It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:56 am

Freaking out over I Told You I Was Freaky - the new album

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

Re: Freaking out over I Told You I Was Freaky - the new album

Postby vmh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:31 am

LauraK wrote:
He cracked up!! :lol: "Cannon-balls!?!? Those are too big to fit in his pants!" :D :lol:

I love my son. :heart:

:rolls:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Oaky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 am

Nancy wrote:I just want to say a hearty welcome, Oaky and yvettiefred, since we havent't crossed paths before. :wave:

I was semi-active like 3 months ago but haven't been on much at all..

Coming out tomorrow in Aus! Woo!
"What are you doing in here?!"
"Fixing the shower..."
"It wasn't broken!"
"Well, I'm sorry; I broke it... I'm sorry."

Just another Eugene moment :P
Oaky
New arrival

Postby claire » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:16 pm

i got my cd from subpop and my button was neither of bret or jemaine, it just says 'i told you i was freaky' on it, yep i guess they're out of j&b buttons--it did come with a super cool sticker tho--off to run errands and listen to it in the car...
that's frozen cool...
claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 am

Oaky wrote:
Nancy wrote:I just want to say a hearty welcome, Oaky and yvettiefred, since we havent't crossed paths before. :wave:

I was semi-active like 3 months ago but haven't been on much at all..

Coming out tomorrow in Aus! Woo!

Senior memory loss... :oops: sorry. Good to hear from you again. Glad to hear Aus will enjoy the cd so soon. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:40 pm

So here's something: I kind of am not understanding people (reviewers mostly) out there who don't seem to get the fact that this particular compilation of songs is really just a re-submission of songs from Season Two of the show. The songs have existed for a little while now. So, if you saw the second season of the show or even were to watch it right now, you would hear these songs (except for Pencils in the Wind on the itunes one). It's like some people are really surprised or even really disgruntled about this fact. Like somehow the music/songs were going to be different on the record than they were on the show. This is a curiousity for me. :hrm:

Also, the boys aren't seeming to be getting too much love from some of their own media and fans/not fans back home with this thing. Gee whiz, even if you don't like the music or the humor (which, obviously this set of songs is not doing it for many folks), recognition of their creativity and talent could still happen. They're kind of treating them at times right now like they're too big for their britches. Which, with those two and their complete lack of ego (combined and individual), I just don't see that happening... :dunno:

Just my thoughts...Thanks for listening! :D

(I still laugh when on Freaky how Jemaine says/whispers: "Take that off" and then "Put this on") :lol: :lalala:
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I havent paid much attention to NZ media or their reviews of the album. It sounds like "tall poppy syndrome" what your describing.....you know...cut down the poppy that sticks up the most? I imagine they stick up the most because they are popular (somewhat) here in the US.... :dunno:

I dont normally give too much weight to media reviewers and what they say about the music and movies I like.
The guys know they have a dedicated fan base that waxes poetic on all their talents, hence the "thank you. yes YOU" in the liner notes.....They feel the love... :D :nod:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Yeah, tall poppy syndrome happens here in Minnesota, too.

Lots of digs about anyone making it big. Reporters publishing celebrