It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 am

Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm

You are right. Just look, he's practically grinning. :P :lol:

It would be tragic if they don't also have some footage of the impromptu rehearsals of 'The Hobbit: The Musical'. Who doesn't want to see Gandalf sing "It's A Lovely Day In Rivendale"? :)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Venus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Yes, I'd love to see footage of The Hobbit: The Musical! Or they could even sneak in a performance during the Oscars 2014:

Screen Rant
In McKenzie’s case, that childish sense of enthusiasm has paid off. Prior to his Oscar nomination, he was best known as one half of of HBO’s folk-comedy duo Flight of the Conchords (the other half is of course Jemaine Clement) or to another demographic as The Lord of the Ring’s Figwit.

McKenzie, as many know, was an elf extra in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings. As was “every available man in New Zealand at the time” the actor recalls. But not every extra was spotted by a devoted fan and dubbed Figwit (Frodo is great, who is that?). Perhaps one of the most significant indications of his increased fame is the bump-up to a named character that Jackson gave McKenzie in the upcoming The Hobbit.

“I think the nomination just trumps being a speaking elf,” McKenzie quips. “But it’s close, a close call.”

Worlds collided on the set of The Hobbit when McKenzie broke out his guitar and began a freestyle jam, Shire style. “It was Gandalf’s song,” McKenzie recalls laughing. “He was singing ‘it’s a beautiful day in Rivendell, do da do do do.’” Now if that is not a perfect fit for Oscar night 2014, I’m not sure what is. “It would be fun, and Ian Mckellen is a really funny guy so I think he’d be well up for it,” McKenzie says. Keep those fingers crossed, Conchords and Figwit fans.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Bret seems to genuinely enjoy the Figwit stuff. There's never even a hint that he's tired of it. :P :P :P I always smile at the mention of the 'devoted fan'. Nice work S & I! :thumb: Seeing his level of success must be a bit mind blowing at times. :lol:

Worlds collided on the set of The Hobbit when McKenzie broke out his guitar and began a freestyle jam, Shire style. “It was Gandalf’s song,” McKenzie recalls laughing. “He was singing ‘it’s a beautiful day in Rivendell, do da do do do.’”

Now we know the second verse. lol. He really brought his guitar along?!? :heart:

Wouldn't it be fun if the Conchords came up with a new song parody for The Hobbit wrap party? :D It's practically a tradition. :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby LauraK » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 am

No seriously, lol. I went to youtube and watched the scene. He smiles pretty sweetly when Aragorn kisses her. :heart:
Attachments
HappyElrond.jpg
HappyElrond.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 am

Here's the scoop Hobbit fans, the premiere will take place in Wellington on November 28th. :supz:

Venus will do a better job getting the entire story and I'm anxious to see what she will dig up for us.

Here is a quick peek....

Wellington will roll out the red carpet once again on November 28, when the world premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is held at The Embassy theatre.

The film is the first of two multimillion-dollar Hollywood blockbusters to be released by Oscar-winning director Sir Peter Jackson, telling the story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins' quest into the heart of a dragon's treasure-laden lair.

Wellington had become home for the films' cast and crew over the past two years, Sir Peter said.

"I know I speak for a company of hobbits, dwarves, elves and orcs when I say that this city holds a special place in all our hearts.

"We cannot think of a more perfect way to send The Hobbit off into the world than to celebrate with a huge party here in Wellington, where the journey began."

A spokesman for the film said it was hoped that the principal cast for the first film would all attend the Wellington premiere, including lead actor Martin Freeman, and Lord of the Rings stars Sir Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom and Andy Serkis.

Other big names who could also walk the Courtenay Place red carpet include Elijah Wood who has reprised his role as Frodo Baggins, and Cate Blanchett who plays the elf Galadriel.

Principal shooting for both Hobbit movies is expected to wrap up by the end of next month.

Wellington City Council said the event would be on a similar scale to The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King world premiere held in 2003, with a street parade and public entertainment.

The council had set aside $1.15 million in its draft annual plan for the premiere, funded through the Downtown Levy – a targeted commercial rate.

While the plan was yet to be finalised, 87 per cent of respondents in public consultation supported funding the premiere.

Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said The Hobbit was proof that great things could come from boutique-sized cities.

"We're very proud that The Hobbit was made in Wellington and we'll have a celebration to remember."

Prime Minister John Key said there were massive economic benefits from the films being produced here, and the premiere would put New Zealand on the world stage.

No further government funding had been requested for the premiere.

However, Warner Bros struck a deal with the Government in October 2010 to keep the production in New Zealand after actors' union disputes threw the project into uncertainty.

While it was unclear what economic benefits the premiere could have for Wellington, a McDermott Miller report estimated the 2003 Return of the King premiere contributed about $9.5m in new spending to Wellington's economy.

Positively Wellington Tourism chief executive David Perks said thousands of fans were expected to descend on Wellington for the big day, filling the city's hotels and restaurants.

"There is going to be a simply unmissable buzz pulsing through the coolest little capital in the world."
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Cool! 8)

Didn't the Black Seeds perform? Maybe they will again and perhaps a certain International Ukulele Orchestra will as well.... :D

It seemed so far off when it was first announced and now it seems so close!

Times flies when you're getting old, lol....
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for posting, 4ever. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Didn't Bret and Jemaine perform at a LOTR after party? Maybe history will repeat itself. ;) Would be great if The Black Seeds, WIUO and other local artists performed too.

I've also heard that WETA are going to make some collectibles including statues and other types of merch for The Hobbit which are going to be revealed next month. Too bad I think Bret's part is too small for him to get a statue made but you never know. ;)
&
Venus

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 am

This behind the scenes video is too way cool!

I can't get the youtube thing-y to work...Here is the link http://youtu.be/GsZ0qKX8uWE

Hi Venus :wave: Hi Everyone. :hug:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Venus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Love watching the behind the scenes videos. There are now going to be 3 Hobbit films!

Official: The Hobbit to Become Three Films!
Source: Peter Jackson
July 30, 2012

Peter Jackson just confirmed last week's rumor on Facebook that "The Hobbit" will now be three films. The filmmaker released the following statement:

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

The first installment, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will hit theaters and IMAX on December 14. The Hobbit: There and Back Again will follow on December 13, 2013. The third film is expected to hit theaters in the summer of 2014.

Source
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:48 pm

That's fabulous news!! And the 3rd coming in summer rather than having to wait the full year again- Yay!! :supz: :clap:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Yay, a glimpse of Bret as Lindir in the "Sting" version of the new trailer of The Hobbit! :D
http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#con ... edia=sting
&
Venus

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 pm

I really looked and couldn't see him. Can you give a hint what the timeline was?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 am

After the 02:20 mark. Here's a screencap by beterraba on Tumblr. :)
And a close-up from trelan on Tumblr:
&
Venus

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 am

Ah, many thanks. I did see the figure there and thought it might be him, but I guess I was looking for an easier find.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 am

Yeah it's only a glimpse but I actually wasn't expecting to see Bret in the trailer given that his part is quite small so it was a cool surprise that they included him this way. I guess they learnt their lesson from what happened to Figwit. ;)

Love this gif: "Lindir is having none of your shenanigans" :lol: - http://trelan.tumblr.com/post/318670361 ... henanigans
&
Venus

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie