It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 am

Eagle vs Shark

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby Andria » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:34 am

Did anyone read in that recent NYTimes article that the reviewer called TPF a pop band? Just pop? I think they need a bit more of a description than that...maybe it's just me. :roll:

I'm tempted to buy the US release of Horsepower, just for the bonus material. That would take me up to three copies...but I'm supporting the band...right?
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Deirdre » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:37 am

Vanessa got music advice from Jemaine? :thud:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby tvldiva » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:51 am

It was easy to tell Jemaine is a fan, he sat at a table near the stage for the entire show.

and no,I didn't stare....much.... :wink:
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby Deirdre » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:29 am

I'm glad you both had a good time. :D You and Jemaine, that is...:angelic:
Deirdre

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 am

I'm tempted to buy the US release of Horsepower, just for the bonus material. That would take me up to three copies...but I'm supporting the band...right?

Oh, go on! You know you want it! I will, of course, be buying the US release (well, the latest anyway), at some point in the near future.

I will also be buying the EvS soundtrack at some point, although at the moment it only seems to be available on iTunes, and I want a hard copy if it's going to be released. It's got two Age Pryor songs!!!! (Well, the one song and one he does with Tessa Rain from the Homerecordings CD, but still...!)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Andria » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:43 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Oh, go on! You know you want it! I will, of course, be buying the US release (well, the latest anyway), at some point in the near future.

Okay, if you insist! ;)

indigo_jones wrote:I will also be buying the EvS soundtrack at some point, although at the moment it only seems to be available on iTunes, and I want a hard copy if it's going to be released.

I would like a hard copy too...I'm so old fashioned. :lol:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:34 am

I don't know...I went to the screening in a crummy mood.

I can definitely understand the Napoleon Dynamite comparisons. But I wasn't really crazy about ND - I didn't get all the hype. I tried to find "Jarrod" endearing but frankly I found the character to be annoying.

I guess I should see it again when I'm in a better mood :? .
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl

Postby Don » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 am

poptartgirl wrote:I can definitely understand the Napoleon Dynamite comparisons. But I wasn't really crazy about ND - I didn't get all the hype. I tried to find "Jarrod" endearing but frankly I found the character to be annoying.

I've not seen ND, and won't be going out of my way to. As for "Jarrod", in my opinion he's not supposed to be endearing. I think we're supposed to see bits of us in him, or bits of people we know in him. For me at least, some of the humour in the movie is the kind where you laugh nervously rather than heartily. That's not a bad thing, though.

I've been reading all the reviews I can find, mainly to see if they say anything about Morag. :D
It's interesting to note that they tend to be polarised - they either love the movie or hate it, very few reviewers dismiss it outright. I think that's a good sign - it's making people think, getting under their skin, touching those uncomfortable feelings. As I said a couple of months ago, the movie did that to me when I saw it in spite of having been there while much of it was shot. I'll be going to see it a couple more times at least, and hopefully there will eventually be a DVD. As with every movie there were quite a few unused and shortened scenes, I can always dream of a "director's cut". :rolleyes:

Regards,
Don
Don
New arrival

Postby Don » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

Don wrote:For me at least, some of the humour in the movie is the kind where you laugh nervously rather than heartily. That's not a bad thing, though.

As usual, Taika says it better than I could:
http://filmmakermagazine.com/directorin ... -shark.php

Taika says::
"... In the marketing, it's going to be presented as a comedy, and I think that's where a lot of the problems will lie. Even in the criticism of the film, people don't get that it's not pure comedy. They're confronted with real, tragic elements in the film, actual human emotions, and moments where you might have to feel something like empathy or sympathy, and they freak out and go, “Huh? This isn't funny...” When your treading that line between comedy and tragedy, there's a danger that you slip into broad comedy and make this a wacky film with oddball characters, and it's easy to make that film. On the other hand, you could also slip into a darker, more depressing film. What was really hard was finding that balance where there's so many hilarious moments but also some heartfelt moments of truth."
Don
New arrival

Postby poptartgirl » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 pm

There's a review in the June 22nd issue of Entertainment Weekly. Owen Gleiberman gave it a grade of "C-".
There's also a sidebar of "Great New Zealand Exports' which mentions Peter Jacksoin, the "Sheep" film, and FoTC.
Both items are on p.53. The cover of this issue is "The 25 Greatest Action Movies Of All Time".

-----------------------------------
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20042384,00.html

Or, Napoleon Not-So-Dynamite. Made in New Zealand, which ups the whimsical-yuk factor because of those funny accents, Eagle vs Shark is the coy and coyer comedy of a cartoon-passive geek (Loren Horsley) who falls for a cartoon-angry dork with Mick Jagger's lips. He's played by Jemaine Clement (of HBO's Flight of the Conchords), who has genuine presence but, in this film, only one note to play. Before Clement gives in to romance, he must take revenge on the bully who once beat him up. It's a tale that reduces angst, not to mention love, to a generational tic. C-

poptartgirl

Postby onewithdog » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 pm

I wish it would come to a theater by me already!
onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Here's a contest to win a pair of passes to a screening in Austin :

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... d%3A496883

poptartgirl

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:10 pm

They are giving passes out on the EvS website for Austin. The showing is for July 9 at the Arbor Regal, 730pm.

Click on Super Cool Screenings, that's on the left of the screen. Could have just been be, but it took several clicks before the link would pop up.
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby The_Elefunk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Sounds like I need to take an impromptu trip to Austin next weekend. Hmmmm. :yay:
Shush baby.
Shush.

Count down to my birthday guys: October 13!!
The_Elefunk
Giving the paper to the people

Postby j » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 am

It's playing at the Beverly Center in West Hollywood here. I am hoping to see it early next week.

The trailer looks great. If I can get past Jemaine's haircut. Haha. It sounds to me from what some of you are saying with its emotional/uncomfortable/comedy that it's somewhat reminiscent of "Little Miss Sunshine" in the way it has some deeply disturbing and heartfelt moments. Yet some bursting out funny parts. Is that the type of movie it is?

I'm just looking forward to seeing it.

Can someone tell me if the "moles" on their mouths line up and if that has something to do with how they decided they should be together? Or is that just random? Or am I just seeing things when I watch the trailer? :shock:
j
New arrival

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement