What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Bad Atom
 Post subject: Re: Flight of The Conchords Part 1
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:55 am 
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

I also just started listening to the radio show for the first time. I wanted to save it until the TV show and the live show was over so it would be fresh. The only problem for me is setting aside the time to really listen to it and not do 5,000 other things at the same time. It's not exactly "background noise", you have to pay attention.

LauraK
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 am 
Boom King!

Yes....I listened to #2 as well and had to force myself to stop trying to read things online while listening. :rolleyes:

So this is basically the first draft of what would become the show, eh? After they'd honed and fine-tuned. Great to hear them in this way.....:)

Must go to bed now.......zzzzzzzzzzzz

mockingbird
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:26 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Kate wrote:
Bret's "Higher Power" excuse, and the explanation of how he uses it to get out of gigs was priceless!

Oh, man, I was DYING during this part. :lol: "It may be that there is a higher power in the universe, but I don't think it was a higher power that caused him to shoot himself with an arrow, any more than it was a higher power that made him get his head stuck in a chair that time..." Ha! :D

Bad Atom wrote:
The only problem for me is setting aside the time to really listen to it and not do 5,000 other things at the same time. It's not exactly "background noise", you have to pay attention.

Definitely. :nod: And I'm having that same problem.

Deirdre
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:16 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Thanks Sherry. I know I had a copy of this from the old'n days. But with all the moving it appears to be gone. I'm going to load it on to the iPod so we can listen to it on the way home from the show in Austin. :supz:

mockingbird
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm 

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but can someone tell me why they changed the name from Brian Nesbitt to Murray Hewitt?

SheWolf
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm 
Boom King!

mockingbird wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:
The only problem for me is setting aside the time to really listen to it and not do 5,000 other things at the same time. It's not exactly "background noise", you have to pay attention.

Definitely. :nod: And I'm having that same problem.
When I first got it I listened to it in the car. Same as the TV show it requires your 100% listening participation.

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm 
She's like Switzerland

mockingbird wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but can someone tell me why they changed the name from Brian Nesbitt to Murray Hewitt?

Maybe because Murray sounds lamer than Brian? :roll2:

No, but seriously - I have no idea :dunno:

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm 
Boom King!

I thought I read once that they thought the name Murray was hilarious. Don't know why it was ever Brian. I only find the name Murray funny now coz I associate it with FOTC. The guy at my local fedex store is called Murray. :lol:

ravenhpltc24
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

mockingbird wrote:

I thought Rhys said once that they were afraid the BBC owned the rights to the character Brian Nesbitt, so they changed the name just to be safe. Now Rhys likes to pretend that Murray is Brian's cousin who lives in America. :lol:

Sherry
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 pm 
Professional Blonde

ravenhpltc24 wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

I thought Rhys said once that they were afraid the BBC owned the rights to the character Brian Nesbitt, so they changed the name just to be safe. Now Rhys likes to pretend that Murray is Brian's cousin who lives in America. :lol:

About right. The BBC own the radio show rights and when writing the HBO series the guys erred on the side of caution. I remember (one of) them, I think Bret explaining about it to me in an email ages back.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:39 am 

Thanks for clearing that up!

LauraK
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:12 pm 
Boom King!

I listened to 5&6 while making lasagna yesterday.....what a lovely time! I laughed so much! One thing I had to stop and write down was a lyric to Nearly a Woman that cracked me up: "Am I a young woman or and elderly gir?" :lol: an elderly girl?! :lol: That just struck me....cracking up in the kitchen while assembling lasagna- priceless. I think the Radio version would have been funnier than the Femident Ad they went with on the show, but then we wouldn't have seen them dressed as toothpaste. :D
Rhys as Brian or Murray is clueless, and so perfect.

The bits with Neil Finn were great, too....always dispensing good advice in a clipped manner....then being only a bit perturbed when Brian gets his number after he's changed it, lol.

The imagery when Jemaine was attempting to be the whole band while resting the keyboard on his knee, playing guitar, tiny piano with his feet, and sing with a shaker in his mouth. But then when Brian asks how he's playing the keyboard.......then says "Ooooh no....you've gone too far there..." :shock: :rolls:

Jemaine: "Some people climb a ladder to success. We've dug a tunnel to success...."
Bret: "....ended up back at home." :)

It ended perfectly, just like the show.

Thanks again, Sherry, I really enjoyed that.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:11 pm 
Boom King!

I didn't really care for the nearly a woman song. But Frumpy Lady made me laugh for days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7