Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: 13 June Hawke's Bay Opera House, Hastings

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 am

Today! :yay: :supz:

Conchords start flight in Hastings
Amy Shanks | Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:43

Flight of the Conchords touched down at Hawke's Bay Opera House yesterday to rehearse their live stage show, behind closed doors.

The comedy duo, comprised of Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, will open their first New Zealand performance since 2009 in Hastings tonight.

Security was tight at the venue and media were not given even a hint of what fans can expect.

"I haven't seen the show yet," event co-promoter Brent Eccles said. "People will have to wait and see."

Hawke's Bay was chosen as the first of 14 stops, because of its central location.

"The tour features a combination of theatres and arenas," Mr Eccles said. "Routing wise it makes sense for us to start at the Opera House in Hastings, and it's a beautiful theatre."

The fact Flight of the Conchords have spent a lot of time in the spotlight recently served to build excitement, Mr Eccles said.

"Obviously there is the TV series that made them famous, and the other things that came along such as a Grammy Award, Bret's Queen's Birthday Honour and thirdly Jemaine's appearance in Men in Black 3."

Opera House manager Roger Coleman had also noticed a "real buzz" surrounding the concert.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we got some people turning up here at weird times [today] to catch a glimpse of the Conchords, from some of the comments I have heard floating around," he said.

Having the tour premiere in Hawke's Bay was a huge opportunity and showed the Opera House was a major player.

"They really are a national icon and that is exciting not just for us at the Opera House, but the whole of Hawke's Bay."

Tickets to fill the 988-seat venue sold out within hours, leaving many fans disappointed.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Great reviews of the show from concert-goers are coming in :)
Review: Flight of the Conchords
ROBYN MCLEAN
Last updated 00:48 14/06/2012

REVIEW: 'Business Time' finally arrived for fans of Flight of the Conchords as they kicked off their much-anticipated national tour last night.

Nearly 1000 fans - each looking like they'd just unwrapped Willy Wonka's final golden ticket - packed into Hawke's Bay Opera House in Hastings for the first show of a ten-centre tour.

From the moment they stepped onto the stage with their first number Too Many Dicks, Wellington duo Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement had the audience eating out of the palms of their hands.

The back catalogue is there (Hurt Feelings, Business Time, The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room, Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous), but a few new songs are given a test drive too. Minor crashes along the way only add to the fun.

With a slew of awards behind them, FOTC have garnered a cult following not just here, but internationally too - largely thanks to their popular HBO sitcom series.

Seeing them live proves their comedic and musical genius doesn't come from successful television editing.

While there's a bit of scripting, they don't miss a beat with their ad-lib banter. Their unique and refreshing low-key, deadpan humour is pitch-perfect. They bounce off each other like Lennon and McCartney and their musical ability isn't a far cry from them either.

They're not trying to be something they're not - they don't need to, the talent's their in droves.

"We should introduce the band," they say early on. "We've got Jemaine on guitar and Bret on guitar". They are later joined by a lone cellist who they dub the "New Zealand Sympathy Orchestra".

Making their way through an impressive array of instruments, Jemaine and Bret, who have more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook, even manage to give the triangle and recorder a bit of old-school cool. Before long their spell on the audience had them belting out Song for Epileptic Dogs in four-part harmony.

While their solo careers are catapulting them into a space most artists can only dream of - Bret's got an Oscar sitting on his piano at home and Jemaine has appeared on the big screen alongside some of Hollywood's biggest stars - it's fantastic they've teamed up again for this series of concerts. Maybe they got sick of everyone asking, who knows?

Knowing they'd have sellout shows, concert promoters went to lengths to drip-feed ticket sales for this ten-centre tour to prevent ticket scalping. They still went quicker than Road Runner and extra 'arena' shows have been added in Wellington and Auckland to satisfy their legions of fans who missed out on tickets for the smaller venues.

Arj Barker, a sometime cohort from the FOTC telly series, kicks off the show as special guest. He's a comic genius in his own right and the audience responded as such.

Those lucky enough to have secured themselves a ticket for one of the upcoming shows are in for a treat. This show is utterly brilliant. With every audience member on their feet at the end, it proved there ain't no party like a Conchords party.

- © Fairfax NZ News

Source

Review: Flight of the Conchords live
TRACEY CHATTERTON
HAWKE'S BAY REPORTER
Last updated 08:55 14/06/2012

REVIEW: Flight of the Conchords
Hawke's Bay Opera House, Hastings, June 13

The Conchords landed in Hastings last night with their clever wit and catchy tunes, wooing the sold-out crowd in their first New Zealand show since 2009.

American comedian Arj Barker, also known as Dave, the pawn-shop guy in the pair's TV sitcom, warmed up the audience with lines packed full of punch.

But it was Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie that the fans came to see – and they didn't disappoint.

Silhouettes of a robot-shaped duo sent the crowd into a frenzy, as did the Conchords' robotic moves during Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor.

They kept up the techno pace for Robots, apart from the odd costume blip as their spray-painted cardboard helmets bumped the microphone. But there was always an awkward joke or anecdote to make the crowd laugh.

The lads invited the audience to share in their "intimate relationship" by offering a new piece, during which Clement took on the woman's role to match McKenzie's masculine part.

The band were then joined by Nigel, "a sympathy orchestra" or lone cello player.

Business Time proved to be the biggest hit, with the crowd singing along to the catchy chorus.

With the audience eating out of their hands, the pair conducted a sing-along of Epiletic Dogs – with the crowd again carrying the song home.

The pace picked up again for Bowie, before a brief blackout allowed them to strip down to sparkly Bowie-inspired tops.

But not satisfied with a little bit of glitter, they added capes and revealed the full-length Lycra outfit hiding beneath their shirts.

Clement said that, after seeing Lady Gaga, they felt they had to up their game – and they did as they rocked Demon Woman home.

Each song offered something different, proving just how versatile and talented this duo really are.

Source

A few tweets:

arjbarker: FOTC 2012 Tour Opening Night, Hawkes Bay, NZ

Source

KendallForbes:Amazing! Flight of the Conchords were awesome!! 5 costume changes, requests and audience participation ❤ @fotc

Click for the pic

blackdogdesign: Hands down the greatest show #fotc #hawkesbay

Click for the pic

5 costume changes? Check them out going all 'Lady Gaga' on us. :lol: Hopefully more pics and videos will be coming in :)
&
Venus

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Nigel is the "Sympathy" orchestra. :rolls:
Great reviews - hope to see more soon. :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Great H » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

An NZ audience sang along? NO WAY!! :shock:
Can't see that happening in Jafa-land (Auckland)... :lol:
But I hope it does!!
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 pm

So Nigel has changed from being the NZ Symphony orchestra to the "sympathy" orchestra? Love it. :lol:
Oh of course, no one can resist a sing-a-long at FOTC gig! I bet you'll be surprised, H. ;)

Many thanks to Tracey Richardson who posted some photos from last night's gig on WTF!'s FB page :)

A couple more articles:

Conchords 'cheek hurtingly funny' at first NZ show
9:45 AM Thursday Jun 14, 2012

Hours of waiting in line for tickets paid off for Flight of the Conchords fans of all ages who were last night treated to a premiere performance from the comedy duo.

Excitement bubbled over for many diehard supporters as they filed into the Hawke's Bay Opera House for the 7.30pm show, the first of the duo's latest New Zealand tour.

Palmerston North friends Amy Burlace and Samantha Fletcher had driven over after work - and admitted that missing work had got them the tickets in the first place.

"I took a sick day to get the tickets," Amy said. But not without additional help.

"We were on the phone together and her credit card wouldn't work so I had to give her mine," Samantha said.

The pair had initially missed out on tickets to the Wellington show but were last night glad to be in the Bay.

"It's great we get to see them first," Amy said. "It's a smaller venue so we're really excited. I think they could possibly get lost in a bigger venue."

She said the awarded comedy act appealed to her because they had a "similar sense of humour" to her mates.

"They're just normal guys."

Opening act and fellow Flight of the Conchords TV series star, Arj Barker was a hit with the crowd causing regular outbreaks of genuine laughter.

Then it was a nervous wait before the men of the moment, Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, took their spot on stage.

New Zealand's iconic comics were dressed as robots and opened with their classic Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor to a roar of laughter from the packed room, and that's how it stayed for the rest of the night.

Reaction to the show on Twitter was positive, with one fan describing them as "cheek hurtingly funny".

"Flight of the Conchords were cheek hurtingly funny last night in Hastings. Felt like Mel (their stalker fan) back stage afterwards :)," wrote Ashton Ireland.

Another wrote: "Went to see Flight of the Conchords with Arj Barker last night at the Hawke's Bay Opera House. Absolutely fantastic show! Very funny! Thanks for coming to Hastings guys."

The Hawke's Bay concert was the first on a 14-date tour. The Conchords hit Hamilton tonight, and Auckland on Saturday.

Source

Flight of the Conchords review
By GUY SOMERSET | Published on June 14, 2012 |

Unpacked from their polystyrene boxes and on tour.

With Jemaine in a red checked shirt and matching coloured jeans, and Bret in a blue shirt and jeans, they look as though they could have wandered in off Wellington’s Cuba St. At least they do once they’ve shed (“The whole time it was us!”) the shiny silvery tops and crappy cardboard robot helmets of daft Daft Punk opener Too Many Dicks (On the Dancefloor) and retro sci-fi second number Robots, and before they switch to spangly satin blouses for the heavy-metal pre-encore finale Demon Woman, telling us: “We saw Lady Gaga and thought we needed to pick up our game.”

It’s two years since the Conchords last played live (“We’ve just been in polystyrene boxes”) and three years since the second of their two TV series aired in New Zealand and its accompanying album, I Told You I Was Freaky, was released here.

We never got to see those live shows at the time, of course; this tour’s support act Arj Barker has been a more familiar presence on New Zealand stages than the Conchords. But the success of their US and European concerts, not to mention Jemaine’s burgeoning Hollywood film career and the small matter of Bret’s Oscar for Man or Muppet, have not gone to their heads nor to their budgets. (Lady Gaga needn’t worry; their Demon Woman outfits are endearingly inept, including a costume malfunction for Bret – involving a cape and thankfully no nipple.)

This is essentially the same set-up as when I last saw the Conchords, pre-TV series, at Wellington’s Downstage Theatre, but with bigger auditoriums. “We should introduce the band,” says Bret. “That’s Jemaine on guitar.” “And on guitar that’s Bret.” Actually, there are more instruments than that, and there’s also Nigel, playing cello among other things, supposedly on charitable loan from the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (“the New Zealand Sympathy Orchestra”).

The big fear after so long – to borrow from the Smiths, two of whose songs play over the soundsystem pre-concert – is that joke isn’t funny anymore. In many ways, it’s a miracle it was funny in the first place. Musical parody isn’t a genre covered in glory. But the Conchords’ songs have consistently passed all the tests: funny in the context of the TV show; funny outside the context of the TV show on their albums; funny – in my own case – after seemingly endless repeat plays in the car at the behest of my children.

That the songs bear repeating – and repeating and repeating and repeating – is due to the sheer brilliance of their conception and execution, and it’s a brilliance that shines through no less in concert than it does on record – possibly more so, with all the additions and quick-witted ad libs they bring to the songs.

There is great intelligence at play: a nimble, dexterous sense of both musical and lyrical absurdity that could only come from being steeped in songcraft, from folk (The Summer of 1353, Albi the Racist Dinosaur) to soul (Business Time – combining the recorder and Barry White) to rap (Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros, Hurt Feelings) and all stops in between, including pop’s nadir, the charity record. In the Conchords’ hands, that nadir becomes a concert highlight, with the audience dragooned into singing the various parts of Epileptic Dogs.

The Conchords’ own singing, and musicianship, in so many different guises, is as always a wonder – whether channelling David Bowie, holding a falsetto note for a surely dangerous length of time (and more impressive still fading out a song in falsetto) or rapping at a rate that puts Home Brew to shame.

And never mind too many dicks, this is a band with too many songs; so many they can leave out ones as good as The Prince of Parties and Ladies of the World, but happily their best – Bowie and the spot-on Pet Shop Boys spoof Inner City Pressure – are present.

There are a couple of new songs, too, including – as befits a band at this stage of their career – the road song, a tired staple reinvigorated and sent up with such lines as “another hotel, another complimentary muffin … another passed-out groupie with a goldfish in her arse”.

Catch this unmissable tour if you can, but don’t let your enthusiasm get the better of you. Those goldfish are terribly difficult to remove.

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, touring, until July 2.

Source

Matt Shane's instagram:
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:24 am

Tracey's also shared a short clip of Business Time. Wow, the lighting looks amazing!:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=368225229907248

Robots: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=368234526572985
&
Venus

Postby Great H » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:39 am

Ooooh I see the sparkly spandex lion costume! :biggrin:
MUST take my glasses and/or binoculars! LOL! :lol:
Great H

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 am

:yay: :sing: :folkon: :jc: :supz:

I loved the Guy Somerset review:

But the Conchords’ songs have consistently passed all the tests: funny in the context of the TV show; funny outside the context of the TV show on their albums; funny – in my own case – after seemingly endless repeat plays in the car at the behest of my children.

That the songs bear repeating – and repeating and repeating and repeating – is due to the sheer brilliance of their conception and execution, and it’s a brilliance that shines through no less in concert than it does on record – possibly more so, with all the additions and quick-witted ad libs they bring to the songs.

There is great intelligence at play: a nimble, dexterous sense of both musical and lyrical absurdity that could only come from being steeped in songcraft, from folk (The Summer of 1353, Albi the Racist Dinosaur) to soul (Business Time – combining the recorder and Barry White) to rap (Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros, Hurt Feelings) and all stops in between, including pop’s nadir, the charity record. In the Conchords’ hands, that nadir becomes a concert highlight, with the audience dragooned into singing the various parts of Epileptic Dogs.

The Conchords’ own singing, and musicianship, in so many different guises, is as always a wonder – whether channelling David Bowie, holding a falsetto note for a surely dangerous length of time (and more impressive still fading out a song in falsetto) or rapping at a rate that puts Home Brew to shame.

Hm...I wonder if the 'New' songs are really new? The road song isn't and neither is 1353...or Woo a Lady. ;) I hope someone will clue us in as to titles. I know the guys don't want the new stuff recorded but titles are ok, right??

Off to a great start, sounds like!! And I can't wait to see more pics of their costume changes! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Great H » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:54 am

LauraK wrote::Hm...I wonder if the 'New' songs are really new? The road song isn't and neither is 1353...or Woo a Lady.
They are to us upside-downers THAT HAVE NEVER HAD A TOUR BEFORE!!! :lol: (I'm not bitter)

and can I just say...
From the Guy Somerset review wrote:… another passed-out groupie with a goldfish in her arse”.

Catch this unmissable tour if you can, but don’t let your enthusiasm get the better of you. Those goldfish are terribly difficult to remove.
Bwhahahaha!
:spit:
Great H

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 pm

I see a silver sex suit 8)

Great H wrote: They are to us upside-downers THAT HAVE NEVER HAD A TOUR BEFORE!!! :lol: (I'm not bitter)
By that logic all the songs are new to you. :P
Great H wrote: and can I just say...
From the Guy Somerset review wrote:… another passed-out groupie with a goldfish in her arse”.
Since it seems unlikely any kiwi has a video of this (come on people :hammer:) permit me a trip down memory lane... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4O8wjD ... ature=plcp
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Great H wrote: They are to us upside-downers THAT HAVE NEVER HAD A TOUR BEFORE!!! :lol: (I'm not bitter)

SheWolf wrote: By that logic all the songs are new to you. :P

Thank you, SW! :lol:

By new, I meant something none of us have heard before. Because I know you've seen the vids from the last tour of them singing/bantering these, right? I have but I've not had the chance to see them do it live yet either.... :( :wink:

I hope they do something entirely new for you guys, though! You deserve it for having had to wait so long.

Mmmmmm yes, the silver sex suit. It does sound like there were more costume changes than in the last tour. I'm hoping for lots more vids to start turning up. :D
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 pm

The lads invited the audience to share in their "intimate relationship" by offering a new piece, during which Clement took on the woman's role to match McKenzie's masculine part.

This must be a new song, right? Oh wait, could this be, "You Don't Love Me Anymore"? Jemaine only says a couple of lines as a lady though.

And I was saying in the General Tour chat thread: An important note for all concert-goers, Bret and Jemaine have asked fans not to post videos of new songs so we will respect their wishes just like we did during the previous tour so:
PLEASE DO NOT POST VIDEOS OF NEW SONGS ON THE FORUM. We will eventually post the videos once the tour has ended. :)

A video of Most Beautiful Girl:
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Credit to foreverlikesister's Tumblr page:

Source
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Now to see if these are the clothes we'll see all throughout the tour.... :lol:

I hope not. Please change up the outfits, guys! :pray: I'm hoping for another Tour Look Smackdown!

Venus, I wondered if it was YDLMA, too. They did say they wouldn't tour the US or England again til they had new songs, right? So I'm hoping it IS a new one and that there are more coming! :D

Looks like Jemaine has left the scarf with the wire in it off this time, eh? :lol:

What did Jemaine say in Most Beautiful Girl?? I keep hearing "you're like some horse bacon..." :rolls: that can't be it- right??
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Next

Return to New Zealand & Australia 2012 Tour