It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOILERS

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Re: New film from novel Predicament

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:22 pm

If Clement, 35, is signed up for Predicament, it's likely he will play one of the leading male characters, Cedric Williamson or Mervyn Toebeck.

This was my first thought: "I'm a man, yes, technically I am."
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Peripeteia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 pm

*hops on the next plane to NZ to audition for leading lady role*
8)
Height of rudeness....
Peripeteia
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eorious » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 am

If Clement, 35, is signed up for Predicament, it's likely he will play one of the leading male characters, Cedric Williamson or Mervyn Toebeck.

It's funny, because I've finished reading the novel and I can't see him playing either of those roles. Certainly not Mervyn Toebeck in any case (a fat sweaty guy with beady eyes and "a pumpkin of a face"). Cedric is the hero of the novel so it would be fabulous if that's the role Jemaine is going to play, but Cedric is 15 years old. Hmmmmmm. :hrm:

To be honest I figured the only roles that would suit him would be one of the more minor roles, either Ernie Fox (broad shoulders and "an unruly mop of dark curls") or Blair Bramwell ("good looking enough to be a film star"). Both of whom are rather lucky with the ladies. But I guess those roles wouldn't be much of a stretch for him as an actor. :lol:

Sherry, am I right in thinking you may have given us a hint on this? :wink: I won't tell, I don't want to ruin it for anyone. :silence:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 am

I've posted all I know.

Jason Stutter didn't say much in that interview but did confirm that Jemaine was up for a part. Didn't say which one though. It could be a lesser part which would still be cool.

I'm hoping that Jemaine is on board with the project still and am looking forward to seeing the cast announced officially soon.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby eorious » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Sherry wrote:I've posted all I know.

Ok, thanks. I guess I was just reading too much into something you said earlier. I do that sometimes. :doomed:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:11 pm

eorious wrote:It's funny, because I've finished reading the novel and I can't see him playing either of those roles. Certainly not Mervyn Toebeck in any case (a fat sweaty guy with beady eyes and "a pumpkin of a face"). Cedric is the hero of the novel so it would be fabulous if that's the role Jemaine is going to play, but Cedric is 15 years old. Hmmmmmm.

To be honest I figured the only roles that would suit him would be one of the more minor roles, either Ernie Fox (broad shoulders and "an unruly mop of dark curls") or Blair Bramwell ("good looking enough to be a film star"). Both of whom are rather lucky with the ladies. But I guess those roles wouldn't be much of a stretch for him as an actor.

So eorious, how did you like the book? Would you recommend it? (Oh, and did you say where you ordered it from? Don't remember that from your earlier post.)
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby eorious » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:32 am

SuzyBatt wrote:So eorious, how did you like the book? Would you recommend it? (Oh, and did you say where you ordered it from? Don't remember that from your earlier post.)

I really enjoyed the book, and I would absolutely recommend it! It's not the sort of thing I normally read, so it took me maybe 30 pages or so to really get into it. But once I did, I literally could not put it down. I can't remember the last time I finished a book so quickly.

It's described as a "crime caper", which makes me think of heist films like Italian Job. It's not like that. I would describe it as more of a mystery/coming of age novel. In a way it reminded me of Stand By Me.

I think to see this made into a film will be a real treat. Not only will the scenery be gorgeous since it will be shot on location, but there are some really fascinating, quirky characters I can't wait to see on screen.

I bought a used copy of the book from Amazon Marketplace two weeks ago for $1.50 plus shipping. It's looks like the prices have gone up quite a bit since I got mine though. The announcement of the film must have created enough buzz for sellers to raise their prices. :( Hopefully the author's other novels are still reasonably priced because I want to read them all now.
:read:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks eorious. And for the heads-up on rising prices. :roll: I think I may try to get my hands on it somehow.
You should post about it over on the Watcha readin' thread. :thumb:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby helgecko » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:08 am

That sounds great eorious, I'm so glad it's such a good book :D
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:39 am

I'm super tempted to buy it now...gah I love reading!
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:06 am

Now I quite want to read this novel! It sounds like some good reading. And I've been needing to read more anyhow. But then again, I'll picture the lead character as Jemaine in my head. :rolleyes: Which will make the reading experience that much more pleasurable.
ImageImage
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peripeteia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 am

I just received this book (used) in the mail this past week...haven't read the novel yet, but I read the bio on the author and it seems he was quite underappreciated during his lifetime by the New Zealand literary world. It reminded me of many interviews I've read about FotC (early years)trying to break into the NZ media to no avail...hmmm...eorious, any thoughts?
PS, I'd be happy to mail out this book, once read by me, to anyone seriously wanting to read it...just PM me...as long as it has it's safe return to me :D
Height of rudeness....
Peripeteia

Postby eorious » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 am

Peripeteia wrote:I just received this book (used) in the mail this past week...haven't read the novel yet, but I read the bio on the author and it seems he was quite underappreciated during his lifetime by the New Zealand literary world. It reminded me of many interviews I've read about FotC (early years)trying to break into the NZ media to no avail...hmmm...eorious, any thoughts?

Interesting....I hadn't really thought about it before, but you're right it is somewhat similar to FOTC. His publisher was in Australia and he wasn't really known or appreciated in his home country. Maybe if he had travelled abroad like FOTC did and tried harder to promote himself elsewhere, he would have gained the recognition he deserved while he was still alive. I thought it was sad how he'd lived his entire life in that same town, in the same house even, and that he'd died so young. It's just too bad that he had to suffer so much rejection. Maybe if he'd been happier he'd have written more and drank less.
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Sherry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Party to kick off filming

By RICHARD WOODD - Taranaki Daily News Last updated 05:00 01/07/2009

There's so little public activity you'd hardly know a full-length feature film was being made in South Taranaki, but that's all about to change.

The South Taranaki District Council is laying on a welcome party next Friday for the 50-odd cast and crew of Midnight Productions, who are involved in the making of Predicament.

Invited guests will get a chance to meet the star (as yet unnamed but almost certainly Jemaine Clement, one half of the Flight of the Conchords), the director and screenplay writer Jason Stutter and producer Sue Rogers.

A new clue to the star's identity is the latest reprint of Ronald Hugh Morrieson's novel by Dunmore Publishing, which has a black-haired, black horn-rimmed spectacled chap on the cover that strongly suggests Clement in the lead role of Cedric Williamson.

Company publicist Sue May says everything is going according to schedule with filming starting in mid-July and running through to August, at unidentified locations through the district. However, they are urgently looking for more crew accommodation.

"We need good quality furnished houses in Hawera that are available to rent. This is because although the motels are very helpful, and we are using them, we seem to have booked out the whole town and we have more people still to accommodate," she says.

Anyone able to help should contact Gerald Langford, communications manager at the STDC.

Set building is in full swing in the old Warehouse building right in the centre of Hawera, but the windows have been covered over.

One thing that is known is the director has asked Taranaki Newspapers to print a 200-copy run of a special newspaper, called The Harperton Herald, so obviously something in the movie is going to make headlines.

The big unknown is: Whose house will be used to represent the Williamson family home?

Source
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby CailenBraern » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 pm

I know nothing of this industry...Are welcome parties the norm?

As a lover...I was seriously inexperienced.
CailenBraern

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement