It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:41 pm

emmy nominations!!

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: emmy nominations!!

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:53 am

I had no idea!!! I did know Miranda was in EvS though. Is she the one talking to Sally in the very beginning?
closet jemainiac
---

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:55 am

Yeah, she's talking to Sally by the stereo, and then Jem kinda pushes by her to get to Sally :lol: And yes, they're both adorable :D I know when I first found out and I went back and re-watched it, I felt like I was in on some dirty secret and couldn't stop giggling and feeling all special for being in on the secret :roll2:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:58 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Yep that was posted about 2 pages ago, 4ever :)

Sorry , again im having all kinds of trouble with my computer tonight, my entire system is a mess in havin a lot of trouble navigating pages & just about every normal function.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:58 am

Now that I know, I can totally tell that silly googly eyed face :rolleyes: Hannah is making is for real!! :lol:

Miranda looks like she's kinda worried for Sally! :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 am

Haha! I know right? I saw both of those looks too. I could gush for a bit, but I won't :)

And it's ok, 4ever! :)
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 am

So, what about those Emmys? Sure can't wait for Sunday night...

:topic:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:16 am

TVNZ article

Flight of the Conchords spread their wings at the Emmys
The rise of Flight of the Conchords

Published: 10:13AM Thursday September 17, 2009
By Max Bania
Source: ONE News

They may not be bigger than Jesus just yet but with every new award that comes their way, the gospel of the self-proclaimed fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a capella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo in New Zealand continues to spread.

From their live shows, to their hot-selling debut album, to their critically-acclaimed HBO comedy series , Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie are not-at-all-quietly shaping a cultural phenomenon. It used to be that a New Zealander travelling through the US would be incessantly quizzed about the All Blacks. Now, all the locals want to hear about is Flight of the Conchords.

The 2007 Wellingtonians of the Year are everywhere: Starring in advertisements for Outback Steakhouse, making movie cameos and even showing up in Jemaine's home town of Masterton to donate $70,000 to his alma mater .

And every time you think their popularity could soar no higher, you're proven wrong. Now, they stand nominated for an Emmy for best comedy; the holy grail of television awards that would sit fittingly alongside their 2008 Grammy for best comedy album .

With long-running animated sitcom Family Guy and edgy media satire 30 Rock expected to provide the stiffest competition, winning the award would place them alongside some staples of America's TV diet.

And the nominations don't end there: Jemaine will compete with the likes of Steve Carrell, Charlie Sheen and Alec Baldwin for the best actor gong, while the show has also earned nominations for best writing, best directing, best original music and lyrics, and best sound mixing for a comedy or drama.

It's an extraordinary ascent for a comedy duo whose humour was once deemed "too Wellington" for mainstream New Zealand tastes. These days their hilarious set plays and absurdist musical rhapsodies are earning belly laughs from Lincoln, Nebraska to Manhattan's trendy Lower East Side, not to mention the more comedically-refined pastures of Great Britain and beyond.

Former flatmates while at Wellington's Victoria University, Jemaine and Bret could scarcely have imagined the arc their career would take when they formed the Conchords in 1998.

Back then, they had a modest underground following, performing in local Wellington joints and the occasional national comedy revue. Jemaine made a living providing radio and television voiceovers; Bret found fleeting (and hazy) movie exposure as an extra in Lord Of The Rings.

It wasn't until 2002 that the duo attracted international attention when they first performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Two years later, their Flight of the Conchords radio series, which aired on BBC Radio 2, earned them a bronze Sony Radio Academy Award. As their fame grew, they remained true to their in-and-out-of-character persona: Deadpan, introspective, and self-deprecating to the point of farce.

While their musical escapades earned widespread acclaim and respect, it wasn't until their irrepressible talent collided with the sphere of television that they reached their creative zenith.

With talks of a third season on the way, there seems to be no stopping the Conchords' momentum. So how is it that a low-budget, ultra-low-key series featuring "a combination of hopeless losers" (as Bret told ONE News' Tim Wilson in 2007) has so emphatically won the hearts and minds of America, where so many of its deadpan predecessors failed so miserably?

It doesn't hurt that Americans are less wary, and more inclined to be disarmed by the comic stylings of a couple of camera-shy Kiwis than they are by their comic counterparts across the pond. And the Conchords' penchant for catchy musical interludes gives them a quirky cross-genre appeal.

But Bret has his own typically-modest secret to their success to share. "I think they find it funny, just the way we talk," he told ONE News.

But if the Conchords do pull off a coup and secure the best comedy series Emmy, even they may have to revise their opinions of themselves upward.

Perhaps they'll start calling themselves the third most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a capella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo in New Zealand.

Find out how the boys get on at the Emmy Awards on Monday September 21 with our live blog

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 am

That's cool. :) Im so proud of them. I can't wait to watch this on sunday.
Thanks for posting that Venus. :)
ImageImageImageImage
bakergirl30
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 pm

8) I can't wait for Sunday night....:nails:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Im hoping I can get home in time for it. I have a wedding at 3 in Ann Arbor(which most certainly will be running late) and I have to help clean up after... Its already making me nervous.
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Faith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:30 pm

I got my DVR all set up for Sunday. I don't know if I will watch it live or not. I usually will watch it after it is over so I can fast forward through most of the show until I get to people and categories I actually want to see.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:37 pm

I have to check out which channel will be airing it in the UK. If I'm awake, I may see whether there is online streaming.
&
Venus

Postby Maze » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 pm

I hope you get to watch it live, Venus. I'm such a dork I'll probably be doing my darndest to watch different channel coverages of the pre-show Red Carpet.

Noticed that various updates have come through about Emmy performers added - Sarah McLachlan - and presenters like J. Timberlake. Also, bit off topic, read that the NZ PM is headed to David Letterman...

On Thursday, Sept. 24, ... New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, in New York to promote tourism to his country, makes his first U.S. television appearance when he presents the Top Ten List, while musical guests Snow Patrol perform.

Gosh, why Snow Patrol? I imagine FOTC are super duper busy and Jemaine's going to be in Austin then, but wouldn't it be great if the PM and NZ's best 2 cultural ambassadors partnered for the common good?

Still dreaming... :pray:
Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mockingbird » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 pm

My husband is a HUGE football fan, and Sunday night is football night in our house. (We only have one TV.) So I'll be relying on you lovely people for the scoop on what happened. (Unless I go watch it at my mom's.)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Maze wrote:I hope you get to watch it live, Venus. I'm such a dork I'll probably be doing my darndest to watch different channel coverages of the pre-show Red Carpet.

Noticed that various updates have come through about Emmy performers added - Sarah McLachlan - and presenters like J. Timberlake. Also, bit off topic, read that the NZ PM is headed to David Letterman...

On Thursday, Sept. 24, ... New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, in New York to promote tourism to his country, makes his first U.S. television appearance when he presents the Top Ten List, while musical guests Snow Patrol perform.

Gosh, why Snow Patrol? I imagine FOTC are super duper busy and Jemaine's going to be in Austin then, but wouldn't it be great if the PM and NZ's best 2 cultural ambassadors partnered for the common good?

Still dreaming... :pray:

It would be have so cool if FOTC performed too. They've definitely done their bit for NZ tourism :nod:

Ah yes I'll have to look out for pre-show red carpet coverage as well to hopefully catch them walking down the red carpet and someone interviewing them.
&
Venus

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords