What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next
Red
 Post subject: Re: Jemaine's latest project 'Dinner for Schmucks'
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting lewd with the food

Ami wrote:
About Jemaine from someone who's seen the film:

Quote:
He has a pretty big role in it, but its nothing like his character in flight of the chonchords. ...
source

:D :D :D

This is very exciting (and a relief since he's absent from the trailer). Thanks for posting it Ami! :thumb:

vmh
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:24 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

Here's a report from someone who attended the first test screening. Overall, it's not good but he/she did say:

Quote:
Jermaine and Zach Galifinakis play limited but very funny characters and outshine the other actors.

Source

:yay:

Now, how do I get in on this advance screening stuff...SONY?!

Last edited by vmh on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kipples
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:29 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Well that sounds promising for Jemaine :D

Shame about the opinion of Paul Rudds and Steve Carells characters. :(

Thanks for posting vmh

Aimee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

Well, I guess I will reserve my opinion till I see the movie. But I'm really glad that Jemaine is getting so much recognition for his talent despite the smaller roles :cheer:

LauraK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:50 pm 
Boom King!

It is just the early cut and this was just 1 person's opinion.....which is how I try to look at reviews when a movie's first released anyway. :) If it's something I want to see, I'll see it despite bad reviews.

I wonder which person Jemaine's playing? Creepy ventriloquist? Bird Caller? Blind Fencer? :D

vmh
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

Okay, I just subscribed to email lists for Paramount and Dreamworks. Maybe they'll offer an advance screening in a month or two. :pray:

LauraK wrote:
I wonder which person Jemaine's playing? Creepy ventriloquist? Bird Caller? Blind Fencer? :D

My guess is none of the above. Based on what I've heard about this movie, those characters all sound like the dinner guests/entertainment.

On the IMDB page, these are the actors playing those characters.

Chris O'Dowd ... Marco Blind Swordsman
Jeff Dunham ... Lewis Ventriloquist
Octavia Spencer ... Nora Pet Psychic

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:09 pm 
Boom King!

If he's playing the character I think he is from the French version he is not a member of the party. And I do think he's playing the character I think he's playing based on what the director said, that by explaining his character it would give something of the film away.

Aimee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:28 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

Cool! Exciting!

SW your avatar is really cute!

LauraK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:41 pm 
Boom King!

Does the director talk about it in the video? I guess I should watch that. :P

Ooo, I also missed that Jeff Dunham is in it! 8)

vmh
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:46 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

What video are you talking about?

Venus
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Yeah the inital reaction to the test screening doesn't seem to be too good but at least people seem to have enjoyed watching Jemaine's character judging by the comments:

Quote:
I saw a test screening last Tuesday in Moorpark, CA and I thought the same thing. The one thing I disagree with is that Jermaine plays a limited character. Out of all of the supporting cast, I felt his character was used a great deal more than someone such as Livingston's character. I personally loved Jermaine's character and thought his performance was more enjoyable than anyone else's.

Quote:
I saw a test screening last week and the movie was not funny. Paul Rudd wasn't his normal sarcastic character and nothing like his "i love you, man" character. zach galifianakis had 2 scenes, both were the best of the movie. There weren't many parts that were actually funny, just over the top in a bad way. Jermaine's character was pretty funny. I was in the focus group after the film and most of the viewers did not like the film

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:37 pm 
Boom King!

At the bottom by Venus' smiley face, it's just a short 2 min interview....and since I finally watched it, no- he doesn't say it there. He only mentions J at the very end.

What did I miss, SW? Where did he talk about Jemaine? Or was it near the beginning of this thread, lol? My mind lets go of things sometimes. :P

Venus wrote:
Quote:
Apr 7 2010 6:31 PM EDT
'Dinner For Schmucks' Director Says Stars Are 'Brilliant Improvisers'
'I feel extremely lucky to get to work with them,' Jay Roach says of Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and more.
By Larry Carroll

Jay Roach

Photo: MTV News

LAS VEGAS — At this very moment, it's hard to find a hotter trailer on the Web than the one promoting "Dinner for Schmucks," an offbeat comedy starring Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and Zach Galifianakis that is quickly rocketing up the ranks of must-see summer films. Lucky for us all, then, that we recently caught up with the film's director Jay Roach — who is ccertainly no schmuck when it comes to comedy.

"Steve Carell and Paul Rudd are very funny guys; I feel extremely lucky to get to work with them," grinned Roach, the hugely successful filmmaker behind the "Meet the Parents" and "Austin Powers" franchises. "They're brilliant improvisers — we all know that from 'Anchorman.' "

A loose remake of the 1998 French comedy "Le Diner de Cons," the July 23 film casts Rudd in the familiar role of the straight man, but bumps Carell to a level of sublime character silliness we haven't seen since the heyday of Brick Tamland.

"Paul plays a character who gets a job, and the initiation into that job [if he wants] the promotion is that he is supposed to bring a special person, a guest, to dinner," Roach explained of the concept, which has other guests bringing eccentric ventriloquists, mind-readers and such to break bread for their amusement. "The guests don't realize that they're being made fun of until afterwards."

Ultimately, the film goes beyond its laughs to make us explore our desire to be successful — and fear that such success could turn us into, well, jerks. "It's a weird little convent of rich guys who do this weird dinner," Roach said of the meal for morons. "Steve Carrell, who is a guest, turns [Rudd's] life upside-down and turns the dinner upside-down in a very funny way."

Asked for his favorite improvised scene of spontaneity, Roach pointed to a moment glimpsed in the new trailer. "There's a scene at the end when they face off against Zach Galifianakis — Steve Carrell works for Zach, and Zach has stolen his wife," the director explained. "Zach believes he has mind control.

"So he gets Steve Carell in a trance — which of course only works because Steve Carell believes he's in a trance — and those three guys improvising off of each other was electric," Roach said of the film's comedic climax. "There are about another dozen off-center characters around the table too, including a vulture trainer and a guy with a giant beard — it literally has swirls, he's a beard-competition guy. [There's also] a lady who talks to dead pets, and Jeff Dunham, the great ventriloquist, [plays a man] with a wife who is a puppet who's constantly trashing him.

"I love it when the secondary characters come in and stir the pot in a new way, partway through the movie," he added. "Jemaine Clement is in it too, from 'Flight of the Conchords,' and he's fantastic ... it's a table full of interesting, off-center people."

Source (click to also see a video of Jay Roach talking about this)
:)

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 pm 
Boom King!

LauraK wrote:
What did I miss, SW? Where did he talk about Jemaine?
You're asking me? You know I'm Miss Short Attention Span, I don't even read those links to reviews 99% of the time. :oops: :lol: But I could have sworn I read something somewhere here that someone from the film (I thought it was the director) mentioned that he couldn't talk much about Jemaine's role without giving some plot points away. Then again I could have made that up. :P

SuzyBatt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 pm 
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

SW, maybe this is what you were thinking of?
Ami wrote:
About Jemaine from someone who's seen the film:

Quote:
He has a pretty big role in it, but its nothing like his character in flight of the chonchords. ...
source

:D :D :D

When you click on the link, he adds...
Quote:
i dont wanna spoil anything though because when i saw it, i didnt know anything about what it was about other than that steve cerall, paul rudd, and zach galifinakis are in it, and im glad i didnt because it would have spoiled alot for me.

Not exactly what you said, but close enough ;)

funny schipperke
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:13 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

I thought we had established that Jemaine was playing the boss of Paul Rudd's girlfriend... or was that just speculation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next