It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:15 am

Banter About Bret

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

Re: Banter About Bret

Postby dangerous person » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:

It's finally here!!!! Just the tshirt mind you, no model was included in the packet.....
I am going to wear it today and feel very Bret-like :D
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Cool. Too bad the model and dog weren't included as they are both very cute.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:00 pm

I wonder whether I should also wear an eyepatch? I can be a bit clumsy at times so maybe I'll give it a miss (I'll put it on my dog instead, he looks great in Jemaine type glasses, so I think he can pull it off :wink: )
dangerous person

Postby SheWolf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm a big fan of the T shirts worn here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... 690777819/ By the style of the shirts I assumed the Keep NZ Beautiful campaign was something from the 70s but after some quick research I'm happy to see it's a new thing. This guy's wearing the same shirt as Jemaine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24208889@N ... otostream/ and they are available to buy - I want one!!!
http://www.knzb.org.nz/merchandise/display.php
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I can't believe you found all this out! I always notice in that scene how they wear matching tshirt but I had no idea what they were for, that's great!! I am not buying anymore tshirts though for now....
dangerous person

Postby SheWolf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:01 pm

The internet is a beautiful thing. I liked the look of those Ts and once I figured out what Jemaine's said I typed Keep NZ Beautiful into google and viola! I assume Bret's is the same thing though I can't see that it says Keep NZ Beautiful on it anywhere. I'll have to watch the scene again. There is no white or brown available on the website so they must have older versions of the shirts.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Awww, that gave me a whole bunch of patriotic warm fuzzies when I first saw that top. It's a really popular design, I think its Hallensteins or Huffer? The one Bret is wearing tho I don't recognise so I don't think it's from the same stock.

Funny, 10 years or so ago no-one would've worn anything with such patriotic connotations. We had (and still have, to a lesser degree) a national self-esteem issue. NZ just wasn't cool, you had to escape at the first opportunity. Whereupon you either got made sheep noises at or were accused of being Australian. Then LoTR happened, and NZ became kinda cool. And of course now Conchords, which have made us a bit cooler.

Hmm...Discussion about shirt ends in NZ social commentary...Bet you didn't see that one coming...

And hi, BTW if I haven't bumped into you yet. :wave:
pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 pm

On 2nd glance I noted that Bret's T doesn't have the logo. I assumed it was the same because the rainbow colors looked similar to Jemaine's.

It's kind of sad that New Zealander's needed LOTR & FOTC to instill some national pride.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Oh no, don't forget the All Blacks! (Mention the last world cup and you die).

Ahem.

It's more that it's quite demoralising when no-one is aware of you're existance in the world. And then anyone or anything even remotely noteworthy gets claimed by Australia. Dirty buggers. :thump:

It's hard I think for anyone from a big, shiny successful country to understand. NZ is in every sense the youngest country on the planet, so we're only just figuring out our national identity. Kind of like a pubescent teenager. I think. Actually I came accross the best description of the national psyche today, in a promotional release for the latest Lonely Planet NZ:

Appropriately the authors compared the national psyche to "that little guy at school when they're picking rugby teams. . .Then, when he does get the nod, his sheer determination to prove himself propels him to score a completely unexpected try.

"When his team-mates come to congratulate him he stares at the ground and mumbles `It was nothing, ay'."

And truely, the guys have captured the whole thing so well in the show- especially the whole trans-tasman rivalry thing.
pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:34 pm

pukeko wrote:It's hard I think for anyone from a big, shiny successful country to understand. NZ is in every sense the youngest country on the planet, so we're only just figuring out our national identity. Kind of like a pubescent teenager. I think. Actually I came accross the best description of the national psyche today, in a promotional release for the latest Lonely Planet NZ:

Appropriately the authors compared the national psyche to "that little guy at school when they're picking rugby teams. . .Then, when he does get the nod, his sheer determination to prove himself propels him to score a completely unexpected try.

"When his team-mates come to congratulate him he stares at the ground and mumbles `It was nothing, ay'."

And truely, the guys have captured the whole thing so well in the show- especially the whole trans-tasman rivalry thing.

I'm from a big shiny successful country reeking of obnoxiously overdone national pride (among other things :roll: ) and I think I can understand perfectly. Frankly we could use a little humility and though some of the NZ attitude might be self defeating it is also endearing. I think one of the reasons that Americans respond so warmly to the Conchords is precisely because we get it.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

That's actually something thats surprised us all, the fact that you guys DO get it even though it seems so NZ-centric. Especially the whole trans-tasman thing.

But yeah, self depreciation is something of a NZ trait. It comes back to the whole "tall poppy syndrome" thing I think. No one is allowed to get too big for their boots. And humility with courage is something kiwis admire, thats why Sir Ed was so treasured. The guy was probably the most famous kiwi to ever live, yet he insisted on having his phone number listed in the phone book so anyone could ring up for a chat. What a bloke.

It's been good for us too- it sounded like a lot of american reviewers thought we would all react badly to the Conchords portrayal of NZ, but we love it. We know how to laugh at ourselves :D
pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby dangerous person » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 pm

It's great that they have brought renewed interest in all things kiwi, hopefully more artists will get noticed away from NZ.
Can you believe that moi, being French and all, also get the Conchords (and goodness knows the French sense of humour is different from theirs)? I absolutely love it when they make fun of us :lol:
dangerous person

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:10 pm

hopefully more artists will get noticed away from NZ.

Yes please! And then maybe they'll play shows in places other than France. ;) (Sorry, still a bit disappointed that Fat Freddy's Drop is only playing in France and the UK later this year.)

I've just been reading about the Dutch view of NZ -- seems you're more English than the English and don't argue and protest enough. ;) (It was a humor book poking fun at the Dutch, by the way.)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Fat Freddy's are the bees knees. I heard they were off overseas, best of luck to them :yay:
They are legendary live, so much so that their self-produced debut album went straight to number one with no promotion at all. Literally out of nowhere, it was hilarious. Take that, bigwig record company people! 8)

Really? Protest as in "You gave me the wrong change" or as in "Free Tibet"? One count one, I'd agree. We are extremely polite and prone to being pushovers and naive to a point. On count two, I'd say we've been known to throw collective tantrums when the occassion calls for it. Eg: The infamous Springbok tour and The whole issue surrounding the Rainbow Warrior. But it has felt a little apathetic here lately. Dammit people, stop going to Fiji and supporting a dictatorship!
pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:12 pm

I suspect the protest was more in the sense of "wrong change". ;)

You're not helping me feel any better about FFD not coming to the Netherlands. I've got the live DVD they put out a couple of years ago and it just makes me want to see them live even more. The boyfriend and I are discussing going to Paris in November: in part to celebrate his birthday, in part to see FFD. Both events happen to be on the same day.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie