It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:24 am

An old radio show and a question for everyone

Share a kebab or a cab. Pull your sexy dance moves or sing about your day. Wear your beard scruffy or your chops huge. Bretero or Jemainiac, we're mixing it all up here. Also Your Stuff now incorporated here.

Moderators: Nancy, SuzyBatt, Venus

An old radio show and a question for everyone

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:25 pm

I recently asked emira about the origins of her signature and she was kind enough to direct me to this link:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/progr ... y/20080216

It's a radio show Jemaine did a few years back - Oscar Kightley is the guest host, and Jemaine was supposed to pick some songs that have special meaning for him and they were supposed to discuss them but of course being Jemaine, Oscar had his work cut out for him in that regard, lol. It's still a really cute and funny show. I'm sure some of you have already heard it but it was new to me. The only problem is that, in the archived show, they didn't keep the actual songs! What's up with that? ;) So I took the liberty of assembling them on a playlist on Grooveshark. :thumb: Unfortunately the only way I know of directing you all to it is very awkward, lol. I'm sure there is a better way but I can't figure it out, so for now go to:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Then type mockingbird42 in the "search for music" box. A message will come up saying there's no such song, but then look at the tabs up at the top left and you'll see one that says "people". Click on that and enter mockingbird42 again, and my account will come up. Click on my name, and then click on "playlists", then click "playlist 3". You could keep it open in a separate tab as you listen to the interview and then play each song as it comes up and it would be just like you were there, lol. ;) The only one missing is the Front Lawn song, due to some hideous oversight it's not on Grooveshark. So you have to listen to that one on YouTube, link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBK86h6FDw

Was that complicated enough for you guys? :roll: It's worth it though, I had never heard that Herman Dune song or the Front Lawn song and I love them both. :thumb:

Also, I thought it might be cool if we all made up our own lists of songs that have special meaning for us. They played six songs on the show so think of six songs. Not your favorite songs necessarily, but songs that have meaning for you for whatever reason. I'd like to hear your reasons but you don't have to tell us if you don't want to. I'm still thinking of my six, I'll post them when I figure it out.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: An old radio show and a question for everyone

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm

:lalala: Listening to the music now. Thanks mockingbird42! I can't listen to the interview first...is that going to ruin it for me?

I love the six song project too! :thumb: I am far to lazy/overwhelmed to check out all the wonderful music out there and I always have the feeling that I'm missing out on so much greatness.

Love Train?!?! :roll2:

*imagines Jemaine dancing in a tight, white polyester suit.*
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 pm

No, it won't ruin it for you at all. :thumb:

nonchalant obsession wrote:*imagines Jemaine dancing in a tight, white polyester suit.*

:lol: Is he pretending to be Elvis? ;)

I can't get that Herman Dune song out of my head. I love it. It makes my heart break a little bit though because I imagine he's thinking of Miranda when he listens to it and I am a hopeless sap for romantic crap like that, lol.
mockingbird

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm sure when he hears that song now he almost always thinks of an alluring brunette whose chair he straddled one evening not too long ago...

I remember that I liked Bret's playlist on MySpace. I wish they would each do a new one.

Oh I forgot about Tongan Ninja Jemelvis! :lol: Those pants were something! I was imagining more like Pasha or Neal or Ade in their disco suits on 'So You think You can Dance'. Grrrr now I just want to photoshop. :doh:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Hot Jam » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

I may just do this, mockingbird - neat idea! Thanks as well for putting these songs in one place. I really love this interview and, at the time, also went and found the songs that Jemaine selected. Except for a bit, I thought he was saying Human Dune but quickly learned that it was Herman Moon when I couldn't find an artist called Human Dune - or Human Moon or Herman Dune. Then I searched for the song and all was right in the world again. :lol: Anyway, it was a neat selection of songs and I also listened to and liked other songs because of the searches that I did that day.

And, yes, my heart broke a little too...

Yes, nonchalant, I really liked Bret's as well. I feel that music one likes is quite personal and it's interesting and nice to share it.
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby LauraK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks mock! I'm listening to the interview and am on the Herman Dune song......isn't that the song that someone from here requested someone please cover on the uke??

This is driving me nuts because I know I saw this vid and heard this song before and it was thru here!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kipples » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 pm

That was so good! I'm just getting round to the songs now. Listening to The Front Lawn right now.

I'm totally on for the personal play-list. Will we do it in this thread or a separate one?
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 pm

HotJam- it is Herman Dune:

I'm thinking it was biscuit who covered it on uke? (I haven't looked yet....it's driving me mad...)

Here's Andy by The Front lawn: beautiful, sad song.

ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 am

Ah yes, I love that radio interview. I was made aware of that Herman Dune song because of that interview. Thanks for creating the playlist, mock. Haha, I remember thinking that it was cute that Jemaine included 'Love Train'. If I remember correctly, Amanda requested someone to play that Herman Dune song on the uke as she knew that it was one of Jemaine's favourite songs and she loves the song too so biscuit ended up covering it...or something along those lines.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby SheWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 am

mockingbird wrote:I can't get that Herman Dune song out of my head. I love it. It makes my heart break a little bit though because I imagine he's thinking of Miranda when he listens to it and I am a hopeless sap for romantic crap like that, lol.
Damn you mock and damn you Jemaine! *shakes fist* *sniff* It's a good thing that man isn't usually overtly romantical coz he'd kill me if he was.

I find that those simple love songs get me the most, the - I miss you, I think about you all the time - stuff rather than the overblown sentiments of I CAN'T LIVE IF LIVING IS WITHOUT YOU!!! Okay, that dude's voice, when he reaches the high notes does get me, I admit it. :worry:

ETA: Goodness the Art G song reminds me of scary cartoon rabbits & a vague feeling of wanting to slit my wrists.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:I'm sure when he hears that song now he almost always thinks of an alluring brunette whose chair he straddled one evening not too long ago...

:lol: Yes I'm sure that's true. ;)

kipples wrote:I'm totally on for the personal play-list. Will we do it in this thread or a separate one?

Let's just do it here, OK?

SheWolf wrote:Goodness the Art G song reminds me of scary cartoon rabbits & a vague feeling of wanting to slit my wrists.

:rolls:
mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

So, I had an idea about the playlists, tell me what you all think of this.

I made an account at Grooveshark for us to put all our playlists on. I thought it might be cool to have them all in one place. So, when you have your six songs, post the list of songs here with whatever explanation you feel like giving, then go over to Grooveshark and log on to our communal account and make a playlist of them. You should probably name your playlist something like "mockingbird's awesome playlist" so we know which is which. Of course you would use your own name. ;)

So here's the Grooveshark account information:

user name: 6songs
password: whatthefolk

Also, I'm starting to feel like Jemaine - a bit guarded, lol. It is becoming clear to me the more I think about my list that music is a really personal thing. The songs that have meaning for me, when I articulate the reason and then I think about the song, it turns out the song is really explicit, lol. It expresses my heart more than just my own words do. Does that make sense to anyone? :dunno: So nobody better make fun of any of my songs! :lol: ;)
mockingbird

Postby SheWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm

I won't make fun but I don't think there is any way in the world I can choose 6 songs.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I won't make fun- because I have the same worry! :)

I'm older than y'all and some of the ones that have the most meaning in my life were from when I was a young, angsty girl. Plus, it is very hard to just pick 6. Expect cheating from me.

Ok. Did it. There's nothing too recent.

Spirit in the Sky. I can remember playing in my cousins's basement (My Aunt Joy & Uncle Jerry's)and listening to/singing along with that song. We were on roller skates and I was verrry young...like 6 or 7. I have loved that song all my life and it always takes me back to my childhood. Whenever I hear it, I must crank it up and it always makes me smile.

I would have put the entire Kilroy Was Here album by Styx if I could have. I picked Mr. Roboto, but I loved all the songs. :) All I can say is that it meant a lot to me as a teenager. Yes, I was a dork.

Same with Ozzy....I'd have put Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, Speak of the Devil.....I loved Ozzy. I defended him to my family: "He did not bite that bat's head off on purpose! Someone threw it up onstage and he thought it was fake..." :lol: His songs said more than our parents thought....Crazy Train is anti-war, anti-hate, pro-peace. Even though I messed with my Mom by cutting up the albums so I could frame them and hang them on the wall and drew upside-down crosses....he was not teaching us devil-worship. Pretty much the opposite, actually. Read the lyrics to War Pigs. :) Ozzy helped me rebel without really doing anything wrong.

Wonderful Tonight because long ago in a seedy little bar in Hamtramck with a live band, Tom had them play it and dedicate it to me. Yes, I'm a sucker, lol. But whenever it comes on, I still get misty.....

Silent Lucidity because I first heard it sitting in my car waiting for a funeral procession to begin. I think of every person I've ever lost when I hear it, and usually get teary but in a good way, if that makes sense.

Butterfly Kisses came out when I was an adult, but it about killed me the first time I heard it. I was a Daddy's Girl, and I know this could have been him singing this about me if only he'd lived. So whenever I'm really missing him and feel like a cry, I just need to listen to this song. I can't even talk when it's on.
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks Laura. Did you make a playlist?

I was going to say, technically Jemaine got to choose ten songs, even though they only played six. So I suppose we could choose up to ten songs, if you guys want. Actually I suppose you can choose as many as you want, it's not like anyone is going to object, lol. I just like to impose arbitrary limits on things, it helps me stay organized. :lol:

Funny you mention War Pigs, it came on the radio the other day in the car and Maddie asked me to turn it off, lol. I was like, "What? Don't you like Black Sabbath?" :supz: :lol: I tell you these five year old girls today, if it's not about rainbows and pink unicorns they just don't want to hear about it, lol. ;)
mockingbird

Next

Return to Fun & Games & Bret & Jemaine