It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:23 am

The Black Seeds

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

The Black Seeds

Postby Andria » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:17 am

I just got Keep on Pushing/Pushed today. Usually I am not a big reggae fan, but I love this CD! Anyone else share my sentiments?
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Oh yeah! That was the first CD of the many that I ordered recently to arrive and I've been listening to it quite a lot. I particularly like Black Sunrise. I like the fact that their sound isn't pure reggae. There's some funk and jazz thrown in, too.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Andria » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:43 am

indigo_jones wrote: I like the fact that their sound isn't pure reggae. There's some funk and jazz thrown in, too.

Maybe that's what it is. Funk, jazz and reggae mixture. Funky.

:D I love Little Atoms at the moment.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Sherry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:47 pm

Its my summer in the kitchen cooking up a storm music 8)

I love cooking to this kind of music for some reason. I think its because I like to dance when I cook. Food tastes so much better when you are in a good mood.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby EvilMoose » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:44 pm

If anyone's interested, Keep on Pushing (the orignal and two remixes) and Prototype are available on iTunes.
To me religion seems like a bunch of people talking to their imaginary friend. - Dylan Moran
EvilMoose
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:55 am

I usually can't stand this sort of music (because I can't really see myself listening to it outside a club setting) but it's surprisingly decent.

He's a pretty good keyboardist too. Honestly, is there anything Bret can't do (aside from singing like a woman convincingly)?
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:59 am

He's definitely got the chops to move into styles that would showcase his keyboard skills even more -- something along the lines of Jimmy Smith's Root Down. (Some of you might know that song better from the Beastie Boys variation). That's what I always think of when I hear him in The Black Seeds.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby Amaria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:01 am

I agree. I wonder though what he considers his main instrument. Because he's a drummer too, no? Wonder which one he considers himself best at.

Hmm...I just realized we can find out at the Q+A! Fantastic. :D
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:05 am

Heh. That was one of the questions I was thinking of putting to him! (The husband-type person is a drummer, so that's just one more reason for me to like Bret)

indigo_jones

Postby Amaria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:10 am

Along with "will you marry me" right? Cause you volunteered and you'd better not back down!

Bret does look like he enjoys drumming from the photos I've seen. He's just really got a great sense of rhythm, doesn't he -- dancing, beat boxing, drums, et cetera? Wonder how that talent lends itself to other aspects of er...life?
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:14 am

Mmmmm. Beat boxing.

*ahem*

Am I doing Fluffy proud? :oops:
(seriously, I think I'm blushing right now!)

indigo_jones

Postby Amaria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:23 am

I swear, with you ladies, you put "mmmm" in front of anything and it manages to become slightly dirty.

Mmmm...guitars.
Mmmm...pies.
Mmmm...tea parties.

;)
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:29 am

Now see, you've put all these naughty thoughts into my head! :)

And you're the one that mentioned beat boxing!

indigo_jones

Postby Amaria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:35 am

Yeah, but I didn't put "Mmmm" in front of it!
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Andria » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:59 am

No, no more mmmming. Stop it! :wink: You don't know what you're doin' to me!

I have been listening to Pushed more than Keep on Pushing lately. I'm not usually a remix fan but, again, they've pulled me in! I need to thank the guys for introducing me to The Black Seeds! More joy!

I have blown out one of the earphones on my iPod with all the bass in Pushed...:oops: Only the second time I've done that in...a year. But, anyway...err, I've forgotten where I was going with this post. Curse those spiked doughnuts! :devil:
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie