Futile Attraction

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:59 pm

My copy was waiting for me when I got home today. Along with some posters :) Cool beans

I'm not going to watch it right now. Maybe on the weekend, as I am off then, so will have a bit of down time. Or later in the week. Hopefully when I am in the right frame of mind. Hmmm, hopefully not to far off :P

Have to say, I quite like the cover artwork. Its appealing.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 pm

I got my copy today! I'll probably watch it tonight. I've really been looking forward to it. I also got some posters and even signed by Mark himself!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:39 pm

Y'all are startin' to get on my nerves. :purple:

:waiting: *looks at calendar* :whistle: *glances at watch* :tears:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:25 am

I've watched the first half or so and I'm really enjoying it! I would have watched more, but I'm quite sleepy and need to go to bed. I do have to say that Bret and Jemaine do quite good American accents. If I hadn't known it was them, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:47 am

/me wrote:Y'all are startin' to get on my nerves. :purple:

:waiting: *looks at calendar* :whistle: *glances at watch* :tears:

Don't fret /me! If you wait long enough, it will come. :D :doh:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

/me

Postby /me » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Woohoo! I got my DVD last night! I thought it was very cute. I especially liked all the bits going on in the background, the roommates, and the coffee boy. heh. Who wishes this version of P&P had been released rather than that Keira Knightley abomination? Okay, in fairness, I haven't actually seen the Keira Knightley version; it maybe quite good, but if given the choice between Bret and Jemaine and Keira Knightley, is there really any contest? :wink:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:15 am

I wrote Mark with my thoughts on the movie and he encouraged me to spread the word. He suggested writing comments on any forum or site you hear about movies. The two sites he mentioned to me are www.imdb.com where anyone can review movies or www.aint-it-cool-news.com where you can submit stories about movies.

I haven't quite gotten around to writing up a review for either site yet, but soon, soon! :)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:05 am

/me wrote:Woohoo! I got my DVD last night! I thought it was very cute. I especially liked all the bits going on in the background, the roommates, and the coffee boy. heh. Who wishes this version of P&P had been released rather than that Keira Knightley abomination? Okay, in fairness, I haven't actually seen the Keira Knightley version; it maybe quite good, but if given the choice between Bret and Jemaine and Keira Knightley, is there really any contest? :wink:

Keira Knightley abomination...that refuses to come to my town. :tears:
Bret and Jemaine vs. Keira Knightley slapdown! Who would win? Keira does have those Domino moves, but Bret & Jemaine could team up on her. Are weapons allowed?

I finally got around to writing up a review for Futile Attraction. What do you guys think? Would you watch it based on this review?

Andria wrote:Futile Attraction is a wonderfully off-beat comedy. It is like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of predictable Hollywood plot scenarios. The humor has several levels, ranging from rather subtle verbal acrobatics to classic slapstick (if you’re paying attention.)

It is set in Wellington, New Zealand and revolves around a film crew in the process of filming a documentary about the clients of a dating service. The filmmakers pick a random man for a pre-selected woman and film their interaction over the course of the relationship. The chosen couple is extremely mismatched, which places them in a variety of humorous situations.

There are many great subplots going on throughout the movie. In any given scene there may be two, three, or more, side stories going on at one time. In one instance there could be a conversation between Randal and Germaine (the random man and pre-selected woman), but also a side conversation with the film crew, Dudley & Anne (the presenter and director) bickering, the tribulations of Randal’s geeky flatmates’, and a hilarious background story about a ‘mystery couple’ who began dating the same time as Randal and Germaine.

I have to say that the ‘mystery couple’s storyline is one of my favorite aspects of the movie. Their interaction is played out completely in the background and without any dialogue. If you do see the movie, be sure to watch for the couple in the ‘restaurant scene’. Their interaction with the restaurant employees may have you rolling around the floor with laughter.

Another attribute of the movie that I enjoy greatly is the dialogue between Oscar and Ian (Randal’s geeky flatmates.) Being an admitted Sci-Fi geek myself, the subtle puns regarding a ‘real time depression-era’ computer game and various Star Trek references are classic. But worry not; you don’t need to be a geek to find Oscar and Ian’s antics suitably amusing.

I purchased my copy of Futile Attraction this month, as it was just released outside of New Zealand. I find it remarkable that Mark Prebble was able to complete his movie with the help of Internet donations. Read more about the background story of Futile Attraction (and get yourself a copy) here – www.makemarksmovie.com.

I first read about Futile Attraction on a forum that I post on regularly. A fellow forum member told me about it and referred me to the above website. I liked what I read regarding the premise of the movie and was intrigued by the creative method of completion. When it became available for purchase I promptly bought myself a copy. I didn’t really know what to expect from the movie, but wanted to support this small independent feature. I was not disappointed. If you are into off-beat comedy, this is a great movie for you. I highly recommended it.

:dunno: Hopefully it will help a wee bit. IMDB is so slow, it may take weeks to get it posted in the comments area. Ah well.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:25 pm

Great review, Andria!

/me

Postby /me » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:34 pm

Excellent Andria! I'm glad somebody wrote a review. I am not so good with the putting the words together and their coming out...good...thing.

SayWhat?
Half a shapely halibut

Postby SayWhat? » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:28 am

Keira Knightley abomination...that refuses to come to my town. :tears:
Bret and Jemaine vs. Keira Knightley slapdown! Who would win? Keira does have those Domino moves, but Bret & Jemaine could team up on her.

Now that's a slapdown i'd like to see!

Perhaps it would look something like this; :argue:

Or maybe this; :thump:

And who knows, maybe this; :chick:

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:42 am

Yeah! I got my Futile Attraction today. I just don't think it will play on my DVD player. Waiting for a return e-mail from Mark. La la la la.

/me

Postby /me » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:22 am

Did you try your computer? Mine would only play on my computer DVD player. I'm glad it did tho.

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:37 am

I actually tried the DVD player and it worked. :yay: I am going to watch it tomorrow.

Then I sent a nice note to Mark telling him I didn't need his help. Then I checked my e-mail and saw that I sent it to myself. :?

I'll write him tomorrow, too.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”