What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
Ratashak
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:56 pm 
Offline
Keeping it funky
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm
Posts: 95
Location: Kalamazoo
I like the way you said it "embroidered into a shirt" although I think most would say "on", into is more descriptive!

That Sally shirt--oh, I didn't like Sally--she didn't deserve the boys' attention. The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful---not the FOTC of my dreams.


Top
 Profile  
 
dagmar
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:02 pm 
Offline
Half a shapely halibut
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 am
Posts: 125
Location: only 36 hours from New Zealand
Ratashak wrote:
The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful

For me, the story line worked exactly because of that. Usually in TV you get the message that good looks, especially on a girl, is what really counts; personality is secondary. That's not the case with the Sally episode, where FOTC (the writers) make you (the viewer) want to cry out: "Oh no, don't do it! Forget about Sally! See how sweet and nice and down-to-earth Coco is, don't take her for granted, don't shush her, hold on to her, you idiot!". The poor B & J characters, naïve enough to buy into the damn thing... It's both sad and comical to watch. And finally, the scene with Mark: Sally and him being a perfect match, equally smug and shallow and good-looking. They really deserve each other.

Um, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that the Sally story line makes me think highly of the FOTC guys. :clap:
(EDIT: ...even though it doesn't make me think highly of their fictionalized TV selves, of course.)

_________________
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.


Top
 Profile  
 
Corrine
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm 
Offline
Consistently Mediocre
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 am
Posts: 542
Location: Apt. # 307, USA
I was a big fan of Coco too. I think they need to continue the series just to continue her story line with Bret. She was the perfect "good girl". My favorite line of hers was (and this might not be exact) "Signs are great, but bands are better." I do like the fact that the women that I've seen on FOTC that are clearly the ones we should like, are fairly average looking, sweet, down to earth girls.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
dagmar
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:32 pm 
Offline
Half a shapely halibut
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 am
Posts: 125
Location: only 36 hours from New Zealand
Corrine wrote:
I think they need to continue the series just to continue her story line with Bret.
That'd be cute... but maybe too cute to come true.
Attachment:
vlcsnap-1188723.jpg
vlcsnap-1188723.jpg [ 55.64 KiB | Viewed 1801 times ]
"Now look, Coco, embroidery is a man's game..."

_________________
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.


Top
 Profile  
 
Corrine
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:52 pm 
Offline
Consistently Mediocre
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 am
Posts: 542
Location: Apt. # 307, USA
You're right, probably too cute to come true. :(

By the way Dagmar, I wish I could write a foreign language as well as you write English! I've never noticed any errors. If I didn't know otherwise, I would have assumed you were a native speaker.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
dagmar
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:06 pm 
Offline
Half a shapely halibut
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 am
Posts: 125
Location: only 36 hours from New Zealand
Thanks for the compliment, Corrine! :blush:

_________________
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.


Top
 Profile  
 
jillbean
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:19 pm 
Offline
Consistently Mediocre
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:34 am
Posts: 510
Location: Chicago, IL
A friend posted the Amazon link to the shirt and as soon as I saw the image I thought "this could be a Bret shirt." And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious! Apparently it has become a phenomenon in and of itself, enough for the BBC to notice at least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8061031.stm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Wolf-T-Shirt/dp/B000NZW3KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243102697&sr=8-1


Top
 Profile  
 
Venus
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm 
Offline
She did indeed have the time of her life
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:07 pm
Posts: 6099
Location: London, England
jillbean wrote:
A friend posted the Amazon link to the shirt and as soon as I saw the image I thought "this could be a Bret shirt." And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious! Apparently it has become a phenomenon in and of itself, enough for the BBC to notice at least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8061031.stm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Wolf-T-Shirt/dp/B000NZW3KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243102697&sr=8-1


Yes I read about this t-shirt phenomenon and a few people have mentioned it as something they could imagine Bret wearing. The reviews are hilarious. There are quite a few tongue-in-cheek reviews for various products on Amazon but it's interesting to see that maany people are actually buying this t-shirt. Bret might be able to take some credit for this phenomenon ;)

_________________
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
trefusis
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:00 pm 
Offline
Registered Rhymnecologist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:36 pm
Posts: 451
Location: On an island off an island
jillbean wrote:
And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious!


Did you see the PANTS that came up in the "also viewed" list?? Like these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Zubaz-Pants/dp/B0 ... pd_sbs_a_1

:rolls:

_________________
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...


Top
 Profile  
 
songbird
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:19 pm 
Offline
David Bowie's nipple antennae
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 am
Posts: 1251
Location: In space. With Bowie.
trefusis wrote:
jillbean wrote:
And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious!


Did you see the PANTS that came up in the "also viewed" list?? Like these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Zubaz-Pants/dp/B0 ... pd_sbs_a_1

:rolls:


:roll2:
I just laughed out loud when I saw those pants on the "also viewed list"!! Funnily enough, they're quite similar to the one's that Bret has been wearing on tour when he and Jemmy put on those crazy costumes...

_________________
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
trefusis
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:22 pm 
Offline
Registered Rhymnecologist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:36 pm
Posts: 451
Location: On an island off an island
Aren't they just? :nod: In fact, they could almost have been hand-woven.

("I wasn't scared. But pants like that... I did not care for. No, sir.")

_________________
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...


Top
 Profile  
 
Corrine
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:36 am 
Offline
Consistently Mediocre
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 am
Posts: 542
Location: Apt. # 307, USA
Looking at those amazon products and "reviews" gave me a complete giggle fit!! :rolls: It never occurred to me that people would do that. That's funny. Loved those pants too! Just looking at them made me laugh. Someone also got very creative in the Tuscan Milk reviews by creating their review in the style of Edgar Allen Poe's poetry.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
mockingbird
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:46 am 
Offline
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 am
Posts: 5376
dagmar wrote:
Ratashak wrote:
The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful

For me, the story line worked exactly because of that. Usually in TV you get the message that good looks, especially on a girl, is what really counts; personality is secondary. That's not the case with the Sally episode, where FOTC (the writers) make you (the viewer) want to cry out: "Oh no, don't do it! Forget about Sally! See how sweet and nice and down-to-earth Coco is, don't take her for granted, don't shush her, hold on to her, you idiot!". The poor B & J characters, naïve enough to buy into the damn thing... It's both sad and comical to watch. And finally, the scene with Mark: Sally and him being a perfect match, equally smug and shallow and good-looking. They really deserve each other.

Um, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that the Sally story line makes me think highly of the FOTC guys. :clap:
(EDIT: ...even though it doesn't make me think highly of their fictionalized TV selves, of course.)

Absolutely! :nod:

I am so happy to see the three wolves t-shirt being discussed here... of course it has Bret written all over it. If they do a 3rd season I bet he wears it. Quite appropriate, being the THIRD season... and THREE wolves... just saying. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
helgecko
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:02 pm 
Offline
David Bowie's nipple antennae
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 am
Posts: 1486
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oh hey, I only just remembered ( :doh: )...
I came across this site ages ago, which sells a lot of the shirts Bret wears in the series!

http://www.conchordclothing.com

I'm actually kind of tempted by the Rap Dancin' tee....
Image

and they even have "Beer?" :lol:
Image

The site's not "official", but I'm assuming the only official merchandise is from HBO anyway?

_________________
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
ZebraWarriorPrincess
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bret shirt
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:09 pm 
Offline
Posing like a swan

Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 am
Posts: 1882
I want the 'You quack me up' one.

This is also funny (for non-UK readers, Paul Ross is a minor TV presenter. Not sure what he's actually presented though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inch-Canvas-51c ... 090&sr=8-1

I was sent the link at work and actually cried from laughter

_________________
It's a psychological analogy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group