It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 am

Favorite Bret shirt

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Favorite Bret shirt

Postby Ratashak » Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I like the way you said it "embroidered into a shirt" although I think most would say "on", into is more descriptive!

That Sally shirt--oh, I didn't like Sally--she didn't deserve the boys' attention. The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful---not the FOTC of my dreams.
Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby dagmar » Sun May 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Ratashak wrote:The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful

For me, the story line worked exactly because of that. Usually in TV you get the message that good looks, especially on a girl, is what really counts; personality is secondary. That's not the case with the Sally episode, where FOTC (the writers) make you (the viewer) want to cry out: "Oh no, don't do it! Forget about Sally! See how sweet and nice and down-to-earth Coco is, don't take her for granted, don't shush her, hold on to her, you idiot!". The poor B & J characters, naïve enough to buy into the damn thing... It's both sad and comical to watch. And finally, the scene with Mark: Sally and him being a perfect match, equally smug and shallow and good-looking. They really deserve each other.

Um, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that the Sally story line makes me think highly of the FOTC guys. :clap:
(EDIT: ...even though it doesn't make me think highly of their fictionalized TV selves, of course.)
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.
dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Corrine » Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 pm

I was a big fan of Coco too. I think they need to continue the series just to continue her story line with Bret. She was the perfect "good girl". My favorite line of hers was (and this might not be exact) "Signs are great, but bands are better." I do like the fact that the women that I've seen on FOTC that are clearly the ones we should like, are fairly average looking, sweet, down to earth girls.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dagmar » Sun May 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Corrine wrote:I think they need to continue the series just to continue her story line with Bret.
That'd be cute... but maybe too cute to come true.
vlcsnap-1188723.jpg
vlcsnap-1188723.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
"Now look, Coco, embroidery is a man's game..."
dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Corrine » Sun May 10, 2009 11:52 pm

You're right, probably too cute to come true. :(

By the way Dagmar, I wish I could write a foreign language as well as you write English! I've never noticed any errors. If I didn't know otherwise, I would have assumed you were a native speaker.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dagmar » Mon May 11, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks for the compliment, Corrine! :blush:
dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby jillbean » Sat May 23, 2009 7:19 pm

A friend posted the Amazon link to the shirt and as soon as I saw the image I thought "this could be a Bret shirt." And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious! Apparently it has become a phenomenon in and of itself, enough for the BBC to notice at least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8061031.stm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Wolf-T-Shirt/dp/B000NZW3KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243102697&sr=8-1
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Venus » Sat May 23, 2009 7:38 pm

jillbean wrote:A friend posted the Amazon link to the shirt and as soon as I saw the image I thought "this could be a Bret shirt." And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious! Apparently it has become a phenomenon in and of itself, enough for the BBC to notice at least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8061031.stm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Wolf-T-Shirt/dp/B000NZW3KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243102697&sr=8-1

Yes I read about this t-shirt phenomenon and a few people have mentioned it as something they could imagine Bret wearing. The reviews are hilarious. There are quite a few tongue-in-cheek reviews for various products on Amazon but it's interesting to see that maany people are actually buying this t-shirt. Bret might be able to take some credit for this phenomenon ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby trefusis » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 pm

jillbean wrote:And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious!

Did you see the PANTS that came up in the "also viewed" list?? Like these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Zubaz-Pants/dp/B0 ... pd_sbs_a_1

:rolls:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...
trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby songbird » Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 pm

trefusis wrote:
jillbean wrote:And then I started reading the "reviews" and looking at the other items buyers had viewed...hilarious!

Did you see the PANTS that came up in the "also viewed" list?? Like these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Zubaz-Pants/dp/B0 ... pd_sbs_a_1

:rolls:

:roll2:
I just laughed out loud when I saw those pants on the "also viewed list"!! Funnily enough, they're quite similar to the one's that Bret has been wearing on tour when he and Jemmy put on those crazy costumes...
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby trefusis » Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Aren't they just? :nod: In fact, they could almost have been hand-woven.

("I wasn't scared. But pants like that... I did not care for. No, sir.")
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...
trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Corrine » Sun May 24, 2009 6:36 am

Looking at those amazon products and "reviews" gave me a complete giggle fit!! :rolls: It never occurred to me that people would do that. That's funny. Loved those pants too! Just looking at them made me laugh. Someone also got very creative in the Tuscan Milk reviews by creating their review in the style of Edgar Allen Poe's poetry.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby mockingbird » Sun May 24, 2009 6:46 am

dagmar wrote:
Ratashak wrote:The story line that they would be so smitten with such a vapid, mean, stupid girl, just because she' beautiful

For me, the story line worked exactly because of that. Usually in TV you get the message that good looks, especially on a girl, is what really counts; personality is secondary. That's not the case with the Sally episode, where FOTC (the writers) make you (the viewer) want to cry out: "Oh no, don't do it! Forget about Sally! See how sweet and nice and down-to-earth Coco is, don't take her for granted, don't shush her, hold on to her, you idiot!". The poor B & J characters, naïve enough to buy into the damn thing... It's both sad and comical to watch. And finally, the scene with Mark: Sally and him being a perfect match, equally smug and shallow and good-looking. They really deserve each other.

Um, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that the Sally story line makes me think highly of the FOTC guys. :clap:
(EDIT: ...even though it doesn't make me think highly of their fictionalized TV selves, of course.)

Absolutely! :nod:

I am so happy to see the three wolves t-shirt being discussed here... of course it has Bret written all over it. If they do a 3rd season I bet he wears it. Quite appropriate, being the THIRD season... and THREE wolves... just saying. :wink:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby helgecko » Fri May 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh hey, I only just remembered ( :doh: )...
I came across this site ages ago, which sells a lot of the shirts Bret wears in the series!

http://www.conchordclothing.com

I'm actually kind of tempted by the Rap Dancin' tee....

and they even have "Beer?" :lol:

The site's not "official", but I'm assuming the only official merchandise is from HBO anyway?
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I want the 'You quack me up' one.

This is also funny (for non-UK readers, Paul Ross is a minor TV presenter. Not sure what he's actually presented though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inch-Canvas-51c ... 090&sr=8-1

I was sent the link at work and actually cried from laughter
It's a psychological analogy
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie