It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:59 am

Bret in the experimental short film, "Black Sands"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

Re: Bret in the experimental short film, "Black Sands"

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat May 28, 2011 9:37 am

:shock: hot dirty Bret....whoa :oops:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby kipples » Sat May 28, 2011 3:36 pm

This is one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. There's no denying that had Bret not been in it I doubt I would have made it past the part where the random dude vomits what I assume is life back into her. Visually it's nice. Not a fan of the Grape-head people.
It really reminded me of this ad that I freaked me out as a kid.

I loved the cinematographers reel. I'd look out for David Myrick's stuff in the future.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I can see why that ad reminded you of Black Sands. :shock: Whoa. What's with all the black balls...really?!?!? :lol:

So this experimental film was shot back in September, then the video was uploaded on December 5th to Vimeo but according to the views it doesn't seem to have been released to the pubic until May 19th by Dugan O'Neil. The Glitch Mob (who did the music) has this lovely site that was added to their blog on May 20th. I wonder why the delay or if there was a particular purpose in releasing it now? :hrm:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mockingbird » Sat May 28, 2011 5:55 pm

That was the oddest thing I've seen in a long time. I like that Bret is not afraid to act in weird art house short films though, I respect that in a performer. And he does look pretty hot. ;)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby kipples » Sat May 28, 2011 6:50 pm

A small little thing I found that the actress wrote for a health website.
kipples

Postby Venus » Sat May 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Wow, excellent find! Thanks nonch and sunny! :D
This short film was practically made for you, nonch. :waggle:
I have no idea what it means but I liked it and Bret looks incredibly hot! Loving all the screencaps. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 28, 2011 8:03 pm

You guys. :oops: Like I need any encouragement in my insane obsession. :lol: Melinda Lee is very pretty. Thanks for the tidbit, kipples. :)

:puzzled: Look out...I've been thinking. :lol:

I rewatched this film just now and I hope you will humor me and allow me an attempt at one interpretation. :geek: (I have a couple more...this is the G rated one) I welcome everyone elses thoughts on the meaning of Black Sands, I desire your criticism, additions and debate of my thought process, and I await your probable mocking and taunting as well. :boogie: :P

:hrm: I begin with and base this interpretation on the common phrase 'keeping all the balls in the air' used as a metaphor for successfully juggling all of one's responsibilities and activities...the stuff of life. At the start of the film the heroine is exhausted. She has lived. She looks successful but perhaps at great price and she got a little dirty in her efforts? (see what I did there?)

She looks around at the impressive and orderly collection of balls in the air surrounding her, noting that they are also weighty, unstable and seemingly endless and oppressive...and she finally succumbs. At her collapse, the balls are lifted out of sight for the moment.

She rests...soon her 'source of strength' returns (I can think of many things the black man in white could represent) imbibing her with the ability to rise again to her tasks, resume life. Wearily she does so and the balls have gathered above her in writhing, threatening clumps. She see's them, then she sees 'him'. (I can also think of many things that the devastatingly handsome man could represent) He is separated from her by a short, straight but dangerous path.

The archers are part of the black balls (as demonstrated by the Fruit of the Loom hats) and stand ready. Who set them at post? Someone else or possibly even she herself? Perhaps to ensure that she never takes that very path.

With a series of telling glances, we know that he has been waiting and is maybe used to the sight of her longing gaze from time to time across this perilous divide. This time she lingers...causing the archers to take aim, warning her against such a foolish choice. She glances too at the swirling black balls. Weighing it out...considering... The devastatingly handsome man assesses the situation as well, and seems to 'say' "Are you sure?" with his eyes...leaving the fateful decision entirely up to her. With an almost imperceptible nod we know that this time she is willing to risk it all regardless. This pleases him and the (super hot slo mo) journey begins.

They take a straight path, not even attempting to evade or avoid injury but each bolting headlong into this much desired union. There is an equality in effort and risk and we witness the palpable joy upon consummation of the longed for goal. But. Almost immediately all of the looming black balls come crashing down around them and we know not if it was worth it or if she (or anyone else) even survives the fallout.

:D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby kipples » Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Wow, that's pretty good Nonch. I'd accept that. :thumb:
kipples

Postby biscuit » Sat May 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Great analysis, Nonch! :D I'll buy it :nod:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby LauraK » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I saw it as a woman possibly dying on an operating table and this is her vision. At first, there are no balls- only a bit of blue sky with fluffy white clouds that begin to darken. Then when she starts forward, those black balls are all around her. She's trying to go on but she feels overwhelmed by the sickness or cancer (black balls) that's been growing and she's afraid to move forward. It's exhausted her, this fight, and she feels wrung out and dehydrated- sucked dry. She falls, ready to die. But then, life is breathed back in to her. (Surgery) She then has to fight the rest of the way back herself. Across the field of Fruit-of-the-Loom archers (who can do her in if she doesn't fight hard enough or want to live badly enough) is her reason for living. He could represent the man she loves or her whole family, no matter. She wants to live. She nods that she's ready. She's fighting back. They run towards each other and are untouched by the arrows and explosions. When she reaches him the cancer falls from the sky, now impotent as they embrace under healthy golden rays of sun shining upon them.

Lame, but it's what first came to me as I watched it again this morning.

I like your interpretation, nonch, and would love to hear the PG-13 and R versions....knowing you there's also an NC-17 and a XXX. :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kipples » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

That's also a good one Faith :nod:
kipples

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 28, 2011 10:55 pm

LauraK wrote:I ...would love to hear the PG-13 and R versions....knowing you there's also an NC-17 and a XXX. :lol:

:lol: If I have time, I'll type one or two up. :wink: :horny:

I can TOTALLY see the cancer interpretation! :clap: Though the abrupt ending seems more scary to me...not comforting and hopeful. :| I finally got around to watching a few of Dugan O'Neil's other shorts, and it seemed that most of them are comedic. Does anyone see any humor in Black Sands? (aside from the probably unintentional Fruit of the Loom hats) :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby LauraK » Sun May 29, 2011 12:41 am

To me, the happy ending was when they hug and the golden light shines on them and all of the cancer balls fall to the ground, breaking. The abrupt blackness is the end of her dream/vision as she starts to wake up. In my mind. :geek:

And nope, I saw no humor in it. I'd love to hear what he meant by it.

Dinner, Believe in Yourself Too, and Our Minds Align all made me laugh out loud. :D I want to watch the Renegade Cops next...the opening is hilarious. He reminds me of Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

One video was pretty trippy....the one he directed for Eskmo with the freaky crunchy noises and the box of ashes? Weeeeeird, even for me! But I still liked it.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 am

Loved all your ideas. Let's try looking at it another way: What if instead of choosing life, Bret was a love from her past who passed years ago when she was young, meaning she was seeing someone on the other side, and she was choosing to join him instead of life? I'm still trying to fit the "breathing reviver" and the Fruit of the Loom guys into it, but having a good time reading all your possibilities and I'd love to see more! :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Great H » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm with Kipples - if I hadn't known Bret was going to be in it I wouldn't have got past the breathing-life guy! I'm impressed with all the interpretations - I generally don't think too hard about stuff like that - mostly I just sit there going 'hey, cool ball-hat!', or something :lol:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie