It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:34 am

The Video Kid

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

The Video Kid

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:33 pm

Jemaine's thread seems to be getting all the action these days. I figured I should do my part for Bret.

I've recently ordered (and am impatiently waiting for the arrival of) CDs of his work with The Black Seeds, as well as his solo stuff as the Video Kid. There's a fun VK bio here.

Of course, whenever I think "Video Kid", it leads me to the Eddie Izzard bit about "The Creeping Kid".
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Sherry » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:07 pm

I have the Black Seeds CD. I never bought it though. It was a present from a friend and... *sigh* long story I can't/won't go into. But anyhoo, it got given to me :P

Its actually not bad. I quite like that style of music and enjoy listening to it from time to time. Its cool summer music, in the evenings while cooking in the kitchen with all the windows and doors flung open. I can kind of dance along to it as I whip up a chilli or a meringue :shock:

IIRC they are putting out another album (or may of done so already). They are already pretty well known in NZ and are building a name for themselves in Europe with their summer tour just gone.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 pm

Its cool summer music, in the evenings while cooking in the kitchen with all the windows and doors flung open. I can kind of dance along to it as I whip up a chilli or a meringue

You sound just like me. I choose a lot of my music based on whether I can cook to it!

While the weather here isn't sunny today, it's certainly still warm enough to keep up the summer pretense!

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby djdeathskiss » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:57 pm

I've been looking for any Black Seeds stuff here in the States, and haven't had any luck, so I guess i'm going to have to break down and order it online.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'
djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:02 pm

In terms of actual stores, no luck, but I did find a Black Seeds album on Amazon.com, so you're not paying international shipping.

indigo_jones

Postby Ellen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:27 pm

There's also a free download on Amazon.com of "Keep on Pushing:Workshop Re-Dub" to hold you over until your CD arrives.
Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Oh yeah, found that already! :)

indigo_jones

Postby conchordgirl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:17 pm

It's also on itunes if you have that.
I listened to PROTOTYPE from the Video Kid and the Black Seeds on there and they are tucked away in my shopping cart until I can buy it.
That is all..
--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson
conchordgirl

Postby /me » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:09 am

I am just hoping there will be a Black Seeds music video collection some day. They supposedly have great award-winning videos, and i haven't been able to get my claws on a single one. :(
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!
/me

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:17 am

Thisis the only place I've found (although I haven't looked far) that has a Black Seeds video. Unfortunately, the video itself doesn't open for me.

indigo_jones

Postby conchordgirl » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:02 am

indigo_jones wrote:Thisis the only place I've found (although I haven't looked far) that has a Black Seeds video. Unfortunately, the video itself doesn't open for me.

Indigo,
I tried the link as well and couldn't get it to play. So, you are not the only one but I have a mac and am use to videos not working for me. :(

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson
conchordgirl

Blackseeds ish

Postby Komodo D » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:25 pm

Komodo D
New arrival

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Komodo, that's how I originally got to the link that wouldn't work for me.

But speaking of The Black Seeds, guess what I'm listening to right now! Yes indeed, my Black Seeds CD arrived today! Yay!

indigo_jones

Postby Andria » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:19 pm

Has anyone gotten the Video Kid CD? I was thinking about getting it, but the pace of the album clips seem a little slow (for my taste.) Any thoughts? I'm kind of along the lines of Sherry and Indigo. If I can't cook/bake to it the only other time I may listen to it would be in 'depression spacing out mode'... :P :wink:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:31 pm

I don't have it yet, but it's winging it's way to me. Hopefully, I'll have it in the next week or so. *fingers crossed*

The impression I got from what I've heard is that it's sort of atmospheric electronica, sort of like Brian Eno or Underworld. So yeah, it might be more on the slow side.

indigo_jones

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie