What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 94  Next
Deirdre
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:29 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

OK, here's someone saying whay I was trying to say. But this person is much better at it; and he actually saw the movie.

Because despite some over-quirky trappings and a fairly familiar sense of weird humor, Eagle vs. Shark is (in some ways) even better than Napoleon Dynamite -- the film which Eagle vs. Shark will be compared with most frequently. (I definitely enjoyed Napoleon, but it seemed to harbor a mild contempt for its characters, whereas Eagle most definitely does not.) Both films are set in exotically bland locales that are populated by humorously askew denizens who spew some seriously arcane conversations at one another. But there's a real sense of sweetness to this Kiwi import that elevates it beyond many of its ilk -- and the actors are really good. from a review at Cinematical by Scott Weinberg.

See, sweet. :eyelashes:

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:41 pm 
Professional Blonde

Yeah, I read that review also D :) There is hope yet :lol: Even if the writer did mention some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

:roll2:

And now for something else, while I am here :)

There are so many of them (reviews that is) I can't be arsed to keep updating with them. If a few more appear online I'll do another all in one update, otherwise I'll just leave it now, as its becoming overkill. I like covering the non Conchords stuff of course, but I am aware its not what the site is actually about :lol: so I don't want to overdo it for the people out there reading it all. Plus all the reviews can be found via a quick search anyways :roll:

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:16 pm 
Professional Blonde

Some cool pics from the film are up on the main site now 8)

Go here to view them

I rather like the corny tee shirt choice of Jarrod and the sleeping bag pic

:lol:

Don
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am 
New arrival

Sherry wrote:
Some cool pics from the film are up on the main site now 8)

That's my daughter standing next to Jemaine in the bus shelter... colour me proud.
Taika was apparently looking for an 11 year old Maori boy to play the character of Jemaine's son in the movie, but instead chose an 8 year old blonde girl with no previous acting experience. He did explain it to me, but I probably won't fully understand the depth of his genius (or madness?) until I see the movie.

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 pm 
Professional Blonde

Don wrote:
That's my daughter standing next to Jemaine in the bus shelter... colour me proud.
Taika was apparently looking for an 11 year old Maori boy to play the character of Jemaine's son in the movie, but instead chose an 8 year old blonde girl with no previous acting experience. He did explain it to me, but I probably won't fully understand the depth of his genius (or madness?) until I see the movie.

Ooooo :D So cool for you and her. Sorry I don't have a bigger pic of it, but hey, its there.

Thats a nice bit of info. The plot thickens :hrm: Hope your daughter enjoyed her time making the film :)

Got any insider info for us Don :pray:

So glad you signed up to post this :) Chuffed for you both. Thanks for letting us know :thanks:

Johnnyp
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 pm 
The One Guy

8)

Deirdre
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:11 am 

Cool Don! So is she supposed to be Jarrod's daughter? Isn't he a bit young for that? How exciting for her to be in a movie at such a young age with one of the up and coming directors this year. You never know where that will lead. Good on ya both!

And now for another review. I like this one because I am one of the few who saw Napoleon Dynamite and didn't think it was that interesting. :roll: In fact, I couldn't even sit through it the first time. But after a few people on this site suggested I give it another try, I did. And though it wasn't awful, I felt like it didn't really go anywhere. The lead character was so blah that I didn't connect. So I was not invested in his success and it left me sort of bored and empty. Most of the reviews of Eagle vs Shark tell us that we will be routing for Jarrod and Lily. This one tells me what I've been wanting to hear the most, that it won't disappoint the way ND did.

"Eagle vs. Shark," is a little movie from New Zealand which is everything that "Napoleon Dynamite" failed to be in my eyes. It's a charming, funny tale of social misfits. by Becky Hodges on her blog becksday.blogspot.com

I'm looking forward to the "charming," from Jemaine and Loren. I have a feeling I won't be disappointed! :nod: 8)

Don
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:10 pm 
New arrival

Sherry wrote:

Ooooo :D So cool for you and her. Sorry I don't have a bigger pic of it, but hey, its there.

Thats a nice bit of info. The plot thickens :hrm: Hope your daughter enjoyed her time making the film :)

Got any insider info for us Don :pray:

So glad you signed up to post this :) Chuffed for you both. Thanks for letting us know :thanks:

There's a good quality copy of the picture (can be enlarged to screensaver size) in this PDF file:
<http://www.nzfilm.co.nz/downloads/nz%20film%2078.pdf>

Other issues with pictures and news of the film:
<http://www.nzfilm.co.nz/downloads/nz%20film%2076.pdf>
<http://www.nzfilm.co.nz/downloads/nz%20film%20issue%2081.pdf>

Yes, Morag enjoyed the experience very much. I wasn't working at the time so I was employed as her chaperone. I'd never heard of Taika, and only knew of Jemaine because my wife likes FOTC.

As for "insider info", it sounds like a cliche, but Morag was actually discovered in a playground. The casting agent had taken her son to play in the same playground, and noticed Morag. She asked if Morag would like to audition for a bit part. She auditioned and was accepted, then we were told that the director had seen the tape and would like her to audition for a speaking part. She learned some lines, auditioned again and was accepted. We signed the contract on a Friday and shooting started on the Monday. It's a measure of the quality of Taika's script that he was able to leave the character name the same and make only minor script changes to accomodate the gender change.

All of the people were wonderful to work with, some of the nicest people I have ever met. My wife was very apprehensive, having heard all the cliches about movie folk, and nearly didn't let her go even with me as chaperone, but by the end of it she was totally won over.

In answer to Deirdre: yes, she plays Jarrod's daughter. He's separated/divorced from his wife, who is seen only in passing as she drops Vinnie off to be with Jarrod. My interpretation of the situation was, "Your dead-beat dad's in town, you can go and stay with him and give me a break." When you see the movie, the first scene with Morag is where she greets Jarrod as he arrives at the family home. If she convincingly portrays the awkwardness of someone who's just been dropped off to stay with someone she doesn't know very well, it's because it was her very first scene before the camera, plus she'd only met Jemaine in real life a few days before and had had no opportunity to get to know him.

I see that EvS was unfortunately unplaced at Sundance, but there's still Rotterdam and Berlin. I agree about the reviews, the comparison with ND isn't too bad a thing in that more than one reviewer preferred EvS because it was warmer and more human than ND. I await the release in NZ with considerable impatience. :D

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:56 pm 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Thanks for all the info, Don. It's fun getting some of the behind the scenes info like this.

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Deirdre
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:19 pm 

Like Indy said, Thanks a bunch. :yay:

Those links were great because we hadn't seen those before. And it's inside trivia, like how Morag played the scene where she was dropped off to stay with her absentee dad, that makes me seem so "connected." :roll2:

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:25 am 
Professional Blonde

Don wrote:
There's a good quality copy of the picture (can be enlarged to screensaver size) in this PDF file:

Hehehe, got those a fair while back 8) Those PDF's have made interesting reading over the months, not only on E vs S, but other films also.

I'll reply about the rest of your post later. Work calls atm :roll:

Don
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am 
New arrival

Hi everyone

I've just found some extremely high quality images in the IFFR presskit. The majority are 8 megapixel, suitable for blowing up to poster size. Most of them are repeats of film stills you've already seen, but there is one of Jemaine on a ski slope, apparently taken at Sundance. That one's only 2 megapixel but still very good quality. Get 'em before they disappear.

-Oh, you want the URL:

http://professionals.filmfestivalrotter ... tills.aspx

You'll need to select "E", then Eagle vs Shark" from the list.

Hoyts Distribution is still quoting June as a NZ release date, in spite of Steve Gray quoting March 8th on the Good Morning programme last week. He got a few other facts wrong too, but he's enthusiastic about the movie and that's the main thing.

Regards...

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:27 am 
Professional Blonde

Don wrote:
Hi everyone

I've just found some extremely high quality images in the IFFR presskit. The majority are 8 megapixel, suitable for blowing up to poster size. Most of them are repeats of film stills you've already seen, but there is one of Jemaine on a ski slope, apparently taken at Sundance. That one's only 2 megapixel but still very good quality. Get 'em before they disappear.

Hey Don, thanks for the link.

Just to let people know, its Taika not Jemaine on the ski slope there :)

*goes back to bed* :goodnight:

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:24 am 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Aw, they should go with March 8 as the release date. It was my release date (so to speak ... my birthday), so I'm partial to it, even if I'm not in NZ. ;)

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Don
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:22 am 
New arrival

Sherry wrote:

Just to let people know, its Taika not Jemaine on the ski slope there :)

*goes back to bed* :goodnight:

Colour me red. I was up past my bedtime too. You may well be right, but it doesn't quite look right for Taika either? If it is him, the photo must have been taken immediately after arriving at Sundance. There was another director there who looks quite a lot like him...Oh well, never mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 94  Next