Flight of the Conchords for new album and UK live gigs

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Flight of the Conchords for new album and UK live gigs

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Sherry wrote:
Venus wrote:I just saw this posted on a FOTC facebook group. It's obviously hard to tell whether this guy really did get through to FOTC's management and who exactly he spoke to but regardless, this is what he had to say:

"I called up the FOTC management and they told me that they could not confirm the dates in 2010 but did tell me that they were something that they wanted to do, so the NME were pre empting things as usual but it does look like theres a good chance of this coming true."

TBH I've never found the Conchords UK management company very helpful. And if contacted they are always going to be very non commital about a possible 2010 tour. Until its in the bag, signed, sealed and ready to deliver. Then it'll be doing the press rounds very quickly.

They manange some big comedy names with high profiles. The Conchords have been with them a long time so can't see much changing between now and whenever gigs are decided upon.

I think there is every chance the Conchords will tour the UK in 2010. And possibly elsewhere in Europe. If I were a betting person I'd be inclined to think it'd be the summer season and they'd do some festivals and stuff also. Who knows, maybe an all new show to unveil at the Edinburgh Fringe. I think middle of winter or early spring is not going to happen. Those are just my thoughts, I've had nothing to indicate this :lol:

I agree Sherry. It is much more likely for them to perform in the summer which will open up the opportunity of playing at various British festivals just as long as they don't have any other prior arrangements for that summer.

May (especially mid-late May) would be a tricky time for me but other months should be okay :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Maze » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Venus wrote:I just saw this posted on a FOTC facebook group. It's obviously hard to tell whether this guy really did get through to FOTC's management and who exactly he spoke to but regardless, this is what he had to say:

"I called up the FOTC management and they told me that they could not confirm the dates in 2010 but did tell me that they were something that they wanted to do, so the NME were pre empting things as usual but it does look like theres a good chance of this coming true."

I like the part about FOTC wanting to do something in the UK - that sounds hopeful! :pray:

It's seems pretty scuzzy of NME to try to recycle old news/something the boys have mentioned previously as an "exclusive". (Though I imagine that's what how quite a few media outlets operate.) When I read the Sept 1 post, it struck me as odd that they mention a statement without actually quoting anyone...
In a statement they also revealed that they would play UK live dates in early 2010 – but have not revealed details of specific shows yet.

Then on Sept 11, the tone is much less emphatic...
The duo have previously suggested they will play UK gigs early next year.

I haven't picked up an NME for years but wondering, are they the equivalent of a National Enquirer or some other kind of rag?

What a sorry position to put FOTC in - but again, who wouldn't want to tour the UK??? Fanbase is strong! And look at all the excitement it's generated abroad! :D

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:35 pm

I don't usually read NME but from some other opinions I've read about the magazine, they are known to jump the gun on occasions. I've been dubious as well about the alleged 'statement' and others have commented that they haven't seen this statement anywhere else but Bret & Jemaine have previously said themselves on various occasions that they would like to tour the UK and Europe next year so I believe it is very likely that they will :pray:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 am

Maze wrote:I haven't picked up an NME for years but wondering, are they the equivalent of a National Enquirer or some other kind of rag?

What a sorry position to put FOTC in - but again, who wouldn't want to tour the UK??? Fanbase is strong! And look at all the excitement it's generated abroad! :D

NME are far from National Enquirer level. They are a serious music magazine. And even serious publications get things wrong from time to time.

I figure they took what has been reported elsewhere online and included it. They may well have confirmed it, who knows. Its far from a scoop to a core group of fans who read forums and stuff, but to the general masses its a bit newsworthy. But then NME doesn't have a massive readership on the scale of things. Its still a small scale thing when you think about it. Plus readship isn't as high as it was going back a number of years before internet etc. Readership has taken a hit IIRC.

I don't think its put the Conchords in an awkward postion at all. They have indicated they would like to tour the UK in 2010 so there is a good chance that will happen. Plus they played here every summer for 4 years and did small tours so them returning to one of the places where they garnered their repuation as a comedy live act isn't unreasonable to think.

They also retain UK management and have done so for many years. I think thats a fair indication that they have not closed the door on the UK and possibly elsewhere in Europe.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”