What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
mockingbird
 Post subject: Re: Rockin' the Omnichord
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:48 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

SuzyBatt wrote:
I, for one, feel I know a little bit more about the Omnichord thank to those lovely pics Mock. For example, the Omnichord is clearly a very versatile instrument, able to look good in any situation. It isn't afraid of heights, and could possibly be water proof, but I wouldn't want to test that one. All very good reasons to want to go out and buy one!

:lol: Yes, apparently the Omnichord did a bit of modelling to help put itself through college. ;)

Hot Jam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!
:lol: :roll2: Lordy, you all and this thread are giving me a hearty chuckle this morning

Those pics of the posing Omnichord are too, too funny, mockingbird! The one on the beach, with the sand and the salt water, did make me cringe a bit internally - just because I feel like I really coddle mine...maybe spoil is a better word? I like the way the shadows play across the surface in the one with the roses (very kind of romantic) and the one on the stick is just plain bold. (Also, this photogenic little friend seems to be one of the first examples of the model 27, given the Master Control black knob, and the several little round buttons that I've never seen on an Omnichord - unless they're some kind of added on items... :dunno: Neat though!)

An Omnicord hot jam would absolutely be very cool and jamtastic!! Love it! Though we might need just one other instrument to cut the incredibly sweet sound that that many O-Chords would produce... :rolleyes:

That's pretty excellent about your husband being able to fix things like this, LauraK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a win! :D

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Hot Jam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:54 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!
Hi again - Those extra buttons were really buggin' me. Apparently, there is another practice besides circuit bending amongst maybe more hard-core synth heads/Omnichord enthusiasts to add metal upholstery studs and other accessories to the Omnichord to achieve other sound effects (as the instrument unmodified is quite limited as far as sounds, much more so than keyboard syths). Then some circuit bend their Omnichords to create different sounds. This involves taking the back off and modifying the circuits by touching the exposed circuit areas (yikes! sounds very naughty :shock: :D ) while on battery-powered mode.

So, the studs are what is featured on the picturesque Omnichord from above. Very interesting, yes? :nod: Maybe...?
I'd never do anything to mine because 1.) I like him just the way he is and 2.) if I broke him (a probability), it would be a sad, sad day on many levels.

Here's another one (a lovely brown one 8) ):

Attachments:
Omnichord-1.jpg
Omnichord-1.jpg [ 33.04 KiB | Viewed 1527 times ]

Venus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

SuzyBatt wrote:
I, for one, feel I know a little bit more about the Omnichord thank to those lovely pics Mock. For example, the Omnichord is clearly a very versatile instrument, able to look good in any situation. It isn't afraid of heights, and could possibly be water proof, but I wouldn't want to test that one. All very good reasons to want to go out and buy one!

Ditto that! This thread is amazing and the pics are cracking me up :lol: What a versatile instrument! Good to know we also have our very own Omnichord expert on the forum too ;).

I came across these photos too. Is it normal for omnichords to be hanging in places like these? :lol:

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:39 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

I love the brown one, that's my favorite, if anyone is thinking about buying me an Omnichord, lol. ;)

Venus - those "Omnichords hanging with laundry" are by the same guy who did the other ones, as I'm sure you know. Weird! Hot Jam, I notice the studs are on all of them in the laundry pics. :hrm: I wonder if they're all modified or if it's really just one Omnichord, repeated. (It doesn't look like the latter...)

LauraK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:54 pm 
Boom King!

I like that pic...only to me it looks like they're trying to grow some more omnichords since they're hanging in a greenhouse. :D

SuzyBatt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:01 pm 
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

LauraK wrote:
I like that pic...only to me it looks like they're trying to grow some more omnichords since they're hanging in a greenhouse. :D

Me too... and me too.

Obviously the Omnichord inspired fetishism we'd never dreamed of. Now we'll a new and original topic of conversation the next time we meet Jemaine. :D Oh, did I say we... I never actually met Jemaine... :(

Edit: Oh, and the brown one looks like a really tasty piece of chocolate to me! :tonqe:

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm 
Can Attack!

LauraK wrote:

I thought they were hanging out like salamis waiting to dry.

I am bike-cheese!

Hot Jam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:11 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

mockingbird wrote:
I love the brown one, that's my favorite, if anyone is thinking about buying me an Omnichord, lol. ;)

Venus - those "Omnichords hanging with laundry" are by the same guy who did the other ones, as I'm sure you know. Weird! Hot Jam, I notice the studs are on all of them in the laundry pics. :hrm: I wonder if they're all modified or if it's really just one Omnichord, repeated. (It doesn't look like the latter...)

Yep, mockingbird, you're right. Apparently there are certain people/benders that you can send your instrument to and have them modify them for you - who know it was such a thriving business! Pretty cool! (although, I'm very much an Omnichord traditionalist):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXMf5feSrA & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP2gDE1U6qA

I have had two subsequent thoughts about the pics of the hanging Omnichords (which is :rolls: , by the way): initially, thought it was five that had the same modification package and then, looking at the shadows on the ones in the foreground and something else about those two made me think that the pic was of the same one just repeated and in different positions - our lil' friend from the other pics. :) Can't be sure though.

You guys, I for one, think these arty Omnichord pics are delicious! This thread (along with the JC photo thread) has very much made my day - Thanks so much!! 8)

Here are two of my current fav Omnichord youtube vids (outside of anything and everything featuring the Omnichordificent Mr. Clement, of course! :yawinkle:) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Y5mopKu7s Jenny Omnichord - Do You Know Karate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKw99kdDTpU&feature=related - Me and My Omnichord (themodernromance) -the dog is very funny...and I would definitely arm wrestle her for her cholcolate Omnichord (and I would win... :nod:)

LauraK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 pm 
Boom King!

Ok, thanks for starting the YouTube Omnichord Video Perusal, missy! ;)

This totally makes me think of Dr. Chevalier, lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjjMm4S ... re=related

There are some interesting people out there with omnichords.....I have to admit, my desire to own one grows like the infiniteness of space... :shock: :lol:

LauraK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 pm 
Boom King!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bjBm9cAV_o

This is probably what I'd do for hours.....

bakergirl30
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:07 am 
Crying tears of a rapper

LauraK wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bjBm9cAV_o

This is probably what I'd do for hours.....

Me too... I want one.. :| That was really cool.

Thanks Hot Jam for educating us on the Omnichord. :D

Also that pic with the Omnichords hanging, that's pretty interesting. :hrm:

Hot Jam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:01 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Good morning all! - LauraK, when you get your little Omni-friend, you absolutely will not want to put it down. They are very mesmerizing (in a wonderful way! :nod:).

Anyone who wants one, they're out there. Just gotta save those pennies!

I'm really a bit upset because there was a chocolate one last weekend listed at Buy It Now for a great price and I hesitated... *poof*! It was gone right in front of me as I looked at it, hemming and hawing. Free shipping too. :cry:

Ah well, them's the breaks, right?

Well, off to a busy day and then away for the weekend (but back in time for Sunday!!! :nails: :clap: ).
Be well and talk to you all soon! :D

LauraK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm 
Boom King!

:wave:

SuzyBatt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:42 am 
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Laura, any luck with the Omnichords on eBay? I had a look with my expert sister last night and she figures I'll not get one for under $150 (Canadian - which is still a darn lot of money!). And that doesn't include shipping, which is also a lot since all sellers are in the U.S.

Oh well, looks like this one's going on my list to Santa 'cause I'm not going to be able to get it for myself. :sosad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next