&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: 24 June Events Centre, Queenstown

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Conchords impress at sell-out Queenstown concert
Celia Crosbie25 Jun 2012

It was Business Time in Queenstown last night – and 3000 fans of Flight of the Conchords definitely got return on investment.

Uber-talented comic-musical duo Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement brilliantly played and entertained at their first-ever Queenstown concert, scheduled as a main event at this year’s Winter Festival and part of the Conchord’s sell-out nationwide homecoming tour.

The Wellington lads kicked off their two hour, 15 minute performance with Too Many Dicks – wearing cardboard box headgear resembling stereo speakers that were conveniently turned around to look like a square robot’s head for their second number The Humans Are Dead.

“We saw the Lady Gaga concert and got some ideas,” Clement explained about their costumes.

Most of the Conchords’ as-seen-on TV classics were played – including Hiphopopotamus v Rhymenocerous, Hurt Feelings, Tears of a Rapper, Business Time, The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room and Sugarlumps. Clement and McKenzie, who engaged their crowd from the moment they set foot on the stage, even managed to get the audience participate in a four-part sing-along for Epileptic Dogs.

The duo brought out a couple of new tunes, including one which they described as “rough” before delivering an exceptional performance with only one obvious lyrical hiccup.

What was obvious throughout the show was Clement and McKenzie’s musical genius – their live acts performed with a range of instruments and superb vocals displayed their immense repertoire.

Songs were interspersed with sharp-as-a-tack comic adlibbing. Remarking on the Events Centre venue, McKenzie told the crowd that he loved the fact that there was a rock climbing wall at the location.

Clement quickly added: “I think there was a misunderstanding when they said there was a rock venue here.”

A highlight was the surprise addition of Nigel – a cello, percussion, synth, and recorder-playing musician who added to the overall sound of the songs. Another high point was the Conchord’s performance of Bowie and Demon Woman, which came complete with more impressive and hilarious costume changes.

They even played Albie The Racist Dragon on request of the audience.

But then again, the entire night was a hit. It’ll undoubtedly be one of the most-talked-about events of Winter Festival.

Source

Credit to @David_Finlayson
Source

Credit to saraloubergin on Instagram:

Assuming these pics were taken in Queenstown. Credit to monframpton on Instagram for both pics:

Right before one of the single most embarrassing moments of my life
They made me get up in front of the crowd and accused me of checking out Brett's "sugar lumps" it was an easy mistake for them to make. I just thought Brett's pants had the mumps.

Bret out and about:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am

:heart: her quote about Bret's pants-mumps, lol.

And love Bret's look in that last one. You're beard's good...just a compliment for you about your beard. (And hair, too...rowrrr.)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, Bret is looking very snuggly in that photo. I heard it's been snowing over there so it must have been cold.

Lol at this blog I just came across:

Too many dicks on the dancefloor!
Tuesday June 26th, 2012 | 4:12 pm

Woah... shut the gate! Winter Festival Monday will be the quiet day I told everyone.How wrong could I have been?

Early evening I had a call from Ricardo... "we're staying another night, what's the plan?"

So we did what you do when you're in QT, we headed to No 5 Bar for cocktails then went on to Botswana Butchery for an evening of fun dining and delicious food.

We started by the fireplace with Bluff Oysters and champagne to set the mood. Then we headed to our table for the main event. Norrie casually comments "We've seen some great people but where were the big celebrities this weekend?"

Five minutes later in strolls blonde bombshell Lara Bingle. She has an entourage of about 18 people and they casually hang about the bar chatting to the bartenders and each other. She is dressed in amazing Tsubi silver slouch pants and a black winter jacket. Her hair is shoulder length blonde and she has a cheeky snow angel look about her. Shortly after Hayley Holt arrives... also with shoulder length blonde hair and a black jacket. They could be sisters! The pair are in town filming for Kiwi Scepics - a Trans Tasman show designed to get Ozzy's to Kiwiland.

After a few wines they head to the upstairs bar where they get some shots for their show as well as a quick snap with me (will post soon as Norrie gets off the plane and sends to me!)

Lara is a lovely thing, really demure and sweet. How had I expected her to be? Maybe a bit more... welll Australian?

Not long after Lara our mouths all drop as Jemaine Clement, Brett Mackenzie and their entourage of 10 arrive. What the F next I say to Ricardo... Superman?

They settle in then I pop over to say hi. I meet their charming American manager Mike who tells me it's been a crazy few weeks of touring. Brett has boyish good looks and says he's been travelling with his wife and kids which all sounds pretty exhausting. They are super lovely and welcoming which is really surprising given how many crazy fans there must be. I leave them to it and invite them to an after drinnk, not thinking they would really come?

Our meals arrive and they are delic. We all think it's the perfect end to the night when we look out the window and it's snowing over the lake. Could QT be any more beautiful? After dinner we head off to Zeppher bar, walking in the snow. It's so lovely. Calvin and Ricardo have a wee snow ball fight and everything seems so surreal coverd in snow for the first time.

At Zeppher bar Dean Campbell is cranking. He plays me a song he produced with Sam Hill and it sounds wicked (will post link soon) Helen Corry on vocals. Very impressed!

The whole bar is dancing and then buzzing out when Jemaine rocks in. He's pretty cruisey. Just chilling on the D floor doing a bit of a shuffle. "Come on, I've seen your crazy dance moves on stage. I know you've got more moves than that!" I say. He laughs and before long he's into it. Even a bit of a robot at one stage... AWESOME!

Hayley Holt and her band of cute filming men arrive and now it's really a party. Good work Dean and Becca, great George FM party.

End of he night and my feet are sore, it's time for home. I go up and say good bye to Jemaine when he says "bye Anna" in that moment I'm totally starstruck. He is so lovely and cute and funny. LA girls you lucky things!

If you're in Queenstown there's a few things coming up... tonight drinks at Ballarat Trading Co 6.30pm followed by Nick D / Dean Campbell playing at No 5 Bar, 8pm - midnight. Wednesday night it's 7 Days Comedy show which goes live to air if you want to watch from home? Then Thursday the Hollie Smith/ Horri Buzz/ Downtown Brown gig at World Bar - sure to be a biggie! Then on Saturday night Thriller in the Chiller boxing which is always followed by a fun night of parties in town (try Barmuda!)

Looking forward to seeing Jesse Mulligan (and the 7 Days guys), Sonia Grey, Sandon from Sweetmix Kids and Thane Kirby & Sophia. So many people have just arrived into town... so lets play!

Your girl in the snow (literally!)

Anna xx

Source

Wish we could see video evidence of those dance moves. ;)
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Good lord...I can't believe I used 're on that your up there. :doh: Apologies.

I'd love to see video of those moves as well, Venus!

"He is so lovely and cute and funny."
Truer words and all that.... :heart:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 pm

:lol: I see she used a similar line to me to try to get J to bust a move only hers worked, or at least she got to see him dance. All I saw was a little chicken neck and shoulder shimmy, not that I'm complaining. :P

Funny about the weather coz last time I checked it had been steady in the 50s and I was all - why is Bret all bundled up in that interview and now the fan pic but I see it's currently 27 in Christchurch. Yikes.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby YisBot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Oh man! I would have flipped if I had seen FOTC, Arj and their entourage at the same restaurant I was at!! I wouldn't have the courage to go and say hi while they were sitting...maybe later when they were mingling...but still couldn't guarantee it!! I gotta give that girl credit! But definitely would love to see J on the dance floor!! Good to see they are having some fun in their free time on tour! :dance:
So Bret's travelling with the fam...that's probably why Jemaine was seen at the airport with out him in Dunedin.
I went to the bank.
YisBot
Keeping it funky

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Bret traveled with his family throughout the last tour as well.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 pm

:supz: :lol: That was great. (I wish she'd focused on his lumps but I can see how that would be difficult while he's right in front of and looking at you!) :P

"Security!! Securitay! Is there security?" *laughs* "There's usually security..." :lol:

"Well you may as well take a photo seeing as we got you up here...."

"May as well get some jpegs on it..." :rolls:

:heart:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:42 pm

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Beauty.
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:26 pm

OMG, that video is hilarious! "Is there no security?" :roll2: :clap:
Those are great photos too. Thanks for posting, SW. :thumb:
&
Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Oh dear...:roll2:
CLUELESS IN QUEENSTOWN

An American bartender in Queenstown was clueless when the Flight of the Conchords came to town. A reader overheard the following conversation:

American barman: "G'dday buddy, what can I get you?"

Bret McKenzie: "Two beers thanks."

AB: "So, what'ya been up to tonight, mate?"

BM: "Oh, I was just at the Flight of the Conchords."

AB: "Oh yeah, I heard about that, what were they like?"

BM: "Oh they were great - I really enjoyed it!"

Source
&
Venus