It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 am

Tongan Ninja

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: Nancy

Postby /me » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:02 pm

I have to say I am really ticked. The copy of Tongan Ninja I got has no commentary or anything. I had no idea there was a commentary! :cry:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Different Versions of TN?

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:44 pm

/me wrote:I have to say I am really ticked. The copy of Tongan Ninja I got has no commentary or anything. I had no idea there was a commentary! :cry:

I'm really surprised that they would make different versions of the DVD! Was yours published before 2004? Is there no "Extras" section on the main menu of your TN DVD? My main menu reads Chapter Selections, Extras, Audio Setup and Play. If you do have an Extras section you should have The Making of Tongan Ninja, then below that Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, TV Spots, and Trailers. From the Commentaries section you should be able to select from a commentary by Jason Stutter, or one with the actors and the film editor. You should also be able to access the commentaries if you go directly into the Audio Setup section.
Ellen

Postby conchordgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:12 pm

/me wrote:I have to say I am really ticked. The copy of Tongan Ninja I got has no commentary or anything. I had no idea there was a commentary! :cry:

What? That doesn't sound right. I rented it from Netflix and mine had the commentary. Is there a possibility of two versions? Maybe someone is selling pirated copies? That's the only thing I can think of. Does your menu look like this:

The commentary should be under "audio setup"..

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson
conchordgirl

Postby Sherry » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:38 pm

conchordgirl wrote:

What? That doesn't sound right. I rented it from Netflix and mine had the commentary. Is there a possibility of two versions? Maybe someone is selling pirated copies? That's the only thing I can think of. Does your menu look like this:

The commentary should be under "audio setup"..

--Nicole

Different versions released in different places at different times.

The UK got something else entirely. The US release came later on. And the extras got added in 2004. I am not sure how many versions are floating around out there tbh.

I think the US DVD got the extras as anything bare bones over there just does not sell. Region 1 releases are always sure to get better extras than other regions. Its the market demand.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby conchordgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:51 pm

Sherry wrote:Different versions released in different places at different times.

The UK got something else entirely. The US release came later on. And the extras got added in 2004. I am not sure how many versions are floating around out there tbh.

I think the US DVD got the extras as anything bare bones over there just does not sell. Region 1 releases are always sure to get better extras than other regions. Its the market demand.

Thank you Sherry,
I guess I should have known that, I'm ordering my copy from Amazon.com or this place nearby if they have it. I'm sorry /me that you didn't get the commentary.

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
conchordgirl

Postby conchordgirl » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:05 am

I just found "Tongan Ninja" on the shelves at my local Fry's! It wasn't in the comedy section, I found it in the Action section.. and it was cheaper than Amazon.com.. It does have the commentary..so if anyone is near a Fry's go see if they have it! :bounce:
(I guess now I better mail back my copy from Netflix..)
--Nicole
conchordgirl

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:45 pm

I'm hoping my copy will arrive today or at least Monday. I can't wait to finally see it!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Andria » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:35 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I'm hoping my copy will arrive today or at least Monday. I can't wait to finally see it!

Just make sure you watch it by yourself or with an appreciative audience. I started watching it by myself and then two people who didn't really get it walked in and watched it with me. I was sitting there giggling to myself and they were silent almost the whole movie. Buzz kill, indeed. I still need to re-watch it with commentary. :D That should be funny too.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:27 pm

It finally arrived today! And I promptly sat down and watched it and enjoyed it! I loved all the So-Called Syndicate members walking around with the ninja masks on all the time, even at the club and the No Fighting sign at the club. The fight scene at the end was great, too. Lots and lots of fun bits! The documentary on the making of the film was hilarious. Now I just have to go back and watch it with the commentary.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby kneedragger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:07 pm

indigo_jones wrote:It finally arrived today! And I promptly sat down and watched it and enjoyed it! I loved all the So-Called Syndicate members walking around with the ninja masks on all the time, even at the club and the No Fighting sign at the club. The fight scene at the end was great, too. Lots and lots of fun bits! The documentary on the making of the film was hilarious. Now I just have to go back and watch it with the commentary.

I just picked up my copy at the Post Orifice. Yeehaw!!! :lol:

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"
kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:41 pm

I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, Sean!

I think the "annoying poke" is my favorite move. I've been using it on my pets, much to my amusement and their annoyance.

indigo_jones

Postby djdeathskiss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 pm

Oh, wow - this sounds hysterical! I must find a copy.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'
djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:58 pm

I wanted to hear the Tongan Ninja theme song last night, so I put the DVD in and ended up also watching a good portion of the commentary with Jemaine and a couple of the other actors. Definitely one of the more enjoyable commentaries. I usually get bored with them and quit after a few minutes, but this was actually entertaining.

indigo_jones

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:45 am

I just saw Tongan Ninja for the first time. Could Jemaine be any more adorable? Chest-rug and all. And I'm not just being biased here, but he was a stand out in the film. Really, really funny.

*sigh*
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Deirdre » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:08 am

Gayle,

You have to go directly to "The Making of..." part in the special features. It's cute, but that's not what I am talking about.

About halfway through, you will come to a part where Jemaine is doing some flying stunt or something and he starts swinging upside down. That is funny, but still not what I am talking about.

When he lands he makes the cutest laugh/honking sound :rolls: and has the most amazing smile you have ever seen. It's the scene that the screen cap that looks like he just got out of the shower comes from. I watched it over and over. OH, the joy of it. :thumb:
Go...now...do... :pray: How pushy am I? Nah, I'm just excited for you :blush:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement