It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:40 am

Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

Re: Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm

nonch, if a celebrity voice does the Simpsons, they can either play themselves (Ron Howard, Sting, Sonic Youth) or a character (Dustin Hoffman as Lisa's beloved teacher, Michael Jackson as the guy who thinks he's Michael Jackson, and John Waters as wacky gay neighbor "John".)

I haven't watched The Simpsons much in the last 5 years or so, but I have watched the past seasons dozens of times. It's one of the great cultural icons of the 20th century. I don't think I'm overstating it.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Deirdre » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:I just got this texted to my mobile. I wonder if this means new original songs? :pray:

Excerpt from interview:

"Al Jean:Elementary School Musical, written by Tim Long, has Lisa spending a week at arts camp, where Jemaine and Bret are the counselors, featuring original songs by the Conchords. When Lisa returns to real life, she is very unhappy, until she visits Jemaine and Bret at home and discovers the life of an artist isn't all it's cracked up to be.''

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEII05cAPoBXMI

Ooo, that sounds so good! I can't wait. :whitey:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am

So I'm guessing that means they'll be in it for a good portion of the episode :D ?

I assumed it would be just a tiny piece, like when Elvis Costello was in it.
kipples

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:34 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:"Al Jean:Elementary School Musical, written by Tim Long, has Lisa spending a week at arts camp, where Jemaine and Bret are the counselors, featuring original songs by the Conchords. When Lisa returns to real life, she is very unhappy, until she visits Jemaine and Bret at home and discovers the life of an artist isn't all it's cracked up to be.''

:o :D This sounds so awesome, you guys, I don't even have words to describe it. My two great loves, together... :biggrin: I mean I knew they were going to be on the show but I thought the same as kipples, that they'd only be on it a little bit. I am dying to hear about their disillusioning home life. :purple:

I wonder about the original songs too... I imagine they don't mean new songs or they would've said so. But that would be cool. Any guesses as to what songs they play? ;) I bet they do Issues or maybe Sellotape.

mohumbhai mania wrote:I haven't watched The Simpsons much in the last 5 years or so, but I have watched the past seasons dozens of times. It's one of the great cultural icons of the 20th century. I don't think I'm overstating it.

Ditto to all that.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Venus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 am

I'm excited too! :yay: From the article I posted on the second page:
...This episode, slated to be the Simpsons' season premiere this year, features three original songs by Long -- one sung by the cast of Fox-TV's Glee, and the other two performed by Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie of HBO's Flight of the Conchords.

So I guess this means Bret and Jemaine will be singing two completely new songs written by Tim Long? :dunno:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:30 am

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I had to Google Tim Long. :worry: So he's a comedy writer who has done a lot of stuff for The Simpsons but it seems weird to me that he wrote the songs because I didn't see anything about him being a songwriter at all. Maybe they collaborated?
mockingbird

Postby Venus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 am

Yeah I was thinking that too. A collaboration is likely to have happened.
&
Venus

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 am

Sounds like fun. I wonder if they'll render the Conchords New York appartment. Them lying in bed... So much to imagine, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

And yeah, I'm in the the MM and Mock camp. Used to love it and follow it weekly. But it's been old for a while.
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby kipples » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 am

I remember a time when I was younger then Bart Simpson!

The first time I ever saw it was when we were on holiday in Ireland visiting relatives. And when they announced it was going to be shown twice on a Sunday, it was more exciting then Christmas. Nowadays your bound to find it playing on some channel anytime between 3pm and 9pm.
kipples

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:01 am

A glimpse behind the scenes of the Conchords Simpsons episode:

Hee hee! ;)
mockingbird

Postby Venus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Haha! :lol: :thumb:
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:00 pm

New songs sung by the guys?!?!! :whitey: A month.....how I adore sweet anticipation. :heart: :whitey: :heart:

mohumbhai mania wrote:nonch, if a celebrity voice does the Simpsons, they can either play themselves (Ron Howard, Sting, Sonic Youth) or a character (Dustin Hoffman as Lisa's beloved teacher, Michael Jackson as the guy who thinks he's Michael Jackson, and John Waters as wacky gay neighbor "John".)

Thanks, MM. I must watch a few of these episodes. :lol: Bret and Jemaine are brilliant voice actors. The BBC radio show showcases it so well. Even the scene in the HBO series, Season 2 "The New Cup" when they are sitting in the dark. Brilliant.

:rolls: @ mockingbird. Where is your Simpsonized Bret and Jemaine? Gawd they were cute. :nod: Did you do more than one version?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:06 am

First Look: The Cast of GLEE Gets Simpsonized
By theTVaddict on August 27th, 2010

When THE SIMPSONS return for their twenty-second season on September 26, they’ll be doing so with a little help from their friends. In a move that is surely “corporate synergy” to Rupert Murdoch’s ears, GLEE stars Lea Michele (pictured above), Amber Riley and Cory Monteith will voice just a few of the musically inclined campers that encourage Lisa to embrace her creative side when Marge surprises her with a week-long retreat at a performing arts camp while Bart and Homer are off accompanying Krusty to accept his Nobel Peace Prize. More first look photos of “Elementary School Musical” — including a look at the artsy camp counsellors voiced by FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie — can be found after the jump.

Source

8) 8)

Click here for a bigger version of the image
&
Venus

Postby mockingbird » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:13 am

Hee hee!!!! :purple: Bret looks so depressed. I think Jemaine actually owns that jacket, lol.
mockingbird

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:59 am

Oh, this ought to be good! :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta