It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 am

Tongan Ninja

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: Nancy

Postby Gayle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:45 pm

avaritsos wrote:high camp, loved it. and bret choreographed. nice. wish dave fane didn't do his homophobic and mysogynist thing through out the commentary but i even thought that was funny. people who think this isn't funny need to lighten up.

Yeah, I really get the sense that he was being rude for the sake of being rude and not to overtly offend anyone (except maybe Raybon, who he was teasing). I think racism is a hot issue in the Pacific rim and one way to deal with it is in a very ironic way, mock the racists.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby conchordgirl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:56 pm

so still the question remains, was dave drunk or not?
hmm...:puzzled: he is a great actor so you never know..

nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson
conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Gayle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:59 pm

conchordgirl wrote:so still the question remains, was dave drunk or not?
hmm...:puzzled: he is a great actor so you never know..

nicole

To use the proper vernacular: He was peed! He had how many beers during the film? 6 or more... He's a big guy, but still - he was drinking quickly and he had to have been smashed.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby avaritsos » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm

i'm curious. what do you ladies think of the title song sequence. do you fancy j as elvis?
avaritsos
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:13 pm

avaritsos wrote:i'm curious. what do you ladies think of the title song sequence. do you fancy j as elvis?

I think he's hilarious as Elvis. The extra lip movement at the end of "he adopted the name, the Tongan Ninja..." is classic. The song itself makes me giggle. I also love the song Nunchucka Lover. So funny.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby avaritsos » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 pm

i thought the elvis bit was really so out there that he as to have a great sense of humor. like you said the lip quiver, and what about those patented elvis hip-thrusts? classic elvis. i thought it was very brave and uninhibited and that made it all the funnier.

i'm also pretty shocked that he's straight and is that good a dancer.

very funny number.
avaritsos
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

avaritsos wrote:i thought the elvis bit was really so out there that he as to have a great sense of humor. like you said the lip quiver, and what about those patented elvis hip-thrusts? classic elvis. i thought it was very brave and uninhibited and that made it all the funnier.

i'm also pretty shocked that he's straight and is that good a dancer.

very funny number.

He IS a good dancer - as evidenced by the last fight scene. His Michael Jackson is great. I think his agility is what makes his physical comedy work so well. I don't know if you are familiar with Bill Irwin, a man was made of rubber, but every movement was exact and purposeful.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby avaritsos » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 pm

i agree. very good jackson too. he's a good dancer for sure.

don't know bill irwin.
avaritsos
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:47 pm

avaritsos wrote:i agree. very good jackson too. he's a good dancer for sure.

don't know bill irwin.

Here is a Bill Irwin site, if you are interested. He's great.

One of favorite moments of Jemaine's is in that first fight scene at the temple when Sione punches him and he reacts in slo-mo - very effective bit, he got it just right.

Also, in the commentary, the fact that he points out that you can see the top of his "undies" in the last fight scene is adorable. I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't said anything. Too cute.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Deirdre » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:55 pm

Yes, the undies bit was too cute. I had to replay it because I didn't see it the first time around. He just sounds like a total cutie. :love:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby jm513 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:56 pm

I LOVE the Elvis dance scene! As soon as it started I just started cracking up and my friend who was watching it with me was like "What??" and I was just like "Jemaine - Elvis - Jemaine - Elvis - its perfect!!!!" - he didn't get it, but oh well....... (I really need to find another word aside from 'like'. I am not a valley girl - really).........
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby avaritsos » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:59 pm

yes the undies scene and comment are a favorite around here too. who knew ladies were big fans of (as kate calles em) tightie-whities?
avaritsos
Half a shapely halibut

Postby jm513 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:00 pm

personally, I'm all about the boxer briefs...........yummy......
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:00 pm

I really do love the songs in the movie. I find myself singing the theme song on an almost daily basis -- to the point where it really is a good thing I like the song, or it might drive me insane! Even funnier is that the boyfriend often bursts out singing it, too, and he's only seen the movie once! It's that addictive a song! :!: :!: :!:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:07 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I really do love the songs in the movie. I find myself singing the theme song on an almost daily basis -- to the point where it really is a good thing I like the song, or it might drive me insane! Even funnier is that the boyfriend often bursts out singing it, too, and he's only seen the movie once! It's that addictive a song! :!: :!: :!:

First: Boxer-briefs, most definately, are the preferred undergarment.

Secondly: I find that a lot of Bret and Jemaine's music has a knack of sticking in your head. I find myself singing The Bus Driver's Song all the time, in addition to Tongan Ninja. They are really well crafted songs that grab your attention and are so clever.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement