days... :tears: of rompin thru the sand and collectin shells... :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

ok, I'm done.

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:20 pm 

Quote:
What sticks out most in my mind is memories of bein 8 or 9 and spendin the entire day at the beach: no sunscreen, no worries. I'd have beet red, stick to the sheets, hurts to move, skin bubblin, throbbin headache kind of sunburn that you would be rushed to the hospital for now. Not that this was ok, but back then, no one worried about it. Now adays it seems that people are obsessed with safety and more to the point, liability.

Hee! You just described me after any all-day outing throughout my childhood. :D I get heat/sun stroke really easy and burn super easy, too. Horseback riding camp? Sun stroke the first day, wiped me out for the rest of the week. A day at Circus World? Sun stroke. A school field trip to see an outdoor play? Sun stroke. Every summer spent at my grandparents' house in Daytona that was two blocks over from the beach? At least one really good sunburn and a mild case of sun stroke.

Yet I've never been to the hospital. Kids these days are wusses! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next