It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:24 am

I'm sorry but

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

I'm sorry but

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 am

if you are such a fan, enough to devote webspace to the Conchords then at least be able to spell their names correctly :thump:

Seeing Jemaine, clearly pronounced without an 'r' spelt 'Jermaine' and Bret spelt with 2 T's is just wrong. Yes people not familiar with the show or the Conchords might spell their names incorrectly but if you are a fan, watch the show, see the credits with their names spelt correctly, then I reckon there is really no excuse :fence:

Yes my mini rant was because of a blog thing on the Conchords HBO series. The entire thing had not one correct spelling of the name Jemaine. It was spelt Jermaine each time. Thankfully Bret was spelt correctly.

And yes, I did leave a comment correcting the error :roll:

It irks me more as I am one of those people whose name is mispelt and mispronounced more often that not. I find it annoying as I spell it out clearly each time I am asked, pronounce it also as it should be said and I still get people saying 'Thank you Ms Andrews' or using some other surname like Andreas. Hello there is a 'de' there first. And I told you that. And then said 'SPACE NEW WORD' and spelt out and said the rest of my surname. I do so and then you repeat it back to me totally incorrectly and I am annoyed. You have this job, dealing with the public so I expect a basic grasp of the English language. Enough to spell my name when given to you. Even if it is of Spanish origin. I've still told you exactly how it should be :cross: :cross: :cross:

So yes I am a name demon. And also on behalf of others, especially the Conchords. Get it right. There is no excuse.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: I'm sorry but

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 am

Heh, having posted this lil rant, I check back on the site that caused my annoyance this morning (after having been woken 4 times in the night, been kept awake for ages each time, then woken at 6am and had to get up up, only to have to deal with an explosive nappy and therefore bath baby before 7am) and lo, the pages are pulled, then a few minutes later all reappear with correct spellings of the name 'Jemaine'

O and my comment about the misspelling has been removed :hrm: I think I shall post again thanking them for correcting their typo so quickly :type: :purple:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby SheWolf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm

My cousin Sheri gets irked by her name being mispelt often. Do you also get people singing "Sherrrrryybaaa-aaaa-bby" (Frankie Valli) to you? I'm told that's the worst offense. :lol:

My name can be spelled a gazillion ways but I actually like alot of the mispellings, except the most common one, Laurie = yeuch. :hrmpf:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Val2150 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 pm

My name gets misspelled pretty often to and it really irritates me. Excuse me, but where on earth would someone get "Vallery" even after I told them how to spell it properly? Grrrrr.... :hrmpf:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SheWolf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm

um I thought there was only one way to spell Valerie. How weird.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 pm

SheWolf wrote:My cousin Sheri gets irked by her name being mispelt often. Do you also get people singing "Sherrrrryybaaa-aaaa-bby" (Frankie Valli) to you? I'm told that's the worst offense. :lol:

Nope, never had one rendition of that sung to me. I guess over here its not really a known song that springs into peoples minds. At least not those under 50 :lol:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby mockingbird » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 pm

I know what you mean, Sherry - people used to spell my name wrong all the time, before I got married. And about the Conchords thing - I can't tell you how many posters I saw on the contest thingy that had their names misspelled! Some were on purpose to be funny, but some clearly weren't. One poor sap spelled it "Chonchords" on every poster they made.

SheWolf wrote: Do you also get people singing "Sherrrrryybaaa-aaaa-bby" (Frankie Valli) to you? I'm told that's the worst offense. :lol:

I get people singing "Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to? 867-5309..." It's annoying on so many levels, not the least of which being I can not stand to be called Jenny!
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Sherry wrote:Nope, never had one rendition of that sung to me. I guess over here its not really a known song that springs into peoples minds. At least not those under 50 :lol:

How about that Steve Perry song? "Oh, Sherry, I'm in love! Hold on, hold o-o-on.."
mockingbird

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 pm

mockingbird wrote:How about that Steve Perry song? "Oh, Sherry, I'm in love! Hold on, hold o-o-on.."

Nope not that one either. No one ever comments on Sherry :lol:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby tvldiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm right there with you, Sherry. You can't imagine how many ways people can misspell Vanessa. It wasn't so bad when I was younger but in the last 20 years or so, too many have changed the spelling to be "unique". :roll:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby LSully9 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:49 am

Oh how I know this annoyance! My name is Lynann (pronounced Lyn-ann). Not Lyann, or Lynnann, or Lynneanne, or Leeann. I had a teacher once that insisted on calling me Susan (I don't know how she got that, it's not even close). I have 3 voter registration cards because they kept spelling my name wrong and the best part is, they never cancelled the other 2 (so I can vote 3 times, but unfortunately, I also get called for jury duty for the extra names as well... :roll: ). My professional license was originally issued to Lyman ( :shock: ), that was fun trying to get fixed... lol! So I've come to expect the worst when I tell people my name. But when I met Jemaine last year, not only did he say my name right (Image), he spelled it right! And that meant the world to me, really it did: that my own teachers, government, and professional organization can't spell my name right, but this total stranger can. So in gratitude, I always correct when I see his name spelt wrong.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby mockingbird » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:11 am

LSully9 wrote:he spelled it right!

That is impressive. I don't think Lynann would be my first choice, if I just heard you say it. I'd probably spell it Lynnann(e). :doomed: I'm one of *those* people! Sorry. I get it a lot too. Apparently a lot of people want to spell Jennifer with one "n", even though I've never met a Jennifer who actually spelled it that way. I've actually seen it misspelled as Jeniffer. :lol:

There's a little girl down the street named Raelynn. This is just a semi-educated guess as to the spelling. It's hard when you always just hear the name and never see it written out. I remember names much better when I see them.
mockingbird

Postby halokiti » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:23 am

I've had my name spelled Erica, Ericka, and Erika. It's Erica. So I totally understand. Sorry to say, I've made the mistake of spelling Jemaine with an "r." :shock: I'm a lot more careful now.
halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 am

Who spells their name Micheal? Not me. It's Michael! How friggin' hard is that???
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby H.... » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am

I noticed the other day that in the radio series chapter titles, Jemaine was given the forbidden 'r' for 'Jemaine's going to do it'. Grr.
Throw us your potatoes!
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Next

Return to Flight of The Conchords