It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 am

Figwit

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Figwit

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Then the local Welly press tracked him down (being LOTR related and in Welly people followed stuff and everyone knew everyone), it went worldwide, we found Figwit, or the person pretending to be called Bret McKenzie.

Ah, that's the key part I was wondering about. Dank je wel!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby LSully9 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Never too much info, thanks Sherry! :D That site was pretty hysterical... I'm pretty sure it's still in my bookmarks... Or it was. I think my computer may have died last night...again :roll:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for filling in the blanks. :wave:

Talk about serendipity. If it weren't for a couple of women with sniper-like eyesight and a twisted sense of humor, FOTC may not have gotten much of a crowd, buzz or especially press the way they did in Edinburgh. They wouldn't have gotten the BBC show. They would never had gotten the HBO One Night Stand show. They would be another interesting but local act in Wellington.
:puzzled: :shock: :eeek:
Whatever first set you on that FIGWIT track--a heartfelt THANK YOU!! :yay:
Thanks for doing something, for no other reason, but for a laugh!! Your an inspiration for all the Yes people out there. :eyebrow:

"There are those who play for money,
There are those who play for fame,
But there are still those who play for the love of the Game."

This quote is usually for about baseball, but I like to think of it as being more than that.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby WomanInThePark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 pm

:clap: Nicely put!
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?
WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info Sherry coz I didn't really get the timeline of how things went down with all of this.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nikki78 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm

tvldiva wrote: Is that really his brother? They have the same eyes, but not the same hair. :whistle:
I thought his brother kind of looked like him... I wasn't surprised that they were related, but I prefer Bret. :D As for the hair thing, I've been secretly wondering if Bret is starting to lose his hair too. :tears: :oops: :whistle:

tvldiva wrote:Of course, seeing Elijah Wood talking about him, makes me want to kick myself. The night before FOTC played at the Red Eyed Fly, Elijah Wood was at the club. The music was all heavy metal and the crowd was very light, so I was bored silly at the door. I wasn't paying attention when he walked up. He was holding out his badge to me(so very polite) and smiled. Stumped for words, I just said "Hi there, go on in". BTW- he is hobbit size and his eyes are that big! I wish I would have had my s*** together and told him that FOTC/Bret was playing the next night. That would have been so cool. <<<is mentally kicking my own ass...>>>
I wonder what Elijah Wood thought of being on the flipside cover to Bust magazine with Figwit??
nikki78
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm sure Elijah was honored. I remember when I first saw that mag in the store with Elijah's big blue eyes. Something made me pic it up and turn it over and boy was I glad I did!

Hey man I knew that was Bret's bro before it even said so -similar eyes and nose. Bro and daddy have receeding hairlines so let's enjoy looking at Bret's luscious locks while we can. :whistle:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby hellomyfriend » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Great H wrote:Yeah yeah yeah :oops: What did you think of the doco? I assume you've seen it? :whistle:

Um ... help a sista out?? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

*gesturing toward private messages*

*waiting impatiently for beautiful figwit*

:pray:

SheWolf wrote:... Bro and daddy have receeding hairlines so let's enjoy looking at Bret's luscious locks while we can. :whistle:

Don't make me cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
hellomyfriend
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Oh is your love so superficial as to wane upon Bret's impending baldness? Since Jem doesn't have classically handsome features Jemainiacs are forced to love him for all that he is not just the sum of his face. :hrmpf:

:twisted: :twisted: :P
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Sherry » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:04 pm

SheWolf wrote:Oh is your love so superficial as to wane upon Bret's impending baldness? Since Jem doesn't have classically handsome features Jemainiacs are forced to love him for all that he is not just the sum of his face. :hrmpf:

:twisted: :twisted: :P

:roll2: :purple: :roll2:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby tvldiva » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:28 pm

Now, this shot was taken several years ago in Austin. It is a bit dark but I do remember thinking it looked nice and full on top- which is one of the first signs.
Now, we just need to find a good shot of his forehead to see if there is anything receding... :hrm:
FYI- the gene for balding does come from the mother.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 am

Plus, you can have one brother completely bald, while the other brother has a full head of hair. My boyfriend and his brother are perfect examples. (I've got the bald brother, so I'm hardly one to complain about a little hair loss. :wink: )

Actually, I thought that Bret and his brother had the same mouth, even more than the eyes.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:36 pm

I finally found a nice bit of time to devote to watching this today. First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH GREAT H! Honestly, I've been thinking such nice things about you all week. I really, really appreciated all the effort that went into getting it to us. You're a sweetheart.

And THANK YOU, SHERRY! For all that you do and all that you've done. You rock like Ayers Rock.

indigo_jones wrote:That was fantastic! Loved the audition tape! Loved the early-morning call from his agent and the surprised but sleepy look on his face. Hysterical! Loved lots of other bits that have now slipped my mind. Great seeing /me, aka Tanya, too! Now I want to hear Vending Room some more. Ah, the elusive non-CD Video Kid tracks!

I loved that early-morning phone call, too! He was so deliciously sleepy and conked-out. I wanted to push back the warm covers, climb into bed with him and fall asleep again. Lovely. And I'd never heard Vending Room before! It's dirty. I like it. :D

I also really liked Iris - she seems like such a funny chickie. Nice. Where is she these days? Still grooving over at The One Ring? Or has she moved on to bigger and better things?

There were bits of the doc that had me practically running for the next room, though. That bit with the Scottish fans was excruciatingly, palm-sweatingly funny. When one girl dreamily offered to find Bret some pointy ears to wear, I nearly wet myself. He gets so many points on his scoreboard for being such a good sport. What a nice fella.

I grabbed a few screencaps, just in case anybody wanted them. I know you lot like pictures, and I had important work not to do, so here you go:

First up is hands, because I like hands. So you're getting hands.

Through the taxi window:

Nostrils:

Sleepy Bret:

And my very, very, very most favourite one:

Awwwww!

Trying on ears:

And looking very cute as Figwit:

And this hilarious one of Sir Ian, with a wicked glint in his eye, remembering the beauty that was Figwit. Oh, you and me both, Gandalf. You and me both.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey remember in Tongan Ninja Jemaine says he thinks his hairline is receding and Dave says "No Way Jemaine!" LOL - luv that guy but I digress.

I may be biased but Jemaine did the best (& funniest) figwit pout at the end - oh yes he did. :nod:

I still haven't listened to any of the doc except the Jemaine bits coz the sound on this file is terrible on my computer for some reason so I have to hold the speaker to my ear to hear it. :? No worries though I've got a friend who burnt it for me and he says the volume is fine so I will soon watch it on the TV -ooh!! :o :D
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LSully9 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote: There were bits of the doc that had me practically running for the next room, though. That bit with the Scottish fans was excruciatingly, palm-sweatingly funny. When one girl dreamily offered to find Bret some pointy ears to wear, I nearly wet myself. He gets so many points on his scoreboard for being such a good sport. What a nice fella.

I loved that one lady! She wouldn't give him the time of day until he said he was in Lord of the Rings and they she still did quite believe him and Jemaine and Taika were all :roll2:

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

And looking very cute as Figwit:

:right-click, email: :thumb: :D
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie