It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 pm

General 2012 Tour Discussion Thread

All the news, info and gossip for the AusKiwi 2012 Tour

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: General 2012 Tour Discussion Thread

Postby TraceyR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

LauraK wrote:8) :supz: :D

(Is that supposed to be a kiwi?? It looks like an ostrich...or a dinosaur. Maybe it's an inside joke?) :worry:

It's a Moa an extinct bird that once lived in NZ. The irony/parody is that the bird was flightless..... so it was the flighless moa :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa
TraceyR
New arrival

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 pm

I love it! Thanks for the explanation, Tracey- and I enjoyed reading about them. Sounds like they were driven to extinction pretty quickly. Nice to see that the Conchords are giving them new life. :D

:welcome: btw!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Tracey, thanks for letting us know. Welcome to the forum! Is this the same Tracey who supplied us with photos and videos from the Hastings gig on our FB page? If so, thanks so much and I'm glad you decided to join. You can post more about your experience at the gig in the Hastings thread. If you're not the same Tracey, welcome anyway. :lol: You can introduce yourself here.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone who's been to a gig could post pics or describe the merchandise on offer at the shows? Are their tour posters for each gig like previous tours?

And an important note for all concert-goers, Bret and Jemaine have asked fans not to post videos of new songs so we will respect their wishes just like we did during the previous tour so:
PLEASE DO NOT POST VIDEOS OF NEW SONGS ON THE FORUM. We will eventually post the videos once the tour has ended. :)

ETA: I've created a new thread about Tour Merchandise here.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I have actually been quoted in an NZ Herald article :lol:

Conchords duo keep under the radar

The Flight of the Conchords are trying to keep their new material under wraps from the rest of the world during their home tour.

Fans who attended the first two concerts bowed to the duo's wishes and refrained from posting clips of new songs on the internet.

After the opening gigs at Hastings on Wednesday and Hamilton the next night, social media and fan sites were awash with pictures and clips of the Conchords performing.

But following the first show, longstanding fan site What The Folk urged fans to show restraint with material recorded on mobile phones.

The latest Conchords' performances include up to six costume changes and a smattering of new songs.

Fans have been raving about the gigs that have kicked off with the Conchords dressed as robots and belting out their classic Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor. Other favourites receiving airplay have included Business Time and Inner City Pressure.

A What The Folk administrator posted: "An important note for all concert-goers, Bret and Jemaine have asked fans not to post videos of new songs so we will respect their wishes just like we did during the previous tour so please do not post videos of new songs on the forum. We will eventually post the videos once the tour has ended."

McKenzie and Clement are going out of their way to keep a low profile. They declined media interviews before the tour started and in Hamilton on Thursday, security men were outside the theatre to keep photographers at bay when the duo arrived for a soundcheck.

"The guys might be big stars all over the world but they don't want to be seen as acting like big shots on their home turf," an insider said.

Waiter's lucky Flight

The Flight of the Conchords are winning fans throughout the country as they tour this month.

Waiter Sam Steevens could hardly believe it when the duo handed him a $100 tip for serving them breakfast in a Napier cafe.

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement dropped into Mister D's on Thursday morning, hours after playing the opening gig of their nationwide tour in Hastings.

They were joined by their support act, American comedian Arj Barker, for a leisurely three-hour brekkie before heading off to another concert in Hamilton.

The trio joked with staff and scoffed down special doughnuts injected with custard and chocolate via a syringe.

"Our doughnuts are pretty famous and I was impressed that the guys managed to cope with a double syringe-full of filling as not too many people can handle that," Steevens said.

"The bill came to about $75 and I was delighted when they handed us a tip that was bigger than the bill. Jemaine said it was because we rocked their socks off with the breakfast.

"They also loved our granola. They bought some from us and we also gave them some for free. They joked that they weren't really comedians, they were actually secret granola dealers."

Source
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 pm

All right, Venus! :lol: They could have used your name though... :P

I'm surprised they ate those doughnuts, too! They sound like the rich, fattening kind we have here that NZers might mock us for, lol! ;) (Really, don't they have custard or chocolate filled everywhere?)

Sounds like a great place for breakfast and leisurely is right- 3 hours?! 8) Maybe they're writing a doughnut bit to interchange with the muffin bit....at least they got plenty of granola to make back that tip money. They'll probably be peddling it after shows during the meet and greets.... "Yeah, I'll pose for a pic but you have to buy a dime bag of this granola I've got...." :lol:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Great H » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:00 am

And a $100 tip! :shock: Considering we don't generally tip here AT ALL (unless by choice for exceptional service) that's pretty freaking generous!
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby LauraK » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 am

No tipping? Then your servers must make more in wages alone than ours do here. They rely on tips to make ends meet. :)

That was exceptionally generous, but that's Jemaine and Bret. :heart: They must have really loved the food and gotten excellent service. 8)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Venus that's cool. 8)

Those donuts sound vile, with that said I had a vanilla cream donut from Dunkin Donuts recently that was so richly disgusting that I keep thinking lusty thoughts about it. :worry:

LauraK wrote: (Really, don't they have custard or chocolate filled everywhere?)
That's what I was thinking. They make it sound like these donuts are revolutionary or something. :lol:

The US is the really the only place where tipping is a common practice, no?

This is odd: "McKenzie and Clement are going out of their way to keep a low profile. They declined media interviews before the tour started and in Hamilton on Thursday, security men were outside the theatre to keep photographers at bay when the duo arrived for a soundcheck.
"The guys might be big stars all over the world but they don't want to be seen as acting like big shots on their home turf," an insider said.
"

Wouldn't security men imply the opposite of what they are trying to imply here? Also to state that they don't want to seen acting like big shots makes it sound like they normally act like big shots and are making an concerted effort to not be viewed in that way. I'm sure that wasn't the intention but it's a weird read.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I'll settle for What The Folk! administrator. :lol: Thanks, was a pleasant surprise!

Yeah we have those doughnuts too. I wonder what they mean by "double syringe-full" because you can get doughnuts filled with custard and chocolate unless the doughnuts they're referring to are exceptionally large. :lol: That is so sweet of them to tip so generously. :) Tipping is quite common over in the UK too but it does seem to be a mandatory thing in the US whereas there are times where we have an option whether or not to tip.
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 am

Another tour date has been added!
One last Auckland show for the Conchords
6:43 PM Wednesday Jun 20, 2012

Flight of the Conchords have added a third Vector Arena show to their highly awaited New Zealand return tour.

The first two shows at Vector, on June 29 and July 1, are sold out. Tickets for the new show, on June 30, go on sale today.

The shows are part of the band's blockbuster New Zealand tour with comedian Arj Barker. Every date on the tour, apart from the new one, has sold out.

"In response to nationwide demand, this Vector Arena show will be the final announcement of the tour - there are simply no dates left to play," the band said in a statement.

The band's three Vector dates equals the number of times Justin Timberlake played there in 2007. Only Roger Water has beaten that record with four shows on his The Wall tour.

Information: ticketmaster.co.nz or (800) 111-999

Flight of the Conchords
June 21: Michael Fowler Centre
June 23: Dunedin Regent Theatre
June 24: Queenstown Events Centre
June 26: Christchurch CBS Arena
June 27: Nelson Trafalgar Centre
June 29: Vector Arena
June 30: Vector Arena
July 1: Vector Arena
July 2: Wellington TSB Bank Arena

Source

Flight of the Conchords announce 3rd Vector Arena show
Wednesday, 20 June, 2012 - 18:46

Talk about 'Inner City Pressure'! It's officially the biggest ever tour by a New Zealand artist and it's about to get bigger! Pressure for seats around the country when the tour first announced forced promoters to announce a Vector Arena show, which sold out? then another Vector Arena show? which sold out?

The tour started to rave reviews. The band are being stopped in the street everywhere they go and being asked to add more dates, so they have bowed to inner city pressure and added a third and final show at Vector Arena!

Squeezing in this new Vector Arena show between sold out shows on Friday and Sunday gives out-of-town fans the chance to make a weekend of it, with local hotels already coming to the party with great special rates for visitors to the city. Travelling from the North or the Naki, this show offers a great chance for unlucky fans that missed out on the initial ticket frenzy.

The home-town Wellington's TSB Bank Arena was put in to ease the Wellington pressure after three Michael Fowler shows sold out in a week and last week's ticket release was snapped up. So, in response to nationwide demand, this Vector Arena show will be the final announcement of the tour - there are simply no dates left to play!

13th June Hawkes Bay Opera House SOLD OUT

14th June Hamilton Founders Theatre SOLD OUT

16th June Auckland Town Hall SOLD OUT

17th June New Plymouth SOLD OUT

19th June Michael Fowler Centre SOLD OUT

20th June MIchael Fowler Centre SOLD OUT

21st June Michael Fowler Centre SOLD OUT

23rd June Dunedin Regent Theatre SOLD OUT

24th June Queenstown Events Centre SOLD OUT

26th June Christchurch CBS Arena SOLD OUT

27th June Nelson Trafalgar Centre SOLD OUT

29th June Vector Arena SOLD OUT

30th June Vector Arena ON SALE / 9AM THURSDAY 21

1st July Vector Arena SOLD OUT

2nd July Wellington TSB Bank Arena SOLD OUT

Fans and critics alike are clapping and cheering and saying things like?

"Seeing them live proves their comedic and musical genius doesn't come from successful television editing. Their unique and refreshing low-key, deadpan humour is pitch-perfect. They bounce off each other like Lennon and McCartney and their musical ability isn't a far cry from them either." Robyn McLean / http://www.stuff.co.nz

"For almost two hours of stop-start, awkwardly funny, chaotic entertainment, FOTC ensured there was never really a dull moment." Michelle Robinson / http://www.aucklandnow.co.nz

"?.a performance that lived up to every expectation." Russell Baillie / NZ Herald

"Catch this unmissable tour if you can, but don't let your enthusiasm get the better of you. Those goldfish are terribly difficult to remove." Guy Somerset / the Listener

"I thought the show was bloody brilliant! Loved the new songs and of course all the ones we know and love ?.an absolutely wonderful night, definitely was worth postponing my wedding for!" Tiffany Elouise McKee / A fan from Mt Albert, Auckland

This is now (unofficially) the most successfully attended tour by any New Zealand born folk duo this decade and will see Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement back performing with their American buddy Arj Barker as support.

"What are you waiting for? An extra show in your living room?" says Arj. "Don't be a dick! Get your ticket today."

If you live outside of Auckland and missed seeing Flight of the Conchords live in your home town, now's your chance to book a fantastic weekend away -

Saturday 30 June

Vector Arena - AUCKLAND

On Sale TOMORROW 9am Thursday 21 June

Ticketmaster.co.nz / 0800-111-999

Source

Bret & Jemaine are now officially on the biggest ever tour by a NZ artist (video). :supz:
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 am

An interview with Jemaine ahead of their Australian tour:

BUSINESS TIME

On the eve of Flight Of The Conchords’ inaugural Australian headlining tour, the taller of the Kiwi duo, Jermaine Clement, promises Steve Bell that the incessant Aussie bashing of their TV show is all in jest and that they really do love their neighbours.

You can call the guys from Flight Of The Conchords many things, but you certainly can’t question their courage. They may have moved up in the world since their years spent as New Zealand’s self-proclaimed ‘fourth most popular folk-parody duo’ – a swag of shared awards including a Grammy, as well as individual accolades including an Oscar for Bret McKenzie and an Emmy nomination for his partner-in-crime Jermaine Clement would surely attest that they’ve climbed a few rungs on that particular pecking order – but the pair haven’t been to Australia since their eponymous TV show became a massive worldwide smash, debuting on US comedy giant HBO in 2007 and wrapping up two years later, having made the pair virtually household names on a global scale.

But it’s not just the tyranny of distance that makes their imminent live tour of Australia so daunting for the cocky Kiwis; they’re more concerned about how they’re going to live down the incessant Aussie bashing and anti-Australian rhetoric that liberally littered their TV show. Who can forget characters like conniving Aussie sheila Keitha, the cloyingly smug Australian diplomat Maxwell or the montage of the Conchords guys flipping the bird at the Australian Embassy in New York (where Flight Of The Conchords is based), a cross-Tasman rivalry best summed up by their description of Australians in the first series as a “bunch of cocky a-holes descended from criminals and retarded monkeys.” Them sounds like fighting words...

“We do not hate the Aussies!” Clement roars laughingly when confronted about their treatment of our nation on the small screen. “Although when we were doing the show – because we have a quite a few Aussie jokes – we did get a bit worried. We were worried about how it would be received, but in general Australians have taken to it with great humour. We thought we’d be ostracised in both New Zealand – for how we made New Zealanders appear – and Australia, and we’d have to live on an island. We’re coming over to apologise for all of the terrible stereotypes we purported. We’re just going to apologise profusely and then leave.

“But you know what I find the funniest thing – with all the Australian characters we had we did play around with them a bit, but we always made you guys the winners. We were always the losers. But when Australians make fun of New Zealanders it’s always the same way around too – you guys are the winners and New Zealanders are the losers. So we’re just kidding.”

The Flight Of The Conchords’ quest for contrition finds them returning to their roots, performing live and relying primarily on their hilariously whimsical songs to offset the duo’s naively stunted ‘fish out of water’ worldview and twisted inter-personal relationship. It’s how they started performing in their native Wellington back in the late-‘90s, building up the premise to the point where they were offered a BBC2 radio show in the UK in 2004, which in turn was tweaked to form the basis of their riotous TV series.

“Yeah, except our shows when we started were very much like our shows in the TV show – there were hardly any people,” Clement chuckles. “They were more dedicated than in the TV show – we had fans, but they would fit on two couches that would be at the front of the venue. I remember Bret’s dad seeing us early on and saying, ‘You guys are world class!’ and I laughed at him. I thought, ‘That’s a nice dad! That’s a nice thing for a dad to say about his son’s stupid band!’”

The ‘Conchords relied on this marriage of music and comedy from the get-go, but in the beginning each brought a particular skill set to the table. “We were just learning guitar, so it was mainly about learning how to play a guitar,” Clement smirks of the pair’s early material. “Actually, at my first gig I was so nervous that I couldn’t move my hand! I’d done comedy stuff before but no music and Bret had done music before but no comedy. Fortunately Bret – having played music gigs before – was confident enough to move his hands, so some sound came out.

“We met doing comedy stuff – theatre stuff – in Wellington. Our first songs were just weird songs; they didn’t necessarily have jokes, they were usually about people dying and stuff. I think our very first song was actually the French one that we still do sometimes, Foux Du Fafa, which wasn’t about anything – we just wanted to sound like Serge Gainsbourg. Most of that song only has two chords and then Bret wrote some more chords to go on the end of the song.

“Our first gig, we were doing auditions and stuff and Bret was playing in several bands. We were both really poor – we were flatting together – and then a friend of mine got a job booking comedy at a local club. It was the only comedy night in Wellington – it was once a week – and he said, ‘Do you want to be the band at this comedy gig?’ so we did that. Our songs had a few jokes in them [at the outset] and we just got more and more jokes, until eventually it was all jokes almost. But we were never serious, we were always doing stuff that amused ourselves at least and then eventually we started doing stuff to try and amuse others as well as ourselves.”

And amuse others they did, with the duo’s two albums to date – 2008’s Flight Of The Conchords and 2009’s I Told You I Was Freaky – being released on seminal US indie Sub Pop to much acclaim. Now, after years spent making the TV series and some serious forays into the film world – most recently McKenzie worked as music supervisor for The Muppets movie, winning the Academy Award for Best Original Song for his tune, Man Or Muppet, while Clement stars as the lead villain in Men In Black 3 – the pair are looking forward to once more treading the boards.

“When we’re well-rehearsed and everything, it’s the easiest and the funnest and the most interesting thing to do. It’s strange doing really big venues now though. Plus people know all the words now. Last time we toured was about two years ago, in Europe mostly. The biggest one we’ve done is Hollywood Bowl: it’s a massive leap going from ten people in downtown Wellington to playing to 15,000 people at Hollywood Bowl – mostly doing the same stuff! That was so exciting. Usually we’re pretty blasé; it’s really great touring but it’s not like we get amped every show or anything like that, but that time we were actually running around pretending to be rock stars and talking in our stupid rock stars voices, which is like this [approximates grizzled old rocker], ‘Alright, Hollywood!’ That was before the show, before we’d even started!

“We used to do that a little bit when we first started doing shows in Wellington, sometimes we’d do this joke and put on these rock star personas before we’d go on and once I did it so much that I lost my voice. It was like the time where Bret had to cover with the guitar, except this time he had to cover with all the singing – I could only talk in a very weak, very distant-sounding freaky voice.

“So some things are the same [as the old days], just the amount of people is different. And we get paid now! We used to get paid for those little gigs, but it would just cover the guitar strings that we’d bought for the show, so we’d break even.”

With all of this recent film work under their collective belts there’s been strong talk of a Flight Of The Conchords movie in the offing.

“Yeah, if we come up with one,” Clement smiles of the prospect of a movie project. “It’s the same as with songs – we only do it if we come up with it. If we don’t come up an idea for it, we won’t do it. But it probably won’t be [a continuation of the TV series], although we’d probably use the same cast. Like Monty Python I guess, where the movies aren’t really related to their TV show. But that’s only because we’ve talked about three stupid ideas so far: ‘What if we’re in medieval times? What if we’re astronauts?’ We haven’t even thought of one really where it’s, ‘What if we continue on from the TV show?’”

Irrespective of where their movie project takes them, Clement won’t be bringing too much of his experience filming Men In Black 3 to the table. “I haven’t seen it, but it was a really weird experience, because it was such a different scale – it’s just massively huge,” he recalls. “Both Bret and I would talk often when he was working on The Muppets and I was working on Men In Black about how it’s really hard going from being the boss to not being the boss. It’s really hard for me – I would just tell Will Smith alternative story lines the whole time and he was so sick of me! And the director too! I’d go up to him and go, ‘What about this? What about this, Barry? I’ve got an idea for this!’ When we do Conchords, if I say that everyone just has to make it happen, as long as I get Bret to agree, but it’s a bit different in Hollywood. I don’t think I learnt that until I was thinking about it in retrospect; ‘Oh, they were really sick of me for suggesting things.’ I don’t want to spoil anything, but generally bad guys in movies don’t get the call up for the next sequel anyway, so it’s not the end of the world.”

And despite all of their massive success so far, Flight Of The Conchords aren’t really getting ahead of themselves – they’re not even all that surprised at how well things are going.

“No, when we were starting out and playing small clubs we were thinking, ‘Why aren’t we really successful? We’re handsome, we can play guitar, sort of...’” Clement deadpans. “I think we had delusions of grandeur even then and they just happened to come true.”

Steve Bell

Drum (Jun 26, 2012)

Source
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 am

“I think we had delusions of grandeur even then and they just happened to come true.”

Thankfully. :D

Not sure I believe he was cluelessly bugging Will Smith and Barry Sonnenfeld about making changes in the film... :lol:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I guess that interview took place over a month ago as J has seen the film now.

LauraK wrote:
“I think we had delusions of grandeur even then and they just happened to come true.”

Thankfully. :D

Not sure I believe he was cluelessly bugging Will Smith and Barry Sonnenfeld about making changes in the film... :lol:
The clueless part or the bugging part?

All bands have delusions of grandeur when they start out, otherwise what's the point?

Irrespective is a word? Then surely irregardless must be. :P
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Both parts. He's modest and professional enough that he would be/do neither, I believe. :)

HA! When I saw that word, I thought exactly the same thing- 'that's as much a word as irregardless..."
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Can I just say how bummed I am at the lack of enthusiasm from the NZers? Obviously they're having a good time but.....where are all of the pics and vids of these shows?! Do they not get excited enough to share them or do they just take their cameras and show them to a few friends and family and that's it? :wink: C'mon folks...share your footage with us poor other fans living here in the past... :pray: You got to see loads and loads when they toured here and in Europe! :)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand & Australia 2012 Tour