Freaking out over I Told You I Was Freaky - the new album

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Freaking out over I Told You I Was Freaky - the new album

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

The S1 tv eps didn't grab me intially. They took time to grow on me and my appreciation grew the more I saw them. It's the opposite with S2. When I initially watched them on HBO I generally enjoyed them quite alot with the exception of maybe 2 eps but I'm not finding them holding up very well to multiple viewing in the same way S1 was. The fact that I compare the 2 probably says that S2 wasn't strong enough to me to be able to put S1 out of my mind. I wouldn't make these comparisons I guess if I felt that S2 was on an equal par of S1.

You're right about the 2nd CD being the same as the show versions so to pan it for such isn't really fair. And BTW I'm not panning it. I don't dislike it but it does nothing for me either so I haven't felt the need to listen to it more than once. I guess I'm not very good at articulating what I feel is lacking in it so I'll stop rambling. Heck, maybe I'll give it another listen on the ride home today and maybe I'll be in the mood to better appreciate it.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I do completely understand what you're saying, SW. You're feeling somewhat neutral about it. The material is different, that's for sure, and may just not be tripping your trigger. Perhaps a second listen will end up being refreshing.

And, thanks CJ! :D
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby claire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:04 pm

i'm liking the cd so far mostly cuz i wasn't crazy about season 2 and only watched it once (when it aired) so i still don't know the songs very well so it's neat to hear them in the confines of my car so i can pick up on everything they're saying, i got a couple of chuckles out of it, i kind of agree i can't see myself listening to it again and again cuz i don't love these songs anywhere near as much as i love their previous songs (nothing can compare with the ftw version of angels to me and i didn't listen to this version of petrov but i'm assuming it's the same version that was on the show so i'll skip it cuz i still can't for the life of me understand why they excluded jemaine from it, he's hysterical on the ftw version) what episode was rambling through the avenues of time from i don't remember that one at all, that one was cute, i really should go back and rewatch s2 but just haven't gotten around to it...
that's frozen cool...
claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Claire - That song was at the beginning of "Wingmen" - with freaky little, honey-stealing Bret, Savannah, the cheap zoo, 60-odd goldfish, the return of John the mugger, and Jemaine as the Hamburglar. And Murray and Greg - and Dave and Mel.
Last edited by Hot Jam on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby claire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm

ohhhhh okay now i think i remember thanks hj! i really have to go back and re-watch s2 i'm sure i missed a lot...
that's frozen cool...
claire

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Hot Jam wrote:Hi Claire - That song was at the beginning of "Wingmen" - with freaky little, honey-stealing Bret, Savannah, the cheap zoo, 60-odd goldfish, the return of John the mugger, and Jemaine as the Hamburglar. And Murray and Greg - and Dave and Mel.

Yes and "chicken torso!"
Freekie isn't my favorite song, but it's one of my favorite vids of theirs.
And this is a funny episode...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby LauraK » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Petrov is the only one on the new CD that I keep skipping over. I've only listened to it once all the way through and that was for Jacob to hear it. He agrees that FTW's version is superior.

I understand how a lot of the songs need to be sped up/condensed to fit within the show, but any time there's a longer version, that's what I want to hear.

What are the songs that didn't make it on the show?

Only ones I can think of off-hand are Bus Driver's Song (music-only over end credits doesn't count, in my book) and Hotties.

There must be more.....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 pm

claire wrote: what episode was rambling through the avenues of time from i don't remember that one at all, ..
It was completely forgettable to me as well. :lol: It's kind of like the Cheer Up Murray of season 2 (then again that entire episode was painful for me to watch so that may explain that). And the fact that the Jemaine bits are left in on the CD is just too weird for me. Some of what he's saying makes no sense unless you are watching the show. I also dislike Dave's bit in Sugalumps, way to ruin a good song bozo. I can't believe they left his bit in for the "official" version. Shameful. :tsk: Unless he profits in some way by having his voice on the CD then it's good on ya boys for being so good to your friends. Sorry, I'm bitching alot today aren't I? On the up side, I don't mind the Petrov version. I like Bret's voice and old sound it has. It's so different from the FTW version that I can accept it as it's own thing.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Freekie isn't my favorite song, .
Mine either and it pains me because when they debuted it last year on tour I loved it. It was one of my favorite songs. But the way it was changed for the show didn't do it for me.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:31 pm

:lol: at SW calling Dave a bozo :lol:

Dont care for Petrov, but dont know what version you guys are refering to...
Freakie is ok..not high on the list..]

is hotties that song with the kazoo?
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Taste is very interesting and unique indeed. The very reasons that you list why you don't like these songs, SW, are some of the reasons that I do! I mean, I don't wait with bated breath for Dave's bit but it's part of the song so... This version of Petrov is memorable to me because of the visuals I get based on the episode as opposed to the FTW version, where I picture J&B on stage, sitting on their stools. I love that version of Mermaids too.

CJ, Hotties has Sweet Suzy Sue playing the tuba, possibly the lyre (unless it's just a play on words), as well as the didgeridoo - but not the zazoo too!

There are a couple of songs that I'd enjoy hearing (some maybe need a bit of fleshing out and some just as they are) and having on the various CDs: Bret's dissing all of the rappers song; the song they're playing on stage in the S2 opener; Bret's song for Sally (euch); the Sally I love you, you, you you you you you song; Rock the Party; Jemaine's pre-Demon Woman She Wolf song; Stay Cool Bret; Femident...I can't think of any others. Oh yeah, also Murray's opening song from the first S2 episode; The Doggie Bounce; the instrumental from Bret's angry dance/end of S1; and the pepileptic dog song. Yes, sounds excessive but I'd seriously love to have all of these. :nod:
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 pm

LauraK wrote:
Only ones I can think of off-hand are Bus Driver's Song (music-only over end credits doesn't count, in my book) and Hotties.

Nothing wrong. That would be the CSI episode of fotc though.. :D

SheWolf wrote: Mine either and it pains me because when they debuted it last year on tour I loved it. It was one of my favorite songs. But the way it was changed for the show didn't do it for me.

I think of it as the "youtube" version of freekie cause I didn't hear it live, but I liked Jemaine starting it off sooo much better! I understand why they did it the way it is for the show. But, I prefer that arrangement to the album version. I'm like that with a lot of live stuff though. Live can have so much more heart and soul than an album version.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree

Postby DaMango » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 pm

You guys make some good points. The songs from Season 1 do make a better stand alone album, because they did stand alone for so many years. The new album is more like the "Season 2 Original Soundtrack". Do you think it would've received better reviews if it were marketed as a soundtrack? Hmm... :hrm:
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Venus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 am

closet jemainiac wrote::lol: at SW calling Dave a bozo :lol:

Dont care for Petrov, but dont know what version you guys are refering to...
Freakie is ok..not high on the list..]

is hotties that song with the kazoo?

Bret played the kazoo when they performed Hotties back in the day on Newtown Salad. And when people are referring to the other version of Petrov, it's from FOTC's 'Folk The World' album (highly recommended if you don't own it already. It contains excellent versions of songs such as Hotties, Bus Driver's Song, Angels, Mermaids, Something Special for the Ladies aka Ladies of the World and the lesser known song Nothin' Wrong)

Hot Jam wrote:There are a couple of songs that I'd enjoy hearing (some maybe need a bit of fleshing out and some just as they are) and having on the various CDs: Bret's dissing all of the rappers song; the song they're playing on stage in the S2 opener; Bret's song for Sally (euch); the Sally I love you, you, you you you you you song; Rock the Party; Jemaine's pre-Demon Woman She Wolf song; Stay Cool Bret; Femident...I can't think of any others. Oh yeah, also Murray's opening song from the first S2 episode; The Doggie Bounce; the instrumental from Bret's angry dance/end of S1; and the pepileptic dog song. Yes, sounds excessive but I'd seriously love to have all of these. :nod:

Oh I agree! I have an mp3 of 'Rock Beat' (the song they perform in the first episode of Season 2) and a few other small songs and I love them :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Hot Jam » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 am

Venus - Ohhh, yes, about the kazoo (I was silly and thought CJ meant someone in the song playing it). And that's really cool that you have Rock Beat and a couple of others! Did you purchase these as downloads or capture them from the DVD?

DaMango - I actually do think that might have made a difference. That's what it is anyway...more so than the first. I actually consider the S1 episodes as a kind of videotrack of those long existing songs.
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords