It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Dinner for Schmucks- Discuss the film here - spoilers!

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: Nancy

Re: Dinner for Schmucks- Discuss the film here - spoilers!

Postby Aimee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:20 pm

4everconchordsfan wrote: Sorry to say that I never felt any on screen chemisty between Tim & Julie. Their scenes together didn't convince me that they were a couple in love. So I didn't care much about their relationship. Paul Rudd was convincing as a guy who loved her and wanted her back. Since Tim was breaking his morals (wrongfully inviting Barry to this dinner) to win over Julie by getting this job advancement it would have been nice to believe that they were a couple.

I have to agree with you on this point 4ever. I didn't really feel a connection between them. Maybe that is why I was kind of hoping that Julie would maybe fall for Kieran a little bit just to make it more interesting (and give J a few more scenes :whistle: ).
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Well, my husband and I saw this movie yesterday and two out of two of us loved it! For once, a movie that's being promoted as being funny actually is funny. Just want to say that Jemaine/Keiran was present and focused on much more than I thought he would be - and very large on the big screen!! :wink: What a very pleasant surprise when, hey, there he was again! It's no bit part by any means. He's very excellent and hilarious, naturally; everyone in it actually is quite well-cast, we thought. And, I thought I caught some slight shades of Jarrod in Keiran at times...maybe it was his animal magnetism and/or choice of head-wear. :lol:
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 pm

So I finally saw this film and I really enjoyed it! I agree that Jemaine doesn't overplay his role yet easily turns out to be a true scene stealer. And woah, I loved each and every scene he was in from the bongo playing, to the feathers and the goat outfit. :lol: The wardrobe department did a wonderful job! I now know why everyone is quoting the way his "animal magnetism" comes across on screen. ;) And what a pleasure it was to see Jemaine on the big screen! :D He looked so good from head to toe! :heart: He had some classic one-liners too and certainly did us proud! Unsurprisingly, I wanted to see him in more scenes but I'm so glad he played quite a major role in this film. Oh and I agree DaMango, was also struck by Paul Rudd's eyes and Stephanie is a very cute lady. I have to agree with the lack of chemistry between her and Paul which some of you have mentioned although the actual storyline about their relationship and Barry's previous relationship with Martha was touching. Barry and Tim's friendship came across well, particularly towards the end when it was really genuine. Even though Barry was a 'tornado of destruction', he was a likeable character so I think Steve played him well.

I did find Barry & Therman's storyline about Martha quite funny (there were quite a few sexual references which made me wonder whether it should be classified as a 12A/PG-13) but yeah some sequences did drag like Therman's mind control even though Zach did play that character well. Darla was a complete psycho and quite funny but again, I thought some of her scenes dragged on a little bit too. Some scenes were way over the top and weren't as funny as they could have been but there were some classic scenes, particularly at the dinner (lol at the lady talking to the lobster :lol:) and when everything backfired!

I also really liked the mouse dioramas and thought they were a brilliant and clever addition to the film so major kudos to Struck/Axiom who were also involved in creating Kieran's masterpieces and anyone else involved in putting that together! :D

"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not..." :roll2: and of course a wise man once said, "Everything happens for a reason". ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Venus, it's always fun to hear your review of a show/movie, and this time is no exception. I'm so glad you had the chance to see it. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:12 am

Aww, thanks Nancy! My reviews always turn out longer than I anticipate them to be. :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 am

HBO just ran an ad saying Dinner For Schmucks premieres on Saturday, July 23. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Previous

Return to Jemaine Clement