It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

Re: Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Postby Faith » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:13 am

Jean has worked on the show for much of its 22 seasons and spin-off feature film which earned more than US$500 at the box office in 2007.

I hope this is a typo. :lol:
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby LauraK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 am

We just let them come in and do what they do. I really miss that show so we created half an episode for ourselves."

I think every good comedy show should do the same thing. FOTC on 30 Rock? The Office? :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 am

Yes! On 30 Rock! Which would lead to them hosting and being the musical guests on SNL. Yes! :yay: Okay, I can dream, can't I?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Another article in the run up to its broadcast in NZ:

Conchords in flight on Simpsons
STACEY WOOD
Last updated 09:28 04/02/2011

You know you've made it when you get a guest spot on The Simpsons. Not many Kiwis have done it - Sam Neill, Lucy Lawless and now the Flight of the Conchords.

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement guest-star as camp counsellors in the Simpsons episode Elementary School Musical, which airs on Four this Sunday. The stars of high school comedy Glee also appear in the episode, and Wellington's own Botanic Gardens get a shout-out.

Getting a guest spot on The Simpsons is a badge of honour for celebrities - other guests in this season include Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg and Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe. Even street artist Banksy designed an opening sequence "couch gag".

Simpsons writer Al Jean says he's a big Conchords fan and was keen to get them on the show. "We actually requested them, and I think their answer was 'Hell yeah', or even something stronger.

"I love their series, especially the episode where Jemaine slept with the Australian girl. We might have helped them get a few more fans over here, but they need no help in being popular."

Jean, 50, studied at Harvard in the early 80s and joined The Simpsons as one of the show's first writers in 1989. As the show runner, he now oversees all script writing, editing, and every aspect of the budget.

He says it is "surreal" that the show has become such a huge part of popular culture. "When you hear things like 'D'oh!' is in the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Pope endorses The Simpsons, you step back and go 'What?' "

He and his team of writers are now at work on the 23rd season, which will take them over the 500-episode mark.

"It's beyond comprehension. You know if you get to 100 episodes you're a hit, 200 is amazing, so I just can't believe it. When I joined the show I didn't think this was a lifetime calling, but it's the best thing in the world to work on The Simpsons."

See the Conchords in The Simpsons on Sunday at 6pm on Four.

Get a sneak peek

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Previous

Return to Flight of The Conchords