It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm

Figwit

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Figwit

Postby Sherry » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Ah the Frodo days :lol:

They only performed that one live in 2002. I remember it well as it was dedicated specifically to us one night in the Caves :shock: :rolleyes: :purple: This was a few months after the Figwit thing broke and so us being there and the LOTR reference all fitted.

Jemaine did most of the talking in sultry tones, something about the ladies in the front row. Bret chimed in with something about hair :hrm: :puzzled: iirc and it being for us.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:29 pm

SHERRY! :shock: :? Just how many Bret and Jemaine stories haven't we heard?!?!?!

"Sultry tones" Hmmm. There you go, on about Jemaine again. :wink: So had you already had your wild pizza/fire night before they dedicated the song, or was this more like foreplay?

I know The Conchords like to poke fun at how some carelessly only associate New Zealand with LOTR and conclude that every single man, woman and child in the country (barring Jemaine) was in the film...but I am quite curious just how much/and what sort of impact it had on the local population. Unlike vmh out in LA *whispers* (that's "Los Angeles", mock) or SheWolf and the east coasters in NYC, here in Iowa we only occasionally have a movie crew come to town, but let me tell you it causes quite a stir. Pssst: B & J...Taika...I'll take this opportunity to mention that our fair state has many very nice tax loopholes er I mean incentives for filmmakers. :nod: Also lovely local women more than willing to don feathers, play patient to your doctor, etc...( :callme: ) Wait, where was I? :worry: Oh yes, filming causes quite a stir here...yes.

Coco makes the comment in an episode of the HBO series that her friend visited NZ because, "She's a huge Lord of the Rings fan". I wonder also about the impact on tourism? We have people stop by here to see the actual bridges of Madison County, the field of dreams...("Is this heaven?" "No. It's Iowa.") ect. I wonder, can I walk along the trail that "Figwit" appeared to (but didn't really) walk along, if I make a pilgrimage to NZ? :lol:

I also remember hearing that the breathtaking scene in the first film where the band of travelers in single file trek along a gorgeous mountain ridge, was actual footage, not CG and no small feat either.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it's obvious that LOTR infiltrated the lives and work of the Conchords.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I would love to have a little gif of Bret's shimmy at 0:23 of that Frodo video. :blush:

Oh, and by the way I meant the HBO video of Frodo, Bret as Legolas. And I'm still gifless. :(
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby mockingbird » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:22 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote: (that's "Los Angeles", mock)

Thanks nonch. :roll: :lol:

I imagine it had quite an impact on the locals because it's so remote. Like, they weren't in a big city or anything. That's what I mean by remote. ;) I used to live in Tucson and they were always filming movies there. I met Gene Hackman at a gas station once. ;) I used to live on 4th Ave which was in kind of the artsy bohemian part of town, and they filmed a movie starring Rosie Perez there. It was cool because they transformed the street to fit the movie, with fake billboards and fake storefronts over the real storefronts and stuff. I spent a hellish night trying to get to sleep while Rosie did take after take of some car chase that involved lots of her screaming. :roll: I wish I could remember the name of the movie. Yours truly also did a star turn in a very very low budget film noir type detective movie. :eyelashes: :lol: I played a waitress, the camera was on a dolly and it followed me as I walked down the aisle of the diner to deliver pancakes to the main characters' table, lol. I'm not even sure if my face was in it, the pancakes were held at chest level so I think they were exploiting me for my boobs. ;)

Anyway! The point of all this is, because it was a city, all the movie stuff really didn't have a whole lot of impact on people's lives - it was usually concentrated in a small area and everyone was kind of used to it plus there was always a lot of other stuff going on so it was no big deal. I have no idea what sort of economic impact it had, I'm sure it had some. But I imagine the towns around where they filmed LOTR were probably pretty small and rural and it was probably a much bigger deal, both in terms of social and economic impact. Plus it probably distracted the sheep quite a bit. ;) OK this was a very long and rambling bit of speculation about something I have very little knowledge about, lol. Aren't you all glad you read this.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Oh and nonch I would be happy to make you a gif of said shimmy but I have no idea how to do that. :dunno: Sorry. I wonder if you can make them in Photoshop? Hmm.
mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 am

He really does have beautiful eyes. :nod:

...And his ears have just the right amount of point. ;) :lol:
mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Sherry wrote:Jemaine did most of the talking in sultry tones

I forgot to say thanks Sherry for that lovely image. *sigh* I love it when Jemaine talks in sultry tones. :blush:

OK I'll stop monopolizing the Figwit thread now, lol. Wow that's a lot of orange on this page. ;) :lol:
mockingbird

Postby Sherry » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:SHERRY! :shock: :? Just how many Bret and Jemaine stories haven't we heard?!?!?!

"Sultry tones" Hmmm. There you go, on about Jemaine again. :wink: So had you already had your wild pizza/fire night before they dedicated the song, or was this more like foreplay?

Erm I don't know. I just remember stuff when there is something relevent to it posted on the forum that jogs my memory :worry:

Do you want me to mention how Bret and I were deep in conversation (seeing Bowie live and other things) and because it was so noisy in the bar we were both leaning our heads right in to talk and so he was talking into my ear and me into his. Does that give you an adequate visual? :purple:

:popcorn:

Nonch?

:quesexcl:

Nonch?

:worry:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Faith » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm

They still have LOTR themed tours you can go on, 10 years after the movies have been filmed. In Matamata, you could tour Hobbiton and Wellington had a few. The locals make fun of it. "Yeah, that field over there is where Shadowfax lives." "There's Mt Doom." :lol: The town where I lived is where they filmed a lot of the Two Towers and one of their cafes has a signed pic of the cast up because they went and ate there a lot while filming. I can imagine filming there was a big deal, not much went on in that little town.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:39 pm

You're trying to kill her, aren't you? :lol:
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Sherry » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Faith wrote:You're trying to kill her, aren't you? :lol:

Either my cunning plan to immobilise Ms Nonch is working or failing :hrm: Her lack of reply so far indicates it could be going either way :hrmpf:

Must strengthen my resolve and try harder :type: :waggle: :writersblock: :halo:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby mockingbird » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Please don't kill nonch with her own jealousy, I would miss her terribly. ;)

However if you think of any Jemaine stories you would like to share, private photographs, home phone numbers etc. I'd love that. I'm tough, I can take it. :thumb: :nod:
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Sherry wrote:Do you want me to mention how Bret and I were deep in conversation (seeing Bowie live and other things) and because it was so noisy in the bar we were both leaning our heads right in to talk and so he was talking into my ear and me into his. Does that give you an adequate visual? :purple:

:whitey: I'm getting there....

.....*closes eyes*

What was he wearing?........

I imagine it was late. Was he starting to look a bit scruffy? His 5 o'clock shadow was surely present.........

Did he have a big delicious beer?........

Were you in a booth or at a table?........

Any dancing?........

*sigh*
Mmmmm yes. I can see it all now. :whitey:

Funny, in my "visualization", it looks more like me lip to earlobe, deep in conversation in the noisy bar with Bret. :waggle:

If it was possible to truly die of jealousy...I'd have been dead well over a year now. :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 pm

mockingbird wrote:I used to live in Tucson and they were always filming movies there. I met Gene Hackman at a gas station once. ;)

Surely not The Quick and the Dead?!?!? :o

That's funny about Rosie, :lol: and your acting stint!!! :thumb: Did you ever see the film?

Faith wrote:They still have LOTR themed tours you can go on, 10 years after the movies have been filmed. In Matamata, you could tour Hobbiton and Wellington had a few. The locals make fun of it. "Yeah, that field over there is where Shadowfax lives." "There's Mt Doom." :lol:

:roll2: I love it! Thanks, Faith.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm

mockingbird wrote:He really does have beautiful eyes. :nod:

Mmmm yes. See! The stubble is bursting forth already! :D

He was probably positively scruffy by the time Sherry was..................

was....................

staring into those big..............

beautiful................

brown ey........................................................ ...................... ................ ........ ...... ....... . ..... . . . .

:thud:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie