What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
SheWolf
 Post subject: Re: Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 pm 
Boom King!

ND is up a lot of people's alley and critics really liked that one. This perplexes me as I like to think I have a good sense of humor. :lol: Which is why I tried to watch it again and the delivery of John Heder does appeal to me. I wanted to give it another shot but I wasn't in the mood. Anyway....yeah I edited out the pretentious comment coz it doesn't exactly express what I meant. Clearly I don't know exactly what I mean. I guess in short I would just say I found the movie stupid and not funny. How's that for a review? :lol:

LauraK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:15 am 
Boom King!

I liked a lot of specific scenes....the "plot" was very basic and the characters strange. But I think that's what J&J were going for so.....:dunno: I don't know if they were supposed to be super-funny or just squirm-inducing....cuz I def felt awkward more than once. But again...maybe that's what they were going for....
Lonnie's creepy wide-mouthed-grin.....his blowing and chewing into Tabitha's ear...definitely not funny, just weird and "wtf?"

There was something about Dusty I liked...I dunno. He was a bit clueless but kind of sweet. Just something about him.

As for why Sam Rockwell stooped so low? Paycheck, baby! And I bet he didn't have to work for too many days to earn it, either.

Oh! I almost forgot! Jake and I tend to stick around after the credits after seeing Iron Man and sure enough, there was another scene at the end. Did anyone else see it?

Red
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 am 
Getting lewd with the food

Yes the last scene at the very end of the credits! It was pretty funny. Bakergirl, Funny S and I made sure to stick around for it the 2nd time we saw it as well.

jillbean
 Post subject: Re: Gentlemen Broncos - A film
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 am 
Consistently Mediocre

My husband and I went to see GB this past Saturday; I am figuring the theater was not expecting a huge turnout since they had it showing in a theater that seated about 50, maybe 60 people. Than again, it is a random theater set-up, it's not one of the major theater chains so they mainly play off-beat films and they converted one of the only "malls" in the city into theaters on the top 2.5 floors so nothing could really be very big I guess. For anyone familiar with the area, it is the Century Mall in Chicago on Clark St; black and white, ramps instead of stairs and partially glassed-in elevators. Hey, it was cool in the late 80's (when there was even an arcade in the lower level).

Anyhow, my husband laughed out loud several times and, being the sci-fi geek he is, loved the way that GB managed to convey just how bizarre a world the sci-fi one is to anyone looking in on it. So far as Jemaine...I was a little bummed, I feel like we got to see all of his bits in the trailer (and let me clarify; his ACTING bits. You all know who you are! :lol: ).

Overall, it was entertaining. Weird, sometimes gross, fairly random but entertaining.

vmh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

LauraK wrote:
Oh! I almost forgot! Jake and I tend to stick around after the credits after seeing Iron Man and sure enough, there was another scene at the end. Did anyone else see it?[/spoiler]

No, I didn't see it. I was too busy rushing out of the theatre to see if Jemaine had stuck around the Arclight. But it'll probably be on the DVD, right?

bakergirl30
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:13 pm 
Crying tears of a rapper

Im sure it will be Vmh. It was at the pretty much at the end of the credits. :)

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 pm 
Boom King!

It should be noted that the extra scene does not include Jem. I was looking forward to it coz I assumed he was in it.

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:07 pm 
---

:lol:

DaMango
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:57 pm 
Stop touching the monkeys

I finally saw the film last night. It premiered in Seattle a week ago, but I was having some issues with my eyes, so it would have been a bit wasteful to go then. Thankfully my eyes are much better now, so I could see Jemaine in all of his big-screen glory! I must be honest, out of Jared Hess' 3 films, this one left me with the worst first impression. I didn't dislike it completely, but I didn't like it as much as his other films. (Just in case you cared, Napoleon Dynamite made me sad upon first viewing, because I knew WAY too many people like him when I was growing up. I eventually grew to love it, and saw it in theatres 6 times in 2004. I know it's not everyone's cup'o'tea, but I laugh hysterically every time I watch Nacho Libre. Jack Black is a comedic genius, and I feel that his singing voice and eyes brows deserve an award.)

So anyways, Gentlemen Broncos... I'll start with the elements that I enjoyed. Michael and Jennifer were wonderful as mother and son. Their dynamic may have been strange and a bit frightening, but overall, they were a pretty awesome team. My boyfriend was home schooled growing up, and he said he's seen many a home school mom who was just like Jennifer. I'm not sure whether that should make me laugh or cry. :lol: Benjamin was always respectful of his mom, no matter what crazy scheme she had up her sleeve, which was very sweet (and believable). I actually enjoyed watching the Lonnie character. I found the character himself to be pretty repulsive, BUT he is the same actor who played Jack Black's sidekick in Nacho Libre, so I enjoyed seeing them utilize his, um, unique facial features once again. Oddly enough, he looked better in Nacho Libre, and he was a half-naked hobo in that movie. LOL! Let's face it, Lonnie and Tabitha were wretched, wretched people, but they were a necessary evil. Dusty was disturbing, but I agree with Laura, there was something endearing about him. I just love Mike White. AND of course...there was that Chevalier guy, with his blue tooth, 80's clothes, and delightfully hairy chest! (I grinned a bit too much when the chest hair appeared, and my boyfriend covered my eyes. Jerk.) Like CJ, I was disappointed that we'd already heard his best lines in the trailer, but he was enjoyable nonetheless. I really disliked Chevalier, so Jemaine did a good job in creating a real douche bag of a character. It was apparent that Dr. C was meant to be a smaller part, as it was really Benjamin's story. I was disappointed that they didn't develop Dr. C's character a little more in the movie. I felt that we learned more about him in those little YouTube videos about relaxating and inspiring oneself, than in the movie itself. I guess it's silly to ask that they focus on Jemaine just for the sake of focusing on Jemaine, but hey, it would have been nice.

What I disliked most about the movie is that I felt they tried to cram way too much into too short a film. There were so many little side plots and characters that didn't really get much development. Jared's other movies were sort of the opposite. Those movies had few characters, and virtually no plot, so they had plenty of time to explore their nuances and inadequacies. Gentlemen Broncos didn't flow well for me, and felt disjunct and clumsy, particularly in the first half. The last half was better, especially after Benji grew a pair, and started taking charge of his life. The sci fi sequences weren't that interesting to me, except for maybe the "Oh my holy crap" part, but we'd already seen that in the trailer. I thought the "friendship stone" was kind of funny, but other than that, Benji's original story was a real stinker. LOL! Sorry kid. I'm sure they meant for it to be bad, since this movie as all about exploiting bad sci fi, but it wasn't bad enough to be "so bad it's good". It was just bad. I hope that makes sense. :? I didn't appreciate the gross out bits, and the vomit-kiss was just dumb. I thought Michael did a good job of looking genuinely sick, with the tears and everything. Seriously, his performance kept this film from being a total train wreck.

I guess it sounds like I didn't like the movie, but I kind of did like it. I just didn't love it. Not by a long shot. I was in kind of a bad mood when we headed out to the theatre, so maybe I would have like it better had I not been such a grump last night. I'm sure I'll see it again, although I may wait until in comes out on DVD. I actually missed about 5 minutes of the film, because I had to go to the ladies room half way through. I was tempted just to hold it until he end, but that would have made it a pretty miserable 45 minutes. My BF said that I just missed Benjamin selling his story to Tabitha and Lonnie, so I didn't miss any Jemaine. Another thing I liked about the movie was the soundtrack. The songs were very appropriate, and helped move the action along. Anyway, I'm going to stop rambling about this. I don't really have much more to add. I'm not sure if I would recommend this movie to my non-Conchord fan friends, because I don't think they'd like the movie enough without having an appreciation for Jemaine. If he weren't in it, I would have enjoyed the movie far less.

What about you guys? Would you recommend this movie to friends and family?

BTW, we did stay until after the credits, because I figured there would be some sort of extra nugget at the end. The added scene made me laugh, so I'm glad I stayed.

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:09 pm 
---

I wouldnt recommend it to a non Jemaine fan or a non Jared Hess fan....I was going to see it again in the theater, but I lacked motivation to drive 20 minutes...besides, the best parts are on the interwebs...except for that "teacup" part....that was genius! :D

LauraK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:25 pm 
Boom King!

Oh, no way would I recommend it to friends/family! I know they'd hate it.

I still plan to buy it when it gets its DVD release. :)

DaMango
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 pm 
Stop touching the monkeys

Hmm... I want this movie to make more than $500 at the box office, but I don't want to recommend it to friends who will surely hate it, then be upset at me for recommending it. This is dilemma... :hrm:

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm 
Can Attack!

Aw, man. The Rotten Tomatoes show in its parodies "Year-endies" award show had Gentleman Broncos on its list of things that passed on in 2009. Of course, they only had the Jemaine clips. :D

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 am 
Boom King!

Aw, stuff you, Rotten Tomatoes!

And stuff you again for using the Jemaine clips for that!

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:23 pm 
Can Attack!

Hey, they were disappointed by both the movie, but also the fact that it was pulled out of theatres before anyone had a chance to see it. One of the hosts liked it, the other one not so much.

The best part of about it was that they used Jemaine's "seize them!" scene. LOL!

I am bike-cheese!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next