It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:58 am

WTF! forum - Options for the future (its not so distant now)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

WTF! forum - Options for the future (its not so distant now)

Postby Sherry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:57 am

Hello anyone reading this. Hope you are happy and well :)

Its been a long while since I posted on here. When I stepped back from updating the main site I pretty much left the ship that is forum shaped in the hands of the wonderful trusty Venus and the lovely Nancy. Thank you times a million plus infinity ladies. Without you it would not have been running over the past few years :D

Now, on to the forum news. I've been discussing with Venus my thoughts about what to do with the forum from here on out. I am not going to do anything rash (its been years after all, so whatever happens won't just happen overnight :lol: ) but would like to know if anyone has any feedback, thoughts or suggestions before I sit down and make any final decisions.

I will be honest here and say my preference is to close the forum in the not too distant future, archive all the threads/posts and then as with the main site, leave it all here online for future reference. I am working out from the amount of live traffic the forum has had for a fair while now, how quiet it is on the Conchords front overall and that without more output on a regular basis from the Conchords the volume of people visting and posting on the forum will not increase much at all and only a small number are really active and posting these days. Also social media, filesharing and other platforms have taken over a large portion of how fans interact and how they contribute or enjoy the Conchords. Nothing wrong with that, times change, things progress, people move on.

You are welcome to reply here, PM or email me at the old WTF email found on the main site.

Cheers

Sherry
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: WTF! forum - Options for the future (its not so distant

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 am

:( :tears: I understand, but it still makes me sad. It was wonderful to speak with Bret this past spring and mention being a moderator on WTF, and see his face light up with recognition.
I think one of my favorite WTF moments that I shared with him was all of us from all around the world watching the Academy Awards at the same time and squealing with delight when he won.(as only we can with all our emoticons!) And as usual, he was his unassuming self, saying, "yeah, yeah, that was pretty cool."
So many friendships have begun here, and six years later we still meet up! Thank you, Sherry, for making this site a welcome, happy place and a home for all of us to gush about our two favorite guys. :love:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm

:nod: This forum has been and still is a special place for all of us and it has been an absolute pleasure to keep things running while Sherry took a step back. I've met many wonderful people because of this forum. Nothing has been set in stone yet but given the current levels of activity, we would like any feedback on whether or not the forum should be kept open and perhaps any suggestions to increase membership and activity. The forum was at its peak while the TV show was airing but now things are quieter on the Conchords front, the forum has also become quieter. I also agree that social media has changed how fans interact but whatever happens, WTF! will still continue on social networks for the time being. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Sherry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:54 am

Thank you ladies :)

Given current activity levels, its looking like the forum will close its doors in the not too distant future. I had thought to keep it open till the WIUO tour in the US had taken place but that is a ways off yet apparently and in all honesty, if the forum is a quiet as it is, there seems little point to keeping it open just to wait for that to come round. However, if people wish otherwise, let Venus know or reply here.

Should the Conchords at any point in the future plan a large tour, make another series of their TV show or do some other project together that may see an influx of fans return to posting online or new ones sign up wanting to, I will be happy to consider re opening the forum at that time for as long as interest is there and the forum actively being used as in people logging in and posting to the forum.

Cheers

Sherry
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18 am

Just giving this a bump.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby gibbsrus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:16 pm

sad face but I guess it's understandable. I guess as long as everything stays here as a 'reference' I could go on. Without What the Folk, my licence plates on my car just kind of lose a little bit of zing :(
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm

I vote to keep it open a little longer... :roll:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby LauraK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 am

I also vote to keep it open.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

I guess my reluctance to close it is that I just feel like social media is so unstructured and overwhelming, even though i enjoy Twitter and Vesna has done an awesome job on the feeds, not to mention emira. I'm not a fan of Facebook, but I'd love there to be maybe a mailing list or a tiny message board to keep in touch, make plans to meet, etc. Just my thoughts.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Amanda » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 pm

I would also like to keep it open.
Interviews like the one on The Guardian today, I would really like to be able to comment on them with you here rather than on FB or twitter.
I would really like to continue to come here for updates on both Bret and Jemaine and see pictures and read your comments.

Why are you considering closing it, Sherry? Is it only because it has become so much quiet or are there any further reasons?
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Sherry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 am

Amanda wrote:Why are you considering closing it, Sherry? Is it only because it has become so much quiet or are there any further reasons?

Pretty much that. Hardly any posts in recent months, many of the longer standing members logged off a while back and have not logged back in. Perhaps they are lurking as 'guests' for whatever reason, but that doesn't help keep the forum ticking over in terms of knowing people are actively using it, seeing it being used. I don't look at it often but when I do I see a real tail off in terms of posting and active members. Many people new to the Conchords use social media, other outlets. Forums are strange beasts and not as many venture in to them.

I left the forum open back then for the hardcore group who were using it as you wanted somewhere to post and to carry on sharing on here. The intention was that for as long as it was being used and until such time as it was gathering dust and people had drifted away, it would be left open. Given its current activity levels, I question that perhaps now is the time to close it once and for all. I understand people come and go, its the nature of forums, most have gone it would seem and very few appear to join these days. I figured that perhaps the forum's time was coming to its natural end.

I realised that ceasing with the main site would proably mean the forum suffered in terms of activity and new member sign ups and the like. The knock on effect.

Since posting this, no one has emailed or PM'd myself (or Venus that I know of) and the only replies on the subject are here.

I'm carefully looking at the site traffic, forum stats and other things to see what is happening with it all.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I completely understand Sherry. I'd just like a way for the old crew to update each other while maintaining a little privacy when the forums close. I'm figuring that there's no "if" involved now.

Another way to increase traffic might be to tweak the front page so that the link to the forums is a bit more prominent. Or cross-promote on FB or Twitter somehow.

But it's true. Traffic is way down.

Cecile

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:57 pm

I'd like the forum to remain open. The guys have several projects in the works and I'd like to be able to visit for the latest news, photos, and discussions. I wouldn't want the guys to think we've lost interest or devotion and servitude. :iloveyou:

If you don't have the correct pages in your FB feed you won't see all of the latest news and photos. However, WTF is always the go-to and it is available all of time. I love FB & twitter but it can be very distracting. I find it difficult to go to either social network and not get caught up on other things as well and I just don't have the time for all of it. Our forum is home when you are missing the guys or looking for something in particular. Facebook will never provide that benefit.

Also, I think we all share a common interest in co-horts and WIUO has upcoming tours, including the U.S. woohoo! I think Taika has a couple projects in the works and The Black Seeds are always making new music. These are extras that mean so much.

I may not have time to post often but I do visit regularly.

Last but not least, the forum exists on the friendships and bonds we've made over the years. It would be too sad to lose that. Yes, we can exchange emails, phone numbers, FB etc but it's not special or sentimental the way the forum is to us.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 pm

That shiny new forum button on the front page looks great!!!

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:06 am

I just wanted pop on to say that I check the forum regularly and I am so very grateful for Venus and all of you who have continued to take the time to gather, post and discuss the latest Conchord info here on WTF! I'm still very interested in anything FoTC related and I will be quite sad to see the forum shut down.

I consider my time spent as an active member of WTF! as some of the greatest, most hilarious, creative and probably silliest moments I've spent online (or off!). I'm proud of every contest I entered, award bestowed, and I must say...the hundreds of pages of photos I posted. :horny: More importantly tho, the people I've met here - I consider true friends. Honestly, I feel like I could drop by any of your houses and we could talk and laugh for hours. (and don't forget...I have many of your addresses, so...)

I completely agree that Twitter, FB, Insta and the rest just can't deliver the goods in the same way.

I also vote to keep the forum open. (we are voting, right Sherry? :macarena: )

*sigh* and if you really have to close it...please know that you have my deepest thanks for everything. It was a hell of a ride. :heart:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Next

Return to Flight of The Conchords