It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Fatherhood keeps 'Conchords' stars busy

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:59 pm

4:00AM Thursday Nov 05, 2009
By Jacqueline Smith
Bret and Jemaine have less time for horsing around now they've both got young children. Photo / Supplied

Bret McKenzie isn't expecting to take a call from his homeland. His American record company has had him on the phone to journalists from as far as Finland before TimeOut rings through. Apparently the new album I Told You I Was Freaky is a hit over there.

"That's quite a surprise to me," McKenzie says. He doesn't know a lot about the Finnish music scene but has heard they are more into metal.

"I think in between their death metal songs they are dropping a little bit of, yeah, Too Many Dicks on The Dancefloor," he says referring to the faux disco number on the new album.

I Told You I Was Freaky entered the New Zealand charts at number seven last week - McKenzie says it's exciting to see how well it's doing.

This second album - or third if you count the 2007 Grammy-winning Distant Future EP which pre-dated last year's self-titled long-player - was put together in a year, while the duo's first album took five or six years.

He is taking interview calls to promote it from his home in Wellington, which is a hectic place to be at the moment. He and his wife Hannah have a three-month old baby girl. Her name is Vita - Italian for life.

Jemaine Clement and Miranda Manasiadis have a son called Sophocles - it's Greek for something else - who is almost one year old.

So while the spotlight has been on his Conchords co-stars - Clement with his Emmy nomination and films and Rhys Darby with his swathe of television appearances-slash-product endorsements - McKenzie has also been seriously busy since arriving home in May.

"Yeah, I've been kind of figuring out fatherhood for the past few months," he says.

How is he finding it?

"Um, I've got a lot of room to improve. It seems like it's quite a long-term commitment."

And no, it wasn't awkward when the other half of the duo was singled out for an Emmy nomination for best comedy performance. McKenzie says he thought it was awesome that Clement was picked. In fact, he hoped that Clement wouldn't make it to the ceremony so he could go and accept it and confuse everyone. Everyone seems to get the pair confused anyway, he says.

It seems a sizeable chunk of America is still crazy about the show, with the Washington Post recently running an article charting ways to dress like a Kiwi musician who is trying to make it in New York.

The Flight of the Conchords' tour around the US in April and May was an indication of just how popular they have become outside New Zealand, packing out the likes of Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Constitution Hall in Washington and New York's Radio City Hall.

"It was overwhelming. Really, really ecstatic audiences and some really crazy moments - like some slightly Beatles moments with people chasing the bus."

If they can find time, McKenzie hopes Flight of the Conchords can do a New Zealand tour, and bring over comedians Arj Barker, Kristen Schaal and Eugene Mirman who play Dave, Mel and Eugene in the series.

He says he would love to play in New Zealand's opera houses, like the Civic in Auckland and the Hawkes Bay Opera House in Hastings where he played with the Wellington Ukulele Orchestra last month.

That's all well and good. But what the fans really want to know is whether the Conchords will be delivering a third series.

HBO co-president Richard Plepler seemed keen when he spoke to a press tour in July.

McKenzie says he won't know until the end of the month. He, Clement and director James Bobin still have to hold a meeting about it.

"We haven't decided to do it, and if we do it will take a while because we need to write a lot of material," he explains.

How long are we talking?

"Ten years."

For a series?

"That's for one episode. So to do a season of say six episodes, would take 60 years."

"We could be getting very old."

McKenzie's imagination flickers. The show would be about two guys living in a retirement village, he says. Bret and Jemaine will still live in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, but it won't be such a hipster scene. "It will be more of a retirement-type world. More like Waikanae."

But seriously, he is pretty sure Vita and Hannah will travel with him if he decides to go back to America to film. Vita's good at travelling, he says - she flew over for the Emmys.

"She was amazing - she was handing out the lollies and everything and she can't even hold anything yet." He can't help himself.

So would he give Vita a role if there was a third series?

"No. It wouldn't be a "my two dads" situation."

Guess we'll just have to sit tight then.

Source

Please bear in mind the Forum Rules when posting.

:yay: Congratulations, Bret and Hannah! :babyblanket: :babycrawl:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Fatherhood keeps 'Conchords' stars busy

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 pm

:welcome: baby vita! Awww, congrats!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks, Venus! :D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 pm

"She was amazing - she was handing out the lollies and everything and she can't even hold anything yet." He can't help himself.

Proud Papa, sooo sweet!

Ive turned to mush!

edit: I just noticed that my status is now "stop touching the monkeys"!
Last edited by closet jemainiac on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
closet jemainiac
---

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Congrats to the McKenzie family.

:heart:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 pm

YAY! Yay yay yay yay! :yay: I KNEW they were going to have a girl! ;) What a sweet interview, thanks Venus. It's about time we got an interview from Bret! :lol:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby DaMango » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:23 pm

HOORAY!!!! :yay: I am so happy for Bret and Hannah! I had a feeling they had a girl as well. Oh, I was so happy to read about little Vita, Bret's words nearly brought tears to my eyes. :love:
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm

OMG I LOVE THE NAME VITA.

Awww, proud daddy Bret! So cute! :heart: :family:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby vmh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Awww, this is the sweetest thing I've read all week! :heart: Vita is such a pretty name.

::joins the rest of the board and turns to mush::
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Amanda » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 pm

i loved reading that interview! Thanks Venus : )
and CONGRATULATIONS BRET AND HANNAH!!! :yay:
I'm so happy for our guys and their new families ^_^
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby funny schipperke » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Congratulations to Bret and Hannah! :yay: and Welcome baby Vita! :babyblanket:
Image Image
funny schipperke

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:25 pm

:silence: :biggrin: :yay: :wave: :welcome: :baby:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Panda..ness » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:33 pm

awwww Vita! such a pretty name :) congrats Bret & Hannah!! :yay: :baby:

Why did i get double stuffed?
Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Red » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Aw so sweet. Yay! Welcome to the world little Vita! And congrats to Bret and Hannah!
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Ditto what everyone else wrote. Congratulations on your bundle Bret and Hannah! :babycrawl:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie