7 July, Brisbane Entertainment Center Qld

All the news, info and gossip for the AusKiwi 2012 Tour

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: 7 July, Brisbane Entertainment Center Qld

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Woo, so this is gibbs & Paige's show! :supz: Hope they had a wonderful time & I can't wait to read all about it (& see the costumes of gibbs' kids!). :D

So Bret & Jemaine rode cycles in this show? :lol:

Omg! ‪#FOTC‬ just rode in on City Cycles for their last song.

Source

#FOTC‬ were awesome. Loved the city cycle cameo and superb lighting which hasn't been invented yet @brisbaneentcent @ThePRCompany

Source

Credit to @ThePRCompany
Packed to the rafters for @FOTC tonight ‪#Brisbane‬ ‪#funnyshit‬ ‪#mustsee‬ pic.twitter.com/nLp5YAVf

Source

Credit to mattdshane on Instagram:
Loading into Brisbane for tonight's @fotc show #fotctour2012

Credit to @Rasta_
Source

Credit to wellthatdepends on Instagram:

Credit to ryliebartier on Instagram:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I love Rasta's pic. Looks like J is sexing it up for the men in the front row. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Haha, it does! :lol:

Jemaine wearing a City Cycle helmet.

Fans in pretty creative costumes! :lol: Credit to instakims on Instagram:
Some freaky #fotc fans :))

&
Venus

Postby Paige xx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Guys

Last night was amazing! couldn't stop laughing though the whole thing so good lol best part is when they came in on the bikes and the girl running up to hug jemaine lol his face hahahaha so good! I didn't get much photos though :( but I'm so happy I got to see them live :) its was amazing! :D
Paige xx
New arrival

Postby Venus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:25 am

Hi Paige. :wave: So glad to hear you enjoyed the gig! Jemaine's encounter with that girl sounds hilarious! :lol: Sounds reminiscent of the "bear attack" at Las Vegas (never forget!). I really hope someone captured that on video as I want to see them on the bikes too. Any other highlights? Would love to hear more about the gig. :D

Brisbane Times review:

Hapless nobodies? It's the only thing not convincing about the Conchords
July 8, 2012 - 11:02AM
Conal Hanna

Flight of the Conchords perform at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre as part of their Australian Tour. Photo: Michelle Smith

Reviewer rating:
4 out of 5 stars
Flight of the Conchords
Brisbane Entertainment Centre
July 7

Success is known to change a lot of people. None more so than those in showbiz, where everyone from Marilyn Monroe to Michael Jackson to Charlie Sheen endured very public struggles coming to terms with fame.

Luckily for fans of New Zealand’s self-proclaimed "fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a cappella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo”, success has not changed Flight of the Conchords.

The pair’s musical comedy schtick has long revolved around their hapless romantic exploits and attempts to discover success as a band.

Back when they formed in 1998, must of this may have been autobiographical, but 14 years later, after major success at the Edinburgh Fringe, a BBC radio series, an HBO TV show and, in Bret McKenzie’s case, an Oscar, they’re hardly the lovable nobodies they continue to sing about.

Most Australian fans no doubt know them best from the cult, two-series HBO show that shared their name. The show largely revolved around their hapless manager, Murray, trying to build the band a profile in a largely disinterested New York City. Some of their more memorable gigs include shows in a library and a lift.

It’s fortunate, then, that the same songs still work in front of a sold-out crowd of 10,000 people at Boondall.

Of course, most of the songs predated the TV show, with the scripts largely written to fit around their comedy lyrics.

So it is with the stage show, too, where McKenzie and partner in crime Jemaine Clement fill in time between songs with a healthy dose of Kiwi self-deprecation and tales of awkward uncool.

Having opened with low-brow crowd favourite Too Many Dicks (On the Dancefloor), the boys then detail, in hilariously deadpan fashion, the song’s deeper metaphorical meaning and the effort that went into writing the somewhat repetitive lyrics. “And then Bret put ‘ditto, ditto’, ‘ditto, ditto’ and the song pretty much wrote itself after that.”

The next subject for ridicule is their costumes, which also haven’t improved in line with the bigger budget stage production, before they’re back into the multi-genre music with songs including The Humans Are Dead, Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room), and Jenny.

Between songs, the duo keeps it real with "wild" tales from their life on the road, again mastering the straight-faced delivery of stories so mild and awkward that it’s easy to swallow the illusion you’re watching two nervous, small-town first-timers.

But then their list of hits belies their modesty, with the crowd lapping up, and often singing along to, songs such as Tears of a Rapper, Business Time and Hiphopopotamus vs The Rhymenocerous.

After a short break the band makes an unexpected encore entry, riding CityCycle bikes through the crowd, before having to spend the next few minutes on an extended instrumental introduction to their next song while they recover their breath.

By the time the gig is over, the pair seems just about ready to acknowledge the reality of their fame and sex appeal, albeit with tongue firmly in cheek, as they chastise the women in the crowd for their continual obsession with looking at the “sugar lumps” at the front of their trunks.

The writhing and posing on stage has to be seen to be believed. But then if these highly talented guys can continue to pull off impersonations of downtrodden musical grafters they can do just about anything.

Source
&
Venus

Postby Paige xx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:48 am

Venus wrote:Hi Paige. :wave: So glad to hear you enjoyed the gig! Jemaine's encounter with that girl sounds hilarious! :lol: Sounds reminiscent of the "bear attack" at Las Vegas (never forget!). I really hope someone captured that on video as I want to see them on the bikes too. Any other highlights? Would love to hear more about the gig. :D

Brisbane Times review:

Hapless nobodies? It's the only thing not convincing about the Conchords
July 8, 2012 - 11:02AM
Conal Hanna

Flight of the Conchords perform at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre as part of their Australian Tour. Photo: Michelle Smith

Reviewer rating:
4 out of 5 stars
Flight of the Conchords
Brisbane Entertainment Centre
July 7

Success is known to change a lot of people. None more so than those in showbiz, where everyone from Marilyn Monroe to Michael Jackson to Charlie Sheen endured very public struggles coming to terms with fame.

Luckily for fans of New Zealand’s self-proclaimed "fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a cappella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo”, success has not changed Flight of the Conchords.

The pair’s musical comedy schtick has long revolved around their hapless romantic exploits and attempts to discover success as a band.

Back when they formed in 1998, must of this may have been autobiographical, but 14 years later, after major success at the Edinburgh Fringe, a BBC radio series, an HBO TV show and, in Bret McKenzie’s case, an Oscar, they’re hardly the lovable nobodies they continue to sing about.

Most Australian fans no doubt know them best from the cult, two-series HBO show that shared their name. The show largely revolved around their hapless manager, Murray, trying to build the band a profile in a largely disinterested New York City. Some of their more memorable gigs include shows in a library and a lift.

It’s fortunate, then, that the same songs still work in front of a sold-out crowd of 10,000 people at Boondall.

Of course, most of the songs predated the TV show, with the scripts largely written to fit around their comedy lyrics.

So it is with the stage show, too, where McKenzie and partner in crime Jemaine Clement fill in time between songs with a healthy dose of Kiwi self-deprecation and tales of awkward uncool.

Having opened with low-brow crowd favourite Too Many Dicks (On the Dancefloor), the boys then detail, in hilariously deadpan fashion, the song’s deeper metaphorical meaning and the effort that went into writing the somewhat repetitive lyrics. “And then Bret put ‘ditto, ditto’, ‘ditto, ditto’ and the song pretty much wrote itself after that.”

The next subject for ridicule is their costumes, which also haven’t improved in line with the bigger budget stage production, before they’re back into the multi-genre music with songs including The Humans Are Dead, Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room), and Jenny.

Between songs, the duo keeps it real with "wild" tales from their life on the road, again mastering the straight-faced delivery of stories so mild and awkward that it’s easy to swallow the illusion you’re watching two nervous, small-town first-timers.

But then their list of hits belies their modesty, with the crowd lapping up, and often singing along to, songs such as Tears of a Rapper, Business Time and Hiphopopotamus vs The Rhymenocerous.

After a short break the band makes an unexpected encore entry, riding CityCycle bikes through the crowd, before having to spend the next few minutes on an extended instrumental introduction to their next song while they recover their breath.

By the time the gig is over, the pair seems just about ready to acknowledge the reality of their fame and sex appeal, albeit with tongue firmly in cheek, as they chastise the women in the crowd for their continual obsession with looking at the “sugar lumps” at the front of their trunks.

The writhing and posing on stage has to be seen to be believed. But then if these highly talented guys can continue to pull off impersonations of downtrodden musical grafters they can do just about anything.

