It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 am

Bret-spotting

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Postby beck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:18 am

Oh. My. Gawd.

I went. I saw. I was amazed. I think Bret knew what I was up to...

Ok, I actually got up in time! Yay. Me and my friend arrived there just before 8.30, and we could already hear them playing before we went inside. There was about 7 or 8 ukelele players and one double bass jamming along to Folsom Prison Blues. We managed to get a relatively good table, a good view of the band but the bassist had his back to us cause they were all sitting in a circle.

They played for about an hour, playing songs ranging from the Rolling Stones to Kiwi war songs. And the coffee was great.

The whole place had such a warm atmosphere, very welcoming. As regulars came and went, Bret and other band members waved to them, and the band chatted with the cafe patrons. Even I was smiled at. It felt as though I was intruding on a family gathering, it was all so friendly. But soon enough I felt very welcome, with the people at the table next to us smiling and boogie-ing along in their seats, asking us if we wanted to get down (by that I mean dance...).

After about an hour they stopped playing, a few musicians left, including Bret and the music stopped really. I had to leave cause I had a class, which I eventually missed, but that doesn't matter, this was far more important! The coffee was amazing. And I am SO there next Thursday.

I'll try and post some more photos up tonight, Kelle is going to resize them cause they're huuuuge, and hopefully that'll speed up the process of uploading them.

But for now, I'll post this little beauty. Taken this morning. Oh that's right, Breterosexuals. This. Morning.

Hey Deirdre, sorry hun, I didn't read your post until just now. Sorry sorry sorry! I think I know who you're talking about...is she the woman in the picture ^^?
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Pineapple » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:37 am

Woah! As Wayne Campbell would say ..WOAH!! EXTREME CLOSE-UP WOAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Nice shot of the sideburns. WOW this morning. Wicked. Oh to live in Wellington!
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple

Postby beck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:49 am

Waynes World?! That is my all time favourite movie!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck

Postby Pineapple » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:55 am

ME TOO! Well not my all-time favourite but well worth noting. In fact I watched it just yesterday with my brother!
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:22 pm

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

You rock, beck!

As it's 8 a.m. Thursday morning for me now, it's almost like being there! Oh, to be in Wellington! *sigh* Thank you so much for the picture and the info, beck! I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures! Eeeeeee!

Out of curiosity, who else is in the ukelele band?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Deirdre » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Great report Beck. It sound like a wonderful way to start your day. A cup of coffee with a Bret on the side. I wish I could have heard them. How do ukuleles sound in a group? Maybe they have a CD coming out? :wink:

I can't wait to see more pictures. This one shows a variety of pretty ukuleles. And of course, you are right, that's Gemma. :D

You are so lucky! You can see Bret every Thursday, and you live in the prettiest country in the world.
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby jm513 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:09 pm

I can't quite explain just how many shades of green I am right now!! :lol: :lol: That's awesome Beck! What a way to start your day!! Really really, green green green green.......... :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby Andria » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:27 am

Awesome, beck! Thanks so very much for the skinny!
It sounds like a very nice place to hang out. Especially on Thursday... :D

I would also be interested to know who else was in the band, if you happend to take note.

Can't wait for the pictures! Thanks to Kelle, too. :)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby beck » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:00 am

Ok I got some more pics online, smaller ones thanks to Kelle's awesome technology skills.

I didn't recognise any members of the band, although some did look vaguely familiar. The Wellington Arts scene is relatively small though, so I've probably seen them around before. It was mainly guys playing, but there were 2 women, one being Gemma, the one who Deirdre mentioned. They were truly excellent. Those who do come to Wellington have to go see them. If you don't I will stab you.

Here's more photos.

Image[/img]
Last edited by beck on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
beck

Postby Pineapple » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:04 am

Awesome! And the whole stabbing thing, don't worry! If they're still doing their thing next holidays, and if I happen to be in town on a Thursday, I'm so there! I like ukeleles. Wish I'd listened to my grandpa when he was trying to teach me how to play one :(
Pineapple

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Awesome! Lovely! Fantastic! Thanks heaps!
:biggrin:

I now have a craving for coffee and ukeleles.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Birday » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:07 pm

great pictures beck!!

the first one,pure cuteness.haha i love bret's smug expression :) hehe!

man,now i wish i could get the ukelele that's at the Flea Market here...but i'm so broke,like MC Hammer broke :x :( :lol:

i also wish i were in wellington,finally a reason to wake up extra early on a thursday morning! :wink: hahaha
Birday
Giving the paper to the people

ukeleles

Postby Cleren » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Wonderful report and piccies.

I am so going to save up for a ticket to NZ to see my brother-in-law and his family. Better tell them not to plan anything for Thursday mornings, as I'll have a prior engagement.
Cleren
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Deirdre » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:01 am

Thank you so much Beck. :macarena:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby jm513 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:17 am

Those are awesome Beck! I just can't imagine how cool it would be to sit in a coffee shop and watch Bret, 5 feet in front of me, playing a ukelele (did I spell that right?) that would be so cool I just can't actually put my head around the idea...... :rolleyes:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie