It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:04 am

Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

Re: Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

Postby Venus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:So mesmerizing. I'm completely entranced. :heart:

Good News! The WIUO made the cut for video of the year at Ukulele Hunt! :D

Go, Short People! :cheer: :lol:

Nominated Videos

Secret Home Party – Reciprocation
Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra – Short People
Manitoba Hal – Poulet Shack
James Hill – Billie Jean
Jónsi and Nico Muhly – Go Do
Bella Hemming – (She might love you if you learn to) Play Guitar

Go here to vote! C'mon people! Let's make this happen! :clap: Tell everyone you know and not only will we show our love to the WIUO, but maybe also spread the ukulele virus. :rock: Ew! Let's infect the whole world!!! :lol: Truly...watch all the nominees. So good.

I'm really so excited, I don't know if any of you watched any of those suggested videos but there was some crazy talent amongst them and a lot of very amazing clips. Woot! Go Kiwi's!!! :supz:

:yay: Thanks for the info, nonch! Just tweeted and posted an update about it from the What The Folk! accounts. Really hope they win! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby mockingbird » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 am

I hope WIUO wins. But I really enjoyed Poulet Shack. :thumb: "Chicken in the front... chicken in the back..." :macarena: :lol:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 am

Yikes...it's so close! :nails: I really like Bella's tune and that version of Billie Jean is tight. 8) How does he do that? :prayer:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mockingbird » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 am

I like Bella's tune too, she has such a sweet voice but I thought it went on a little too long. I am developing some serious admiration for Manitoba Hal though. Voodoo Thing is just amazing. :prayer:
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm

People must agree. :dunno: Manitoba Hal has pulled into the lead. It's a bit too....um....backwoods for me. :doomed:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I put the link on my FB....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:It's a bit too....um....backwoods for me. :doomed:

It's the blues, woman! :rock: :tsk: How can you not like the blues?? ;)
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

Nah...I don't know that much about genres...but I must take my blues a bit more jazzy and a lot less country...Norah Jones, Billie Holiday etc. Sexy, smoky, slinky, seductive and velvety smooth. Makes me want to pour a martini...kick off my pumps...slide out of my panty hose and slow dance barefoot in front of the fireplace. TMI? :worry:

I do like Manitoba Hal's logo. Sort of a sweet ukulele nod to B.B. King's 80. :thumb:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby mockingbird » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 am

Slow and slinky is good too. :nod: But then so is boogie on down with a pitcher of beer in a dive bar, lol. But then again, what moves my booty may not move yours. :dunno: So turns the world, amen. ;)

Regardless - I still have my fingers crossed for the WIUO.
mockingbird

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Yikes...it's so close! :nails: I really like Bella's tune and that version of Billie Jean is tight. 8) How does he do that? :prayer:

My thoughts exactly! Seriously, how is that guy playing the uke? :lol: And Bella's tune is sweet. :)

It's currently close between Bella and Manitoba but I hope WIUO can still pull through. :cheer:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby helgecko » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:26 am

Hi everyone! :wave:

It's been a while, I know, but I just had to share some memories from last night's epic WIUO gig here in Sydney.
In short: It was amazing. Pure, unmitigated joy.
The venue was great, the crowd was awesome, and I think the Orchestra were having a lot of fun. Oh, and they also raised a bunch of money for the NZ Red Cross :yay:

Amongst others (and in no particular order), they played Heartache and Hoki Mai (the 2 encore songs), Africa, Charming Man, Push It (I hadn't seen this live before, and it was AMAZING), Cry Me a River, Jolene, a Hawaiian song Carmel did hula dancing for, Ruby, I Love You Raylene, Afternoon Delight (this was hilarious. The audience did the "Peeew!" bit so perfectly and with such enthusiasm that Age just started laughing, and then afterwards he said "you guys really like that song, huh? We only just discovered it. I can't believe how rude it is. It's so rude!" :lol: )
They did John Farnham's "You're The Voice" just for us Aussies. They called it our 2nd National Anthem and Age played the bagpipe part on the vibraphone. The singing along was mind blowing. (If you aren't familiar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxlE7yCSHAM)
Sam got up in front to sing Happy Together ("it's me and you.. and you and me.." in his AMAZING one-piece. He said he'd sewn it himself out of an old bedspread, and it basically became the star of the show. More than once the chant "One! Piece! One! Piece! One! Piece!" broke out in the crowd. Sam seemed pretty much equally delighted and embarrassed, and at one point just did a little "yippee!" into his microphone :heart:
Another brave sartorial choice were Andy's tiny little yellow short shorts :lol:

Seriously though, the audience were amazing. And I say in full awareness of Sydney crowds sometimes being known to be obnoxious/ annoying whatever. But yep, we brought it. It was the perfect mix of responsive (LOTS of clapping and cheering, and incredible singing along), and quiet when they needed to be. One song Age introduced by saying "we're going to bring it right down now" and he said it was a bit of a special song so we had to listen, and it was just a duet between Nigel and Andy. So all this "sshhhh!"ing went round the crowd for a bit, and everyone DID "shh" and just listened to this beautiful song (I couldn't tell you what it was, I'm sorry...) and then just burst into applause and cheering at the end :heart:
After that Nigel said "thank you Sydney" and there was a general mumble-cheer, so Age said "The correct response is "Thank you Nigel"" so everyone was yelling that out :D

It finished pretty late, and I had one very tired friend with me, so we didn't hang around for very long, but I did get to have a pretty good chat with both Megan and Gemma, and said hi and exchanged a few words with Age and Sam :) :heart:

Oh! And on the train in we came across copies of the free MX Sydney "newspaper", and guess who was front page?? :D
I grabbed 2 copies and gave one to Gemma :)

I didn't take any videos this time round, and only got a few photos on my iPhone, so they're not great quality. But here they are:

It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Great H » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 am

Ahaha! Awesome Hels! :yay:
I thought about you last night and wondered how it was going! Sounds like a sweet set - I've heard them do most of those songs at some point, and I LOVE it when the sing-alongs are loud! Their version of 'cry me a river' is pretty spectacular I think!
I absolutely ADORE Sam's bedspread jumpsuit, but I'm a tad concerned about those tiny shorts Andy is wearing :shock: :lol:
Glad they were able to indoctrinate a few more Aussies into the wily ways of the Welly Uke group :D :clap:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby helgecko » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 am

Hey Helen :hug:
Yeah, it was a brilliant set, so good to see quite a few I hadn't seen before :D And yes, Cry Me a River is AMAZING. So wonderful.
Oh, and I forgot to include before, they also played Dreaming of You and I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man :heart:

Andy's shorts were hilarious (especially teamed with his bowler hat and bare feet). We were right up the front (obvs.) and were kind of copping an eyeful-'o-Andy. We were a bit scared at first, but then we just went with it :wink: :lol:

And yes, I'm sure heaps of people were totally converted. It felt like the energy of the room just rose and rose through the night as people really got into it, and I know the friends I took were completely blown away. Even after all my extreme hyping :lol:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Great H wrote: but I'm a tad concerned about those tiny shorts Andy is wearing :shock:
I like Andy's shorts. Looks like he's got a good pair of gams & nice feet. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks, Hel! What a great show you got to see! I bet Gemma loved getting that paper....8)

Your pics are excellent- I love Andy's little shorts and Sam's homemade onesie, lol! And I like Francis' Mighty Boosh shirt. :) (It looked like Andy's shorts got shorter and tighter when he sat down....lol)

What a wonderful bunch of songs...maybe someone will be able to figure what the slow duet was, I'm really curious. They all have good voices, but Nigel's and Andy's (along with Age) are my favorites.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie