It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Request- Folk The World Tour

Erm, music, lyrics and tabs. Asking about Conchords music, lyrics or tabs please post here.

Moderator: Nancy

Postby claire » Thu May 29, 2008 4:59 pm

kay thanks that's what i figured, i'm just anxious to get it cuz i think there are a couple of songs on there i've never heard before--i just heard the bus driver song for the first time the other day, i don't even remember where i've been digging around for so much conchord stuff lately! anyway i loved it and i'm looking forward to hearing the rest of them!! :D
claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Fri May 30, 2008 12:48 am

woo-hoo it was waiting for me when i got home! off to listen to it now! :D
claire

Postby claire » Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 pm

listened once through and i love it! first time i'd heard petrov yelyena and me, very cute--and i loved the live version of mermaids (the only other i've heard i think was the hbo version)
claire

Postby tvldiva » Fri May 30, 2008 8:02 pm

I absolutely loved the live Mermaids version. They do "lounge lizard" a little too well, don't you think? :wink:
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby Nancy » Sat May 31, 2008 6:01 am

Oh God, that's why it's my signature!
After doing clubs for many years, I roared the first time I heard Bret do "Ladylike fish, yeah". :lol:
He seems to have lounge lizard experience. :wink:
I just love the fact that it's a song that sounds just as good bright and uptempo like it is on HBO, or much slower, ala Folk the World.
I also adore "Hotties" I know it was their one "straight" song, but I just love it.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby claire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 pm

i'm loving hotties too! :D
claire

Re: Request- Folk The World Tour

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Ok, I've been enjoying Folk the World for over a week now and thought I'd comment. :)

I much prefer FTW's version of Petrov, Yelyena, and Me to the one on the show.....

I found that after listening to so many awesome versions of Bus Driver's Song from the tour, that I'm not liking the one on FTW as much. I'm missing that beautiful harmonizing that Jemaine and Nigel did....plus, the lyrics are changed around a little bit. (At least from how they sang it during this tour.)

It's been really neat hearing these songs the way they were originally played by the Conchords......some stuff has stayed, some has been tweaked or removed. (In Albi, there is no single tear that turned into a jellybean all the colors of the rainbow. Albi is just suddenly not racist, lol!) I like hearing the different versions and I try not to compare! Love all of the banter....

One I never hear anyone talk about- but I'm sure they have; I just haven't found it yet- is Nothin' Wrong. :lol: That's my kinda song, a little black humor...I didn't expect that one.....for a minute I thought my CD player stopped working and the radio was on some country station! :lol: "I left her....I left her all over the place." :twisted:
Yep...don't think that one would've ever found a place on the show! :shock:

Pencils in the Wind, Hotties, Frodo, Mermaids, Ladies of the World- all great and love hearing the audience reactions and the extra banter. Angels...a tiny bit dirtier than I heard it on the show, lol. Bowie- loved their sound effects!

It's a wonderful disc- if you haven't gotten it yet- do! Very well worth it! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 pm

I got mine last week too, and have been wondering where to post my review. Sadly, I haven't really had a chance to listen to it intensely so can only share some initial thoughts...

I'm loving the loungy version of Mermaids
I often have Nothin' Wrong stuck in my head
The whole family loves the hidden track at the end of Frodo. Particularly the very end when Bret says, 'Le gros poulet' I think, and something else... But we are suckers for the French stuff (living in Frenchyville and all).
I had heard that version of Hotties before and it's starting to grow on me. But my initial reaction was that it was over-produced. The version I've had on my iPod for the past several months is the one from 'Newton Salad' and I just love the beginning when Jemaine makes those annoyed sounds because he keeps getting it wrong.
:rock:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:09 pm

The song versions on FTW are pretty much the definitve versions to me except Frodo, that's pretty terrible.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby songbird » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:31 am

I got mine today, and I made sure to make time to sit and listen to the whole thing :D

LOVED Nothin' Wrong. Too funny, and Bret's voice was classic :lol:
Bowie- YEEESSS. THANK YOU GUYS FOR GIVING ME A RECORDING OF A LIVE VERSION OF BOWIE!!! It made me extremely happy :D :D
Loved the whole section of Mermaids that didn't make the HBO show. The guys really nailed that one!
I really liked Frodo - I've heard better versions before, but it wasn't bad and I was quite pleased with it.
Also loved Angels, was really happy with the way that one sounded too.

I guess what I'm trying to say was that I really enjoyed the whole CD. It was really interesting to hear the songs the way that they were originally writted! :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 am

I know it's the first and so "definitive"......but since my intro to them came so late and I had different versions swimming in my head, I can't look at it as being the Conchords Holy Grail. I think they improved on some of the songs after FTW and so I have a mish-mash of what I like best. Each has its own charm. I'm thrilled to have it though and have been enjoying listening to it. :)

At the end of the bonus track, doesn't Jemaine say "Yoplait?" :lol:
And did Bret thank Age Pryor? Can't remember which song this was at the end of.....I could easily be wrong, I didn't go back and listen again w/ the volume up...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:08 am

I'm glad everyone's enjoying FTW! I think the version of Bowie on this CD is particularly good (I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Bowie before but now after hearing the live versions of this song, I can listen to it over and over again at the moment!). I also love Pencils in the Wind and the version Something Special for the Ladies (Ladies of the World) on this CD with the 'big band' kind of sound. Hotties and Bus Driver Songs are amongst my fave FOTC songs and these are the versions that I'm used to although just as you said Laura, after hearing live versions of BDS, I miss listening to the harmonies when I listen to the FTW version. I enjoy listening to the slowed down version of Mermaids too, don't mind either version of Mermaids.

The 'interlude du musical' right at the end cracks me up with Bret being obsessed with 'le croissant' :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 am

I really have to listen to the whole thing again. Haven't actually been listening to much lately and trying not to torture hubby with constant FotC (he likes them, and I don't want that to change because of my incessant playing of them). But you guys have made me want to listen again soon. Will have to get the whole thing back onto the iPod, and actually listen to the iPod.

LauraK wrote:At the end of the bonus track, doesn't Jemaine say "Yoplait?" :lol:
Yes, I believe you are right!
LauraK wrote:And did Bret thank Age Pryor?
Yes, I think so, though I don't remember if I actually heard it, or read it somewhere on here - or was it another thread...
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:57 am

So glad you all are enjoying FTW. To me it's the musical version of the BBC radio show - you see the roots from whence the HBO show evolved. FTW for the music, BBC for the plots and dialogue.

I've gotten to the point that I appreciate the many versions of their songs because of the guys' musicality. FTW Bus Driver's Song will always be my favorite, because I used to sing the Nigel harmonies all the time anyway. :sing: I mentioned that to Nigel when we met in NYC, and he laughed.

As far as Nothin' Wrong, I've always wondered who Bret was acknowledging at the end - at first I thought he said Richard Pryor, then I thought Age, but it's at least a two syllable first name, more like three. It sounds like Benjamin. There's definitely a "G" sound in there. Maybe someone can shed some light??? :dunno:

And yay Laura for picking up on Jemaine muttering Yoplait! :yay: That always cracked me up! :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 am

Oh yeah Jemaine's 'Yoplait' :roll2:

And doesn't Bret say thank you to 'Adrian Pryor'- is that Age's full name?
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

PreviousNext

Return to Music, lyrics and tabs