R-R-R-R-Random Jemaine Discussion

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Re: R-R-R-R-Random Jemaine Discussion

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I really hope he's not in this movie. Because I've seen some of those guys and their tactics on TV and UGH. UGH! "Mystery" just creeps me right out and Neil Strauss was a smarmy rock critic and now he's a smarmy pickup artist. UGH.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Venus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 am

Hmm, well this pickup artist thing is new to me so I previously didn't know anything about Neil Strauss and others. Thanks for the links, mock. Haha, I read that Seduction Community article on Wiki and it all seems quite strange and sleazy but still quite funny and I'm intrigued to know what kinda role Jemaine could be taking on. :lol: I guess there's a possibility that Jemaine could be the character 'Mystery'. Gonna have to find out more about him.

nonchalant obsession wrote:LOL. I would love to see Jemaine's take on this. He's had practice playing offensive males, that's for sure. And if anyone could make us love a 'pickup artist', Jemaine is probably the one.

:nod:

/Film article about the film can be found here.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Oh where would we be if actors played only the noble roles??!?!?! I quote Kurt and Ethan on the Simpsons, "Artists are the people who hold up a mirror!" "Artists makes society see it's faults clearer!"

It's purported to be a romantic comedy, right? I'm sure our smarmy lothario will end up learning a lesson in love. :lol: What's the romcom formula again? :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 am

I have a very high tolerance for anti-heros and unlikable characters. But I must repeat, UGH. Skeeve-city.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm heading over to my local library to check out a copy of the book, "The Game..." I don't really enjoy non-fiction, but I will attempt to visualize Jemaine as 'Mystery'. I'll also imagine the story injected with heaps of awkward comedy to be provided by the heeeelarious writers of The Office. It's funny but when I imagine the possibilities of the movie starring Jemaine I get a very different feeling about the subject than if I imagine Russell Brand in the lead.

Just found this on Wiki concerning the character, "Mystery".

Mystery is credited with popularizing a few terms that he often uses, including "peacocking" - dressing to stand out, or to have an item of clothing or an accessory that looks interesting, allowing the girl to comment on it if she is interested in starting a conversation with you and "cat-string theory" which means keeping women engaged just enough to hold her attention, and the "neg" - a backhanded compliment.

:roll2: I really hope the book doesn't turn me off, because this is amusing me greatly already. "The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)" is a fine example of the 'neg', eh? :lol: And was Jemaine peacocking a bit by wearing the same shirt endlessly on tour? :whistle: And don't get me started on the use of the cat-string theory on myspace. :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm

I just stopped at the library and snorted out loud when I pulled 'The Game' off the shelf. It is a rich black leather bound book with gold gilt edged paper and a red satin ribbon to mark your page. :purple: I'm twelve pages in and I am intrigued. I'm off to find a book thread to discuss. Someone else please pick up this book...I know it's humiliating, what with the overall look of the Bible but with sexy gold sillouettes of ladies embossed on the cover. :lol: :oops: just use the self check out at the library like I did. :worry:

It starts at the end (I'm presuming) and I am having no trouble seeing Jemaine in this role so far. I will refrain from stating why... And no, the words spoken by Mystery are not printed in red. :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Faith » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:30 am

nonchalant obsession wrote: Someone else please pick up this book...I know it's humiliating, what with the overall look of the Bible but with sexy gold sillouettes of ladies embossed on the cover. :lol: :oops: just use the self check out at the library like I did. :worry:

:lol:

I'm intrigued but not enough to go check it out at the library.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby vmh » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 am

I remember helping a ton of guys find that book during my time at Barnes & Noble. It's one of the most requested books but I had no idea what it was about until now. We used to keep it behind the registers to prevent theft of the more sought after books. I always thought it was about business/sales stuff. Hah!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby mockingbird » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:49 am

Nonch you are cracking me up. :roll2: I'm going to the library tomorrow in fact so I will look for the Sexy Bible, and check it out with my head held high and my two kids in tow. :lol:

vmh - it is about business - Business Time. *boom chicka wow wow* :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:13 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote: And don't get me started on the use of the cat-string theory on myspace. :wink:
Shut up
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 pm

:spit: :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

From the dedication page in the front of the book, The Game:

Image :yawinkle:

Hiya, SheWolf! :comehere: :partyman: :hug:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Venus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Haha, hmm maybe I have to look into reading this book. :lol: I would like to know for sure that Jemaine is going to take part in this movie though.

SW! :hug:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby mockingbird » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 am

:roll2:

I went to the library tonight and got this book. I laughed to myself when I pulled it off the shelf and it looked exactly like nonch described, lol. I haven't started reading it yet because I'm in the middle of reading Three Cups of Tea, which is about this selfless humanitarian who built a bunch of schools in the mountains of Pakistan in honor of his dead sister. I think The Game will be a nice contrast to that, lol.
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm

LOL, mockingbird. There will be quite a contrast alright. (unless your book is also more than a bit boring and not particularly well written)

Every time Mystery talks about who's going to be his 'wingman', and all the other Top Gun references I do giggle remembering the FotC episode, but I find myself picturing Criss Angel or Johnny Depp in the role more than Jemaine. (I think the piercings and black nail polish are throwing me) Then again, I had a tiny bit of trouble getting used to Jemaine as Keiran, Jarrod or Dr. Chevalier so maybe it would grow on me. :dunno: Jemaine looked pretty good in guy-liner and manscara in the Fashion is Danger video.

So far this book is gross, puerile and underwhelming. I find it hard to believe there are really any men who took it seriously, but the story is ripe to be brutally decimated with humor and a sharp wit.

I was hoping for some interesting points to be make about how ‘sexyness’ comes from within, that social skills can get you further than traditional good looks, and that maybe some men fail at approaching women simply because they need a few tips and a lot more practice. :lol: Or maybe even to explore what is it exactly that draws you toward or away from another human being?

I think I would almost rather see Jemaine start out as an AFC (average frustrated chump) but I'll try to stick with it. Maybe the rest of the book will reveal some interesting twists for Mystery. The beginning (end) is rather dramatic and I would love to see J do some serious acting.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:06 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:LOL, mockingbird. There will be quite a contrast alright. (unless your book is also more than a bit boring and not particularly well written)

Well maybe there won't be so much contrast, after all. ;) It wasn't exactly boring but it wasn't very well written. I did finish it though so now it's on to The Game.
mockingbird

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement