It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:10 am

Bret got married

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

Re: Bret got married

Postby Val2150 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Aww, my dear sweet Turnip.....are you sure we weren't separated at birth or something? I know EXACTLY what you're feeling. Being the "single one" among your friends in your late 20s is so hard, isn't it? I understand, I really really do. I've dealt with bouts of pity for myself in the last couple of years as I've seen my friends get engaged, married, start families and just generally look like the world is their oyster, right after I had my own heart shattered into a million pieces.

BUT, even though it's easier said than done, the key is to remember: your time will come and everything happens for a reason. We're so young! You have to get out there and live the life you want - for YOU and you alone. When you're living the best life possible as a whole person, the right one will come along to share it with you. And a lot of times, he'll show up when you're not looking and from a place you might not have thought. ( I speak from personal experience on that one.) So keep your chin up dear - things will definitely work out, I just know it. :hug:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby rachaellove » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:58 am

I'm so happy for Bret and Hannah along with their new bundle of joy!
After reading the news, I changed my twitter status to: Bret and Jemaine are now both married. I'll be holding out hope that my future children hook up with either of their exsisting children.
After that, I got about a dozen @ replies about how demented I am.. Hey, I just want the best for my kids! Some people just don't get it. :roll:

Also, in that report with Bret's dad, I can't express how much I loved the quote that read something like, "Their whole life is a honeymoon." I can only hope my future is so bright when I find my own "little piece of Bret-y". :D
"I'm a person. Bret's a person. You're a person. That person over there is a person. And every person deserves to be treated like a person."
rachaellove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 am

rachaellove wrote:Also, in that report with Bret's dad, I can't express how much I loved the quote that read something like, "Their whole life is a honeymoon."

What a truly wonderful way to describe a relationship. It makes you realize actually how happy they are... we should all be so lucky. It totally sounded like my dream wedding! No fuss, good food, better company and all about the love.

I didn't realize Bret also had two brothers, did all of you? Note to self- must get drinks at Hawthorne's when in Wellington (eventually). Place sounds beautiful and obviously the view won't be bad either!

And ps, I love the fact that Hannah is that pregnant and no one knew. Good for them for keeping quiet. That child is going to be one cute kid! Its nice to know that they are already producing a musically- talented second generation.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 am

Congratulations to Bret and Hannah!

I love all of your name possibilities and the hopes that Baby-Boom-King and Sophocles start the next generation of the Conchords!

I'd love for them come up with a song that speaks to the joy of pregnancy and keeping a pregnant woman happy (or trying to) :twisted: in the late stages...... :lol: Give Bret another 3 mos before writing it, I think...

(I'm only half-kidding. I loved being pregnant and had no big problems or mood swings. But I hear others certainly have!)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 am

prettyrobyngirl wrote:I didn't realize Bret also had two brothers, did all of you? Note to self- must get drinks at Hawthorne's when in Wellington (eventually). Place sounds beautiful and obviously the view won't be bad either!

And ps, I love the fact that Hannah is that pregnant and no one knew. Good for them for keeping quiet. That child is going to be one cute kid! Its nice to know that they are already producing a musically- talented second generation.

It's no secret he has two brothers. I've swapped a few emails with Justin. IIRC he was the one who was also in FOTR Council of Elrond scene with Bret. He sat to the, I think left, of Elrond. Didn't speak and had no real camera time. Just in the background and fuzzy.

And about Hannah being pregnant. I am not surprised they kept it quiet so long tbh. Its not like they attend public events together very often or do the whole celeb thing for it to be picked up on. Plus if you think about it, none of their friends or family ever really discusses their personal life either, so no one was telling there.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Oh, thank you all for the kind words and empathy - and most especially to those who replied privately to my personal Bret-sponsored cri de coeur. I'm feeling considerably more cheerful today, in no small part to somthing that came in the post this morning: a copy of The Woman's Book by Fran Beauman (also known as a certain Mr. James Bobin's wife :wink: ). It's a hilarious collection of trivia and etiquette for the modern female, containing advice on how to write a thank-you note after attending a sex party, how to perform CPR, and a short guide to the world's worst diets. In her advice on combating low spirits and agonies of the heart, she offers up the sage words of the Rev. Sydney Smith to Lady Georgiana Morpeth. They did me good, and I pass them on in the hope that they may make my fellow Bret mourners feel just a smidgen better:

Feb. 16th, 1820

Dear Lady Georgiana,

Nobody has suffered more from low spirits than I have done – so I feel for you. 1st, Live as well as you dare. 2nd, Go into the shower – bath with a small quantity of water at a temperature low enough to give you a slight sensation of cold, 75 or 80*. 3rd, Amusing books. 4th, Short views of human life – not further than dinner or tea. 5th, Be as busy as you can. 6th, See as much as you can of those friends who respect and like you. 7th, And of those acquaintances who amuse you. 8th, Make no secret of low spirits to your friends, but talk of them freely – they are always worse for dignified concealment. 9th, Attend to the effects tea and coffee produce upon you. 10th, Compare your lot with that of other people. 11th, Don’t expect too much from human life – a sorry business at the best. 12th, Avoid poetry, dramatic representations (except comedy), music, serious novels, melancholy sentimental people, and everything likely to excite feeling or emotion not ending in active benevolence. 13th, Do good, and endeavour to please everybody of every degree. 14th, Be as much as you can in the open air without fatigue. 15th, Make the room where you commonly sit gay and pleasant. 16th, Struggle by little and little against idleness. 17th, Don’t be too severe upon yourself or underrate yourself but do yourself justice. 18th, Keep good blazing fires. 19th, Be firm and constant in the exercise of rational religion. 20th, Believe me, dear Lady Georgiana,

Your devoted servant,

Sydney Smith

I am especially fond of the 3rd and 8th. Good advice, indeed. :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Sherry wrote:
prettyrobyngirl wrote:And about Hannah being pregnant. I am not surprised they kept it quiet so long tbh. Its not like they attend public events together very often or do the whole celeb thing for it to be picked up on. Plus if you think about it, none of their friends or family ever really discusses their personal life either, so no one was telling there.
Right. It's not like we hear about their personal lives ever really.

With Jem's baby the only official announcement came after the baby was born.

Re: what turnip said I think we can all relate. As someone already said somewhere here I guess this proves I'm not a Bretero coz I don't have any of those achy breaky feelings over this news but I've been there with the Jemaine thing. I think these feelings stem a bit from a fantasy being somewhat squished and a bit from the loserish feeling of pining over someone you don't know who is currently wrapped up in domestic bliss. But all of these feeings are normal and we get through them.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 pm

trefusis wrote: But I also feel a bit like I did when a very good (male, platonic) friend got married - cried my eyes out when he was having the first dance with his beautiful wife, to the point where his mad old aunt assumed that I must be an ex and spent the remainder of the evening giving me increasingly drunken counsel. As well as something beginning, there's a sense of something ending.
Oh girl I can relate. I don't consider myself a sentamentalist or a romantic but there are occasions when I lose it and need to be put down for a few hours. Weddings are a good example, thankfully I don't go to many, but the bride's dance with her father never fails to transform me into a blubbering idiot. And if "In My Life" by The Beatles makes an appearance I'm done.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Slightly OT - but, does anyone else think it's kind of weird that they both are having babies and getting married within a year of each other? Not weird in a bad way, just super coincidental. Turnip talked about them mirroring each other in her Bretcaps thread, but this really takes the cake. AND, both M. and H. were pregnant before the wedding! It's just weird, that's all.

Plus, to further the coincidence, and relate it back to me, which is something I always like to do - Sophocles was born in October, which is the month my son was born in, and Hannah is due in July, which is the month my daughter was born. So if I ever meet them at a party we can talk about our kids' horoscopes, lol.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Bret & Jem's lives are on a similar tranjectory. They both announced engagements, then had preggers GFs, then wed in registry offices. It seems they had both planned on getting married anyway but babies hastened things. Last year Miranda was pregnant when the guys did the US tour. This year it's Hannah. If Hannah's due in July she conceived in October, the month Soph was born.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby trefusis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey, Turnip :D - good to know you're feeling a bit bouncier (if turnips should bounce, but YKWIM). I am also trying to lose my aura of Vaguely Bummed Out - reckon that 3rd and 17th of your sage's wise words could be a good starting point. And the blazing fires.

SheWolf, at my friend's wedding the song was "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrisson. I don't think I've got better of it yet. :tears:

Tis a strange idea, of Turnip's "mirroring" thing being carried right over into their lives :smiles:. Rather sweet as coincidences go.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...
trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 am

:shock: Wow, I disappear in the SXSW madness for a few days and look what I miss.

Congrats to them both. I sure hope the US tour doesn't keep Bret away from anything important.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby yvettiefred » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:05 pm

just had to say this thread title reminds me of the buddy holly song "peggy sue got married", only because i went to the buddy holly musical the other weekend in sydney :)
yvettiefred

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:16 am

yvettiefred wrote:just had to say this thread title reminds me of the buddy holly song "peggy sue got married", only because i went to the buddy holly musical the other weekend in sydney :)

I'm one of the biggest Buddy Holly fans you'll ever meet, I promise.

Was it amazing? I'm SO jealous.

So INCREDIBLY jealous.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby yvettiefred » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:18 am

well i think this show has been touring in various incarnations since 1989, so maybe you can still catch it sometime?? It was pretty good, doesn't sound like I'm as much of a fan as you are though :) The Australian playing Buddy Holly looks so much like the real one, its uncanny.
yvettiefred

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie