It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:04 am

Theme: Halloween!

Share a kebab or a cab. Pull your sexy dance moves or sing about your day. Wear your beard scruffy or your chops huge. Bretero or Jemainiac, we're mixing it all up here. Also Your Stuff now incorporated here.

Moderators: Nancy, Venus

Theme: Halloween!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 am

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's
sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth
boil and bubble.
- - -William Shakespeare (a quote from "Macbeth")

"Being in a band you can wear whatever you want - it's like an excuse for Halloween everyday."
- - -Gwen Stefani

A place to post anything and everything that scares or thrills you about Halloween. Photos, memories...Do you dress up?...what you plan to be this year, your favorite costume ever, recipes etc. Do you go all out? Terrify the neighborhood kiddies? Best/worst jokes...and of course anything even vaguely Conchord related is most welcome! (real or imagined) :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Theme: Halloween!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 am

Around here (midwest US) on Trick or Treat night, the kids are expected to tell a joke or riddle before having a handful of candy tossed into their bag. My daughter told me this joke today...

"I've decided to start a band called The Missing Cat."
"Oh really?"
"You probably saw our posters." :D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby biscuit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:07 am

Hahahaha:) What a cute joke! :lol:

I can't wait for Halloween to come round:) I love it!

It is a quite new tradition in Norway but seeing as I've always had some form of connection to the US (friends and cousins living there) I've been celebrating Halloween ever since I was a kid. The first few years we never got much out of our trick or treating. Most people had no idea why a bunch of ghosts and vampires turned up on their doorstep pestering them for sweets :lol: This one American lady almost started crying for joy when we came knocking though. She was so upset that she hadn't any sweets to give away but she raided her cupboards for biscuits and even gave us some money :D We didn't mind that at all :)

In the recent years it has become really popular but unfortunately the focus is much more on the gorey aspects up here. In some areas older kids seem to treat Halloween as an excuse to get away with all sorts of mischief. Luckily that isn't the case where I live. We seem to have an understanding that if people put out the front door lights they don't wish to parttake of the tradition and we walk on by. Most of the kids are dressed as ghouls, witches and monsters but act like polite little angels :lol:

I'm still crazy for dressing up and can't wait to turn my house into a witches house :) We usually have people over and we have spag bol for dinner, or worms and what ever was left of the postman as I like to call it. I actually made a little girl cry one year too :roll: I had to reassure her that it was really just regular sauce and that the postman was still very much alive :lol:

And of ourse watching Nightmare Before Christmas is obligatory!

This year Christi tells me that she wants to dress up as a character from an Agatha Christie novel :) I think she has her heart set on Poirot, and she wants Nic to be Mrs Marple :lol: Maybe we'll all go for the idea and turn this place into a crime ridden 1930s British mansion :D I'll be the butler waiting in the library with a candlestick :twisted:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby LauraK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 am

Jake's excited to go out this year since he's now addicted to Spy vs Spy. He's planning to be the black spy. :-)

He usually gets embarrassed if I dress up so I skipped it last year...which makes me want to do it all the more this year! He's never been as into Halloween as I've been....plus he's not a fan of most candy. He likes Hershey bars and bags of chips in his bag!

Some of my favorite memories are from Halloween as a kid- the feeling of freedom running around with my friends in the dark, getting as much candy as possible into our pillow cases, hitting the church party and haunted house- which wasn't scary, but we thought was cool anyway, the smell of the candy inside that pillowcase after a couple of days. There's no smell quite like it. :)

My fave costume was when I did myself up as a zombie:

ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:35 am

:shock: :D Freaky! Wow, a pillow case would hold a LOT of candy! :clap: My favorite bit was the sorting and trading at the end of the night. Mom had to inspect everything for razor blades ( :lol: ) then we would catagorize everything and start the intense negotiations. Damn the stuff I would have to give up to get extra butterfingers. There was a dentist on our street that always gave out an apple and a toothbrush. :? But we never missed his house. :lol: Last year a lot of folks just put a bowl of candy on the front porch with a note that said, "Take two! Happy Halloween!" or something like that. Spy vs Spy! Awesome! 8)

I knew you would be twisted, biscuit. Making little girls cry, serving up postman remains for din din. :lol: But um your kids costumes are a bit obscure. :geek: I must see Mrs. Marple if it happens. :lol: Is that the norm in Norway? We have about equal parts homemade and store bought costumes come by the house. I love the story about the American lady. Awwwww.

I have to buy candy that I don't care for...so I won't eat it all before the kiddo's stop by. :worry: There are some shenanigins around here too. Mostly just smashing pumpkins and egging cars. :x

Frankenstein in his younger years...when he let his hair grow a bit and before the contacts.

One year my friend and I dressed up as Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World for a costume party. (theme: Saturday Night Live) I'll try to find the pic. People thought my hair was a wig. I made a fine Garth. :) We didn't win though. A guy came dressed as Will Farrell, "We need more cowbell." Remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsUf_oIgp0 :roll2:

Scariest movie? :hrm:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby mockingbird » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:38 am

I've never seen zombie Bret and Jemaine before! :o What is it from nonch and do you have it bigger??
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:40 am

Isn't that cool! It is a poster from the '08 Tour I believe. That's what it looks like when you shut off the lights. :shock: :thumb: I don't have it bigger.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby mockingbird » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:05 am

That's so cool. What does it look like with the lights on? :hrm:

Here are some pictures of Jemaine terrorizing people.

Oh no Jemzilla! :eek:
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 am

Haahahahahahaha! Those two pics together are priceless! Might not be a bad way to go.... nom nom nom nom

I think this one??? :dunno:

Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:34 am

I've always loved Halloween. I was a kid back in the old days when we used to burn some cork and rub it on our faces to look like an unshaven "bum".
Nonch, your idea of buying candy I don't like to give out is a good one - I may give it a try this year.
We live in an area that has a few vacation houses, so many are dark on Halloween. If we're going to be home, we put the porch light on until 8pm. After that, the big kids come around, and I get nervous. They've always been pretty good as long as the lights are off.

Nonch, I sent you a pic of Amy dressed up as Garth I have on Facebook that I was having trouble retrieving. I hope maybe you can post it.

For many years, I dressed as the Ghost of the Red Sox - wearing a Red Sox team shirt with ghoul makeup, and the little ones were scared at first, but then I gave them Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and they went away happy. Then the Sox won the World Series, so I stopped dressing up. I may go back to it this year, after such a sad season. :tears:
When I had my own house, I decorated like crazy. We had a bit of land along the side of the house where we put our "graveyard". We painted wood squares grey to look like gravestones, then painted funny names on all the markers, like Diane DeMeecha, and pounded them in the ground. Hee hee, I hadn't thought about that for a long time!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:40 pm

"Diane DeMeecha" lol.

So I hopped on Facebook (something I rarely do) and saw a lot of people that I really miss. :( I can't figure that place out, :rolleyes: but I did get your photograph, Nancy. Thanks and here it is...

She looks great! Even wearing the authentic hat! :clap:

Laura! So how in the world did Jake get interested in Spy vs Spy? Is the comic strip still around? I remember my dad loved them and had a book or something. I've never seen it anywhere else except maybe Mad Magazine? :hrm: You must post a pic of his costume. I imagine you are making it?

I love scary movies. Some don't really frighten me, but are so thrilling and suspenseful that I'm exhausted at the end, but some are truly terrifying. Like, I don't know if I would watch them alone.... :shock: ... The one that comes to mind first is The Ring. *shudders*

I wanna do bad things to you. :horny: I know it's so over done right now, but I love vampires. Always have. Didn't that recent vampire spoof movie steal the title of Jemaine and Taika's vamp flick? I can't remember either verbatim, but "Vampires Suck" or something.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 am

Yay! Thanks, nonch. I love that shot of Amy as a kid - so cute.
I think I figured out what was wrong: some old pics from my old laptop were on FB (like the shot above of Amy as Garth), but they weren't in my new Windows Photo Gallery, so I couldn't upload them.

Films that scare me? "Halloween" - that incessant music was enough, plus some of the scenes of Michael were truly frightening, like when he's lying supposedly dead in the bedroom and Jamie Lee Curtis is in the foreground, and he suddenly sits up. And when he sticks the guy up on the wall and steps back to admire his work. Aaaggghhh!
An old one - "The Fury" haunted me for days after seeing it in the movie theater. I had "Fury"-mares after that one.
"The Ring" - when she crawls through the TV screen, I lose it.

I'm becoming more chicken as I age - if it's on HBO, I get nervous seeing it at night alone, unless I know all the scary parts beforehand. :worry: :sofa:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 am

Oh my God, I just realized amy's wearing one of my Dad's old shirts in that photo. :(
He loved Halloween - he used to put on goofy hats or wigs. I miss him, but the memories are good.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby mockingbird » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:57 am

Nancy - :( :hug:

The Ring was a really freaking scary movie. :shock: For like a week after I saw it, every time the phone rang I got the heebie jeebies, lol. YES that scene at the end when she crawls out of the TV is just awful. :sofa: In fact I'm getting freaked out right now just thinking about it.

The first Evil Dead movie was pretty scary. They got really campy after that but the first one was actually scary in addition to being campy.

Do you guys remember The Fog? I think it was a John Carpenter movie. Zombies freak me out. I remember I was about 14 and I got home late from my summer job so everyone was in bed, it was probably 11:30 or so. I turned on the TV and The Fog was starting. I watched about 10 minutes of that movie and then I turned it off and went to bed with the light on, lol. ;) I saw the whole movie about 5 years later and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be but it was decent.

Discussion question: Which do you like better, the original Night of the Living Dead or the remake?
mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:I think this one??? :dunno:

OK, I think I've seen that before. I had no idea it glowed in the dark. I'm not so familiar with the 2008 posters, is there a gallery of them somewhere?

To get back OT:

Remember we made a bunch of these posters last year? Hee hee! ;)
mockingbird

Next

Return to Fun & Games & Bret & Jemaine