It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Eagle vs Shark

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby Ellen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:26 pm

j wrote:It's playing at the Beverly Center in West Hollywood here. I am hoping to see it early next week.

The trailer looks great. If I can get past Jemaine's haircut. Haha. It sounds to me from what some of you are saying with its emotional/uncomfortable/comedy that it's somewhat reminiscent of "Little Miss Sunshine" in the way it has some deeply disturbing and heartfelt moments. Yet some bursting out funny parts. Is that the type of movie it is?

I'm just looking forward to seeing it.

Can someone tell me if the "moles" on their mouths line up and if that has something to do with how they decided they should be together? Or is that just random? Or am I just seeing things when I watch the trailer? :shock:

I think if you had to compare Eagle vs Shark to another movie, Little Miss Sunshine would be a more appropriate choice than Napoleon Dynamite. In my mind, Eagle vs Shark is more of a coming of age comedy than a romantic one, because both Lily and Jarrod are on personal journeys dealing with their own self-conceptions, and it is only when they reach the zenith of those journeys that the potential of their shared relationship can begin to blossom.

I believe the moles do line up – Lily’s on her right and Jarrod’s on his left. (I had to consult my movie poster for this. :lol: ) Lily mentions the moles briefly if I remember correctly, but it’s not really a factor in their getting together.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the film! :D
Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby poptartgirl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:36 pm

Another Austin TX screening mention :

http://austinist.com/2007/07/09/free_eagle_vs_s.php
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby The_Elefunk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:44 am

I'm going to go see Eagle vs. Shark tonight in Dallas!
Shush baby.
Shush.

Count down to my birthday guys: October 13!!
The_Elefunk
Giving the paper to the people

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:48 am

That's great! :yay:
I went to the Austin show last night and it was packed.
So go early and enjoy!
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby The_Elefunk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:59 pm

OK. So I didn't see Eagle Vs. Shark Tuesday...

But I am for sure seeing tonight.

So if there are any WTFers out there in the Metroplex, I'm going to:

Angelika Film Center in Dallas at 1:30

5321 East Mockingbird Lane, Mockingbird Station

Hopefully I'll see you there. My pic is posted in the Here's Looking at you topic
Shush baby.
Shush.

Count down to my birthday guys: October 13!!
The_Elefunk

Postby xx_Sparky » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 am

I saw the film, Eagle vs. Shark recently and it's WORTH it. Reaaally worth it. It's sweet, truthful, and has a lovely message concerning acceptance, family, expectations, and relationships.

It made me feel a little better about life.

Don't listen to the comparisons to Napoleon Dynamite that it is getting. It's not as pointless and has more interesting characters...
What are we doing?

We're breaking it down.
xx_Sparky
New arrival

Postby homeworkwithheather » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:52 am

I'm going on Monday....we have a great theatre that shows no commercials and serves Great Lakes beer...
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"
homeworkwithheather

Postby xx_Sparky » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 am

You're going to love it so much! And I bet it will be even better with the beer....
What are we doing?

We're breaking it down.
xx_Sparky
New arrival

Postby homeworkwithheather » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:20 am

xx_Sparky wrote:You're going to love it so much! And I bet it will be even better with the beer....

yeees....everything is better with beer.
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"
homeworkwithheather

Postby xx_Sparky » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes... everything IS better with beer....
What are we doing?

We're breaking it down.
xx_Sparky
New arrival

Postby tvldiva » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:28 pm

<<ATTENTION ALL AUSTIN FANS>>

Eagle vs Shark is FINALLY opening here in Austin starting July 20. :popcorn:
So far, it is only playing at the Arbor. More could come, but I'm just happy it's here at all!
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby wanderlust » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:07 am

EvS has finally made its way to the Midwest, too. We'll be seeing it tonight in Madison. Kind of disappointed that its not showing at the Sundance cinema here in town (seeing as Sundance was instrumental in the production of it, but I suppose someone else handled the distribution)...

My NZ-born husband has been getting a lot of "You look so much like that guy from that one show" lately, too. One stranger even exclaimed, "Oohh, you even *talk* like him!"

Poor guy -since he came to the States he's been asked if he was British or "part brother." I think he might be a bit put off if someone goes on about how much he looks like Jarrod!
wanderlust
New arrival

Postby Don » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:57 am

wanderlust wrote:My NZ-born husband has been getting a lot of "You look so much like that guy from that one show" lately, too. One stranger even exclaimed, "Oohh, you even *talk* like him!"

Taika said last night that Jemaine's having to come to terms with being known - people looking at him in the street, women coming on to him in bars... :-)

EvS was used as the feature film for the sponsors' gala evening on Thursday for the Wellington International Film Festival, and took its place in the festival lineup last night. It was a sellout both times. There have also been articles in the Listener, on TV news and sundry other places.

http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3505/ar ... _love.html
There's another article this week, it'll be online in a couple of hours, I'll post the link when I see it.
Don
New arrival

Postby Sherry » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Don wrote:
Taika said last night that Jemaine's having to come to terms with being known - people looking at him in the street, women coming on to him in bars... :-)

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy. I don't think he'd be entirely comfortable with that sort of attention. Ah well, the price you pay for a TV series in the US and the 'fame' that comes with it. I resist using the word 'celebrity' as that does not sit well with me :dunno:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 pm

I was wondering if the film would be included in the Film Festival. Must check an lj-friend's blog; he goes faithfully to the festival and as he's a Phoenix Foundation fan, I'm sure he'll have gone to see EvS.

Seeing as Jemaine has become the one that people seem to be fixating on the most these days, I can imagine his life is turning a bit topsy turvy. He has my sympathy. I've always thought it would be a bit creepy to suddenly have strangers coming up to me all the time. There are days when I can barely be bothered to talk to people I know; having to make convo with strangers coming up to me -- even if you appreciate what they're saying -- could be a bit trying.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement