What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Cuse
 Post subject: Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:25 am 
Registered Rhymnecologist

SNL has always been lots of gems hidden between mediocre stuff. People were saying "it's not as good as it used to be" back in the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey days, too. Those years were hysterical! Maybe it's just too long.

dandy lyons
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:30 am 
Consistently Mediocre

songbird wrote:
Just on the topic of Folk the World...

Does anybody know if they ship to Canada?

Yes they do! :D

I ordered FTW (along with the BBC series) the very day I discovered FotC. 2 years later and I still listen to both on a fairly regular basis. You won't be disappointed. ;)

mockingbird
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Cuse wrote:
SNL has always been lots of gems hidden between mediocre stuff. People were saying "it's not as good as it used to be" back in the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey days, too. :lol: Those years were hysterical! Maybe it's just too long.

:lol: :nod:

trefusis
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 pm 

Oo, have come back to find shiny new place where swooning is banned :lol: .

Probably a good idea... sometimes the pulchritude aspect can become the path of least resistance IYSWIM. And I for one would hate to give the impression that it's the main reason why I like the guys... not to mention that it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Anyway, FIRMLY off the Off Topic...

Sherry wrote:
TBH they ship pretty much everywhere bar the boonies.

Nah, Sherry - they ... being http://www.smokecds.com/ - buy FTW from there right now, if you haven't already... ship out here to the boonies as well. :wink:

(OK, so maybe we aren't that far out... just feels like it sometimes when trying to get deliveries!)

Cuse
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:23 pm 

insound.com is also a great place to find stuff, too. I found the Record Store Day vinyl for Grizzly Bear there for $4 when the only way to get it was to pay over $10 on the secondary market.

LauraK
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:40 pm 
Boom King!

I'm hoping their popularity just keeps creeping up.....with all of the attention and good reviews of the tour maybe that's why I saw this today:

At Target, they had Season One of the show on sale for $18.99 and the (SubPop) CD for $11.99. :)
Anyone in need of those, head to your nearest Target.

When I first found the guys, I had a hard time tracking down S1. I went to Target, KMart, WalMart, FYE and wound up getting it at Best Buy, of all places. I believe I paid around $27.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:43 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Trefusis - I am deeply impressed by your use of the word "pulchritude". :prayer:

Neeke
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 pm 
Keeping it funky

The fact that they are so quick-witted is one of the things I love about them. I too am a thinker and sometimes have those...I should have said moments, usually after the fact. LOL! I also admire their generosity. They give so much of themselves to their fans.

Cuse wrote:
Yeah, this is purely being an outside observer. I have no idea how the creative process goes behind doors. But generally I'd probably agree with the music/lyrics thing, too. And no, I don't mean Jemaine isn't creative. Just that their success has to have a lot to do with his charisma.

Oh, also I think they're both incredibly quick-witted. I like to think that I'm fairly intelligent, but I'm a thinker and need to let things marinate in my brain. If people yelled things out to me at a concert, I'd probably not respond for 5 minutes. :lol:

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

Venus
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:18 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

LauraK wrote:
More proof of their writing talent is in Venus' sig....:)

:nod: Yep, they are such talented songwriters. Their lyrics are cleverly written and delivered with perfect comedic timing during performances :) And of course the script writing for the TV show is brilliant and there are too many priceless quotes to mention.

I also admire their wit. It even comes across in interviews as well as live performances. They're always on the ball :D

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Neeke
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 pm 
Keeping it funky

Bret and Jemaine are two charismatic and extremely talented guys. I am so bummed that I did not discover FOTC until toward the end of S1. Better late than never I suppose. Nonetheless, I look forward to all of the new and interesting creative ideas they will generously share with us.

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

trefusis
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:05 am 

mockingbird wrote:
Trefusis - I am deeply impressed by your use of the word "pulchritude". :prayer:

<waves regally but modestly> :adoration:

<surreptitiously checks dictionary>

deliriumtree
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:35 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

helgecko wrote:
But it also (again, speaking as a non-American, and someone who doesn't watch it) strikes me as something very mainstream. And I really don't see FotC as something that will ever, or should ever be mainstream.

You know...I actually thought Fotc were mainstream now, just because of the size of the places they played and that they only did shows in huge cities. I went into a...oh, what the heck would you call it....retro consignment thrift store? in town and they had pictures of the guys up behind the counter. I just looked at that and instead of being happy I just thought "dang it!" Too me that's just getting too darn popular if women are hanging pictures of you in a retro consignment thrift store! (which is what I'm officially calling that type of store now lol). Is it wrong? Selfish? I'd like them to be a little less popular. I'd like to see them in a small club someday and the more I see these kind of shenanigans going on the more I lose hope for that.

As far as Snl goes...I actually don't think of it as being mainstream anymore cause I hear so many people saying it's not any good. So I thought it was now a nerdy thing to do, which would make it un-mainstream now right? maybe? Also, I've barely known who any of the musical guests are. I knew who green day and Justin Timberlake are...but that's about it. It could be that I just don't know who mainstream artists are though. My boyfriend pointed out to me the other day, when I was beside myself with indignant rage at something my roomate said about Tori Amos, that I only really listen to two people and he has to take what I say on music with a grain of salt... (to which I say hmmph! lol) He did have a point though... I do listen to maybe 5 or 6 really, but mostly just two, so I am in kind of in my own bubble. It's very hard to judge what's mainstream or not in my happy little bubble so who knows? I'm torn at the idea of them being on it though. I would watch it if it were to happen, but then there'd probably be more pictures of them in thrift stores and the like...so sigh.

Corrine
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:16 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

I hear you about them getting too popular. On one hand you want to tell the world about them, so everyone else can enjoy them, but on the other hand, you want to keep them small, so maybe someday you can actually see them in a small venue (or in my case actually obtain a ticket to see them in a large venue.) I'm one of those women who actually watches Oprah fairly regularly, and I was thinking once, wouldn't it be great if FOTC was interviewed on Oprah? Then it hit me, NOOOOOOO, that would be awful, then they would be way too popular!!

Venus
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:32 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Oh yes I definitely understand what you guys mean about their popularity. I love the fact that they're successful on a global scale and that they're being presented with various career opportunities but there's another part of me that doesn't want them to became 'too' popular because things can start going downhill that way as well if you know what I mean. I suppose it is quite a selfish desire since for instance, I would love the opportunity to see them perform live in a small, intimate venue but it's becoming less likely given their success. Oh well I've gone to the point where I just want to see them live full stop. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

songbird
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

I definitely agree with you guys about the popularity thing. I really do want the guys to be successful, but at the same time, I would almost like it more if way less people knew about them...not only that, but the guys have expressed more than once that they're not all that into the whole fame thing. I wish they were less huge right now, because one of the reasons that I really started liking FOTC in the first place was because I'd never even heard of them, and I love having obscure obsessions. At the same time, I'm really happy for all of the guys' success right now though.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next