Source

Thanks :D I had an amazing time the other highlights would have to be when they did their two new songs I love f*ck on the ceiling that was really good and when someone yelled out "show us your tits" and jemaine said we will show you ours if you show us yours lol and some guy did it hahaha and then jemaine jokly. Oh god so many things when they did costume change for bowie that was amazing and demon woman hahaha. Oh and how jemaine kept saying Brissy haha :) I cant stop smiling about so happy I got to see them live and I love my fotc shirt and poster aswell hehe :) :supz:
Paige xx
New arrival

Postby Venus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Aww, it must have been so much fun! Glad you managed to get some merchandise too. Feel free to share any photos you did manage to take. :)

A collection of clips from the show including them riding in on bikes:

Pics from the show courtesy of on Tumblr aussiemelbel on Tumblr

Setlist:

Setlist
Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor
Robots
Jenny
Business Time
I'm Not Crying
The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)
The Summer of 1353
f*** on the Ceiling
Inner City Pressure
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Bowie
Hurt Feelings
I Love Dogs with Epilepsy
Demon Woman

Encore:
Back On The Road
We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps

Source
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 am

Jemaine was awesome at the end of Sugalumps with the lump-thrusting... :lol:

So glad you had such a wonderful time, Paige! Yes, any pics and more memories- please share- we love it! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

A bunch of videos courtesy of kyliejanetaylor:

Jenny:

Business Time:

Demon Woman:

Inner City Pressure

Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros:

Sugalumps:

Back on the road:
&
Venus

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 am

Ooh, nice! The costumes of those fans are really good! Love the Sugalumps pics. :lol: :thumb:

Met Bret from flight of the conchords on Saturday, helped him hire a city cycle and got free tickets to their gig

Source
&
Venus

Postby gibbsrus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:39 pm

FINALLY have come far enough down to earth to post a little bit..... I'm a bit devastated that they hired the bikes.... they said they stole them :P Damn it... why can't they just be a little bit bad!! :P

I will post more on the weekend. Our lives have been mad as since flying home Sunday and starting a new school term Monday morning.... I haven't had time to scratch myself, but it has been killing me not posting too!!! :D

Soooooo I have only uploaded one bit of video to YouTube so far. We had some ogre from the entertainment centre tap me on the shoulder to 'remind' me that we weren't allowed to take video. So when I am uploading, you will be able to tell which ones were mine (early on) and which ones were the kids.... since no one told them to stop!! :P

We were on the right side of the venue, front on the floor and they had 2 big screens mounted high above the stage. On each screen they were filming and projecting one conchord..... chance would have it that Jemaine was on the left and Bret was on the right. So, most of my pics of the screens are Brets. Liam tried to get some of Jemaine, but the lighting and rigging was hanging on his side :(

When we flew home Sunday, the craziest thing happened..... one of many..... sat down to relaxate and what should be on TV???? Gentlemen Broncos. Which we had only just found a copy off the week before!! Ryan is mad for Dr. Chevelier too.

Ahhhh.... I really can't do much tonight.... I must get some sleep. So, I will save the full story for tomorrow night and just give u a tiny bit..... must say though, that we are a little bummed that we couldn't manage a up close and personal this time..... this time...... still SERIOUSLY considering a little trip across the ditch in September for a certain movie premiere!!! :D

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Oh and one more thing..... then I MUST go to sleep.... letting the computer upload the rest of my poor videos to YouTube....... I am still struggling to come to grips with how delicious Bret's lips are in real life!!! :P Seriously.... there should be a law against being that!!!! :doomed:
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby tynant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Venus wrote:Credit to wellthatdepends on Instagram:

It almost looks like Jemaine is wearing those socks that have toes! :roll2:

But, WHOA!!! He looks delicious in that pose!
tynant
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Venus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey gibbs! :wave:

Thanks so much for keeping us updated on your experience at the gig and for the video! Looking forward to reading your full recap of the show when you have some free time. :D

That's a shame you weren't able to meet the boys but yes, it would be fantastic if you could make it to the TLB premiere! Would be great to have a WTFer in attendance. :supz:

Haha, agreed that is a great pic of Jemaine, tynant. Ah, to be right in front of him when he's posing like that. ;)
&
Venus

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand & Australia 2012 Tour