It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please

Postby Sherry » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 pm

OK so thought rather than have people discussing their film viewing of GB in the ongoing thread and it being buried on page 55 or some such, I'd start a new one solely for film discussion.

So post away in here all your reviews, thoughts and chatter. And as more people get to see it, they can add their bit as and when.

Please remember to use SPOILER TAGS in this thread. At least till one of the mods gives the ok to stop using them. Some people do like to browse these sorts of discussions but don't want to be totally spoilerified, so be considerate of those who have yet to see it but want to join in with your excitement and reply to posts or lurk.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please

Postby tvldiva » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:18 pm

I thought the movie was a sweet and funny film with a sad thread through out. Movies like this ride a very thin line for me when it comes to they way it portrays people. Some times it works, sometime it doesn't. Either way, it makes me feel strangely uncomfortable. I don't know, it's hard to explain.

The cast was actually very good, Jennifer Coolidge was wonderful as the mother. She is the prime example of his boarderline characters. Her character was so sad and hurting, I just wanted to get her help. Anyway, her son, played by Michael Angarano, was wonderful. As for Jemaine, I thought his character was brilliant. He played this man so perfectly and has the great subtlety to pull off his obnoxious and awkward personallity. If you go to see this movie for Jemaine, you won't be disapointed.

I think for those who liked Napoleon Dynamite, they will totally love and appreciate this movie. I'm kinda on the fence right now about it. Maybe after I mull it over a while, I will change my mind.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Here's a review from yesterday: http://www.cinematical.com/2009/09/25/g ... os-review/

Including a really wonderful quote about Jemaine. Tvldiva, I guess you aren't alone in saying Jemaine won't disappoint.
And then of course we have the great Jemaine Clement, the "Flight of the Conchords" star who radiates humor as if he was born on Planet Joketropa and our yellow sun gives him the power of perpetual laughs. That man could read my parents' obituaries and I'd still find everything he does hysterical.

It's no surprise, then, that his delivery of the dreadfully untalented sci-fantasy writer Dr. Ronald Chevalier is easily the best part of the film. It's no small accolade to say that his performance makes up for the other woefully grating characters in orbit of Angarano's Benjamin, but even his powers of comedic persuasion are not enough to convince the audience Gentlemen Broncos is as funny as Hess thinks it is. It's unclear whether or not he's attempting to satirize bad fantasy novels and writers or whether he thinks they're actually funny because of how bad they are, but either way his attempt to make them relevant to the story at large falls short of any lasting humor.
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby mockingbird » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:29 am

Interesting. Nice to hear Jemaine is good in it. I'm curious about the rest. Actually I wasn't a big fan of Napoleon Dynamite but I reserve total judgement on it because I don't think I gave it a fair chance - I was tired and only half paying attention.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Comments and review from Smells Like Screen Spirit :

http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2009/ ... est-2009/#
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:10 pm

I thought that this little video of Sam Rockwell interviewing Jerusha Hess was viry cute & funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxX8dKbTPqA
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby Faith » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:37 am

Found another review: http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-9-2 ... l-activity

The performances are solid enough from all the cast, but there is no doubt that Jemaine Clement ("Flight of the Conchords") is the show stealer here. He plays Chevalier, the science fiction writer that preys upon the easily impressed populations of micro town America to keep his ego tank fueled. He’s worshiped by Michael Angarano’s character Benjamin, who is a young burgeoning science fiction writer himself off to be taught by his hero at a writer’s camp for home schooled children.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 am

Here's a video review (the video is a little bit down on the page) of the movie. Not a GREAT review, but they had some good things to say about Dr. Chevalier (one part at about 2:30-2:40 in, 6:30-6:40, 9:00-9:20)

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/25/fan ... n-broncos/
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SheWolf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 pm

I will be going into it with no hopes. I didn't care for either of Hess' previous 2 films and am not a fan of what I consider the completely played out "quirky" (a word I hate) genre of films. I made the exception for EVS but only slightly and only because of Jemaine. This time J will, at least, be playing a different sort of character & I look forward to seeing him.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby vmh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm not good at writing reviews so I'll just share a few of my thoughts about the film, as requested.

I thought Jemaine did an excellent job at playing Chevalier. It makes me really excited to see where else he might go with his acting career. In fact, I think the whole cast did a great job. I'm not a follower of Jared Hess's work but I have seen Napoleon Dynamite. I think one of Hess's strengths is creating odd, idiosyncratic characters for his films. Like Jennifer Coolidge with her popcorn balls and crazy designs. :lol: I know some of these characters are based on people Jared and Jerusha have met in real life. Some of the characters are just so out there yet there's a familiar trait to each one. The gross out humor was a bit much though. I don't really get it. I didn't really want to see/hear Bronco sewing his gonads back on with a needle and thread or a snake with diarrhea. I guess Hess is just an eleven year old boy at heart. To be honest, I wouldn't have seen this movie if Jemaine wasn't in it. I didn't care for the story that much. But because I enjoyed watching the characters in the movie, I'm going to show leniency. Always leniency.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 am

Way to use that quote! :thumb:

I liked your review...I think it's probably how I'll feel about it, but like you I'm seeing it for Jemaine. I never saw ND, bits and pieces on tv is all.
:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Jinnerz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 am

I can't wait to see this film. I like really odd films so I'm pretty sure I won't be let down. And from the looks of the trailer, Jemaine's character Chevalier is just awesome - gotta love ego and betrayal.
Oh, We'd just grab a sandwich and put it in our mouths. That's the only way to have sandwiches.
Oh Jenny, tell me do you still walk? Do you still get into sandwiches in a big way?
Jinnerz
New arrival

Postby Red » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:55 am

That's kind of how I felt, vmh. I think Jared Hess writes really strong characters and then finds amazing actors who totally bring them to life, but the stories he puts these awesome characters/actors in isn't always up to par. I didn't mind the gross out humor although some of it was way out of left field and goodness knows my husband loved it. I liked the movie enough to see it again but I probably wouldn't pay to see it twice if Jemaine wasn't in it. He really is brilliant as Chevalier.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LauraK » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:04 am

Does anyone think Jemaine being so well-received in this and his Chevalier getting so much online attention will prompt- maybe not a sequel- but possibly a Chevalier movie from Jered Hess? :hrm:
Not having seen it, I'm just wondering out loud...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 am

Im really looking forward to seeing it again. Jemaine is brilliant & so funny.

Michael Arguano's vulnerable portrayal of home schooled akward teen Benjamin reveals many endearing moments in the movie. He is tied to moms hip because they only have each other. Jennifer Coolidge is really sweet as the mom, she is also delusional. Dont you know at least one person who is just totally living in their own little creation of the world around them; happy & snug as a bug in a rug. Making juicy everyday rationalizations, ha! Jennifer Coolidge is trying to provide for her son in the selfless way that all moms do. Even the last cent she has will be spent to send Benjamin to writer's camp so that he can fulfill a dream. This mother/son duo is the heart of the movie for me. Throughout the movie Michael Arguano's Benjamin has to deal with teen angst, a love interest who is a 'user', his super-hero Dr. Chevalier who steals his story idea, and perhaps sharing his mom with a new man [well maybe he isnt too upset about that more like puzzled]. He takes on a lot with the role of Benjamin & imho does a really great job. You squirm in your chair feeling uncomfortable for him, sad for him. You also laugh your arse off at his facial expressions, they are epic.

I am not a fan of Jared Hess movies, didn't care for his last 2 box office hits Napolean Dynamite & Nacho Libre, but I saw something in this movie that had promise. I believe that I may just keep an eye on Jared Hess. By the way, he is a really nice guy, really genuine in peson.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Next

Return to Jemaine Clement