What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next
nonchalant obsession
 Post subject: Re: The Black Seeds
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:34 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Thanks for posting Barnaby's kick in the pants! So true. He's awesome. Oh Venus you get to see the guys...tomorrow! Heehee when Nigel said they were going to revamp a few songs, I giggled and imagined the new 'harvest song'....

TAKE PICTURES! HAVE FUN! :hug:

Venus
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:58 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

nonchalant obsession wrote:
Thanks for posting Barnaby's kick in the pants! So true. He's awesome.

:nod: I adore his talent and work ethic! :heart:

Quote:
Oh Venus you get to see the guys...tomorrow!

Yes, I can' t wait! After reading so much about how amazing they are live, I'm really looking forward to experiencing it all first hand tomorrow! :yay: :supz:

Quote:
Heehee when Nigel said they were going to revamp a few songs, I giggled and imagined the new 'harvest song'....

:roll2: They should consider it! :lol:

Quote:
TAKE PICTURES! HAVE FUN! :hug:

I will! I'm not a brilliant photographer like yourself, nonch but I'll try. :D :hug:

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:10 pm 

A great set of pics from their Paris gig a couple of days ago can be found here

Click to see more

4everconchordsfan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:56 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

V, how was the show tonight? I'm dying to hear every detail. hint. hint. nudge. nudge. :yawinkle:

What was the setlist? Did you get to meet them? How long did they play? Did you dance yourself silly? Can't wait to hear. I know that you had the greatest time.

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 am 

It was absolutely amazing, 4ever! Seeing The Black Seeds perform live at the HMV Forum last night was so much fun! :yay: :supz: :dance: Here's another of my signature long recaps! :D

Before the show
I attended this gig with emira and her sister. We ate and drank at a couple of cafes beforehand and hung around outside the venue for a while. On our way to the venue, we saw Barnaby with a few other people walking in the other direction towards us. He noticed emira's t-shirt which had 'Wellington New Zealand' on it so he looked at us, smiled and said hi so I thought that was a cute encounter we had all thanks to emira wearing that t-shirt! He probably may have recognised we were fans going to the show cos I know I at least had a big smile on my face but we all kept our cool. ;)

We had to wait for an extra half an hour outside because sound check was still going on. Whilst we were waiting outside of the venue, there was a guy with a Conchords robot-style cardboard box around his head (seriously) who decided to make a big speech to everyone waiting in the queue and he talked about everything from bands, Spinal Tap and racism in the 60s. I guess he was our pre-show entertainment to amuse and bemuse us concert-goers. :lol:

There was a really good vibe inside the venue. The kiwi accent filled the air which obviously wasn't a surprise as I expected ex-pats to be there to cheer on their fellow kiwis. Many also had cool New Zealand related shirts such as New Zealand Football t-shirts and 'Sweet As'. There was a really good mix of people, lots of British people were also in attendance and general lovers of reggae music. There were also some people who had a few too many beers to drink and would bring their drinks from the bar only to spill it on the way but luckily I managed to avoid any drinks being spilt on me so that was all good! It seemed to take quite a while for the show to begin but I suppose that was due to the high anticipation. The DJs were playing a good selection of songs before the show to build the party atmosphere.

The show!
Easy Star All-Stars, a New York based reggae cover band who are on the same US label as The Black Seeds, opened the show with their set. I wasn't paying attention properly to the time but I think they started at 8.15pm and lasted for about 1hr 15mins. They were pretty good and lots of energy and good stage presence. The lead female singer was great and I particularly enjoyed their renditions of 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'When I'm 64' both of which got the crowd singing along.

The Black Seeds came on 9.50pm-ish and performed brilliantly from start to finish. I was just off-centre, slightly to the left hand side of the stage just a few standing rows back. Mike Fabulous was directly in front of me and I had a good view of the stage, particularly Mike, Barnaby, Dan and Nigel. It was a real pleasure seeing first hand their fantastic talents and the way they performed showed how much of a real passion they have for music. It was great seeing how they got into the show such as Mike who was just jamming out in a cool, trance-like state and Barnaby just being the classic guy that he is and feeding off everyone in the band. He gave shout outs to every member of the band during the show and they showed him love right back. They all have great chemistry and a fantastic stage presence. I noticed Nigel was looking out in the crowd a lot and smiling a lot. They all looked like they were having a ball just like the crowd.

They played 'Fire' early on in their set and I turned to emira to see her excitement because I knew she was really hoping they would play that song and I'm really glad they did. It's a brilliant song and it sounded great live and really got the crowd going. As well as 'Fire', I was also particularly happy they played 'Make A Move', 'Cool Me Down' and 'Take Your Chances' during the encore and they also played some new material which was cool to hear. They came back on stage to a rapturous applause for an encore consisting of a few songs. I think they played for just over about an hour and a half until 11.25pm. I was concerned that they were going to cut their set short due to curfew reasons since it usually is about 11pm at the gigs I've been to but luckily that wasn't the case!

So all in all, I had a ball at their gig. I'd definitely recommend going to see them live as they are such a talented band and their great studio songs can sound even better live. I would definitely go and see them again when they return to London. Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to try and meet them as I had to dash to catch the last tube train which departs earlier on a Sunday. Hopefully I'll get to meet them next time round. I did really like our very brief encounter with Barnaby before the show though and it was an absolute pleasure sharing the experience with emira and her sister. :)

I did take a few pictures. I think most of them didn’t come out that well but I should have a few half-decent ones to post soon. :)

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:53 am 

VENUS! :yay: That is so awesome that you bumped into Barnaby before the gig! 8) And you played it cool! Good on emira for her excellent choice of shirt!

What a great recap! You are so good at describing events for us. It sounds like an amazing night! Did you have to travel far to see them? I'm so glad you got to meet another Seeds/FotC fan for the event too. Was there lots of dancing/jumping around?

I can't wait to see the pics. :D

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 am 

Thanks nonch! I didn't have to travel too far to see them, it was just a train ride away. Yes, there was definitely a lot of dancing, singing along and jumping around on my part and practically everybody else's! :dance: There was honestly such a great, friendly atmosphere there and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves! :D

4everconchordsfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 am 

Venus wrote:
It was absolutely amazing, 4ever! Seeing The Black Seeds perform live at the HMV Forum last night was so much fun! :yay: :supz: :dance: Here's another of my signature long recaps! :D

Before the show
I attended this gig with emira and her sister. We ate and drank at a couple of cafes beforehand and hung around outside the venue for a while. On our way to the venue, we saw Barnaby with a few other people walking in the other direction towards us. He noticed emira's t-shirt which had 'Wellington New Zealand' on it so he looked at us, smiled and said hi so I thought that was a cute encounter we had all thanks to emira wearing that t-shirt! He probably may have recognised we were fans going to the show cos I know I at least had a big smile on my face but we all kept our cool. ;)

Squeeee! I am sooo happy for you guys, that is so awesome. :whitey: :whitey: :woohoo: I would of just died of happiness right then & there.

The show!The Black Seeds came on 9.50pm-ish and performed brilliantly from start to finish. I was just off-centre, slightly to the left hand side of the stage just a few standing rows back. Mike Fabulous was directly in front of me and I had a good view of the stage, particularly Mike, Barnaby, Dan and Nigel. It was a real pleasure seeing first hand their fantastic talents and the way they performed showed how much of a real passion they have for music. It was great seeing how they got into the show such as Mike who was just jamming out in a cool, trance-like state and Barnaby just being the classic guy that he is and feeding off everyone in the band. He gave shout outs to every member of the band during the show and they showed him love right back. They all have great chemistry and a fantastic stage presence. I noticed Nigel was looking out in the crowd a lot and smiling a lot. They all looked like they were having a ball just like the crowd.

Oh my! I don't know if I could handle that kind of hotness. lol. I'm so excited for you. It had to be the most fun, I would have been dying of happiness. Truly.

They played 'Fire' early on in their set and I turned to emira to see her excitement because I knew she was really hoping they would play that song and I'm really glad they did. It's a brilliant song and it sounded great live and really got the crowd going. As well as 'Fire', I was also particularly happy they played 'Make A Move', 'Cool Me Down' and 'Take Your Chances' during the encore and they also played some new material which was cool to hear. They came back on stage to a rapturous applause for an encore consisting of a few songs. I think they played for just over about an hour and a half until 11.25pm. I was concerned that they were going to cut their set short due to curfew reasons since it usually is about 11pm at the gigs I've been to but luckily that wasn't the case!

They're all my favorites but Slingshot, Make A Move, Cool Me Down & especially Good People are my favs. I would have given anything to have been there. I am so happy that Emira got to hear Fire live. Amazing!

Your recaps are the best. It sounds like you had an epic night. I can't wait to see pics. Thanks for sharing.

4everconchordsfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 am 

I can't help it, I have to squeeeeeeeeee again about the way you met Barnaby, it is pure awesomeness. Im so excited for you. Im dying of happiness. Mercy. :cheer: Meeting Barnaby on the street, priceless. :love: :love:

Great H
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 am 
Stop touching the monkeys

Venus that sounds AWESOME! I'm so glad you had a good time!
:whitey:
(I'm very jealous)

emira
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

:heart:

Venus is excellent in recapping the shows. :hug: You should write for a music magazine or something. This talent shouldn't be wasted! :)

4everconchordsfan wrote:
I can't help it, I have to squeeeeeeeeee again about the way you met Barnaby, it is pure awesomeness. Im so excited for you. Im dying of happiness. Mercy. :cheer: Meeting Barnaby on the street, priceless. :love: :love:

Seeing Barnaby on the street was so random. I got hot when I saw him, but then we did play cool. I imagine how it would be like to walk down one of the streets of Wellington and seeing him there. Who knows, maybe I'll find out one day. ;)

For anyone who'd like to know what tee I was wearing to attract hot Kiwis' eyes, it's this. You can find other cool t-shirts, like if you haven't got "Keep New Zealand beautiful" yet, the one that Jemaine was wearing in the Pilot, it's there.

ADD

Great H wrote:
(I'm very jealous)

You shouldn't be! They're coming back to New Zealand and have some shows from September to December!

Now I am jealous!

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 pm 

Aww, I'm glad you all enjoyed my recap! :hug:

4everconchordsfan wrote:

It makes me smile every time I think about it! :) I wish I could have spoken to him more but this will definitely keep me going until next time round! So you haven't been to any of their gigs yet, right? I can't emphasise enough how brilliant they are live so I really hope you get to go to one of their gigs real soon and meet them afterwards cos I know you're such a dedicated fan. :D

kipples
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 pm 

Now that did make me smile Venus :D
I'm glad it was everything you expected and more. I wonder if any video will surface of your pre-show "entertainment".

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 pm 

Venus wrote:
I did take a few pictures.... :)

:cheer:

Venus
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 am 

Okay here are my pics! Apologies for the quality, the lighting (which looked great) did make it difficult to get good shots.
More to follow in my next post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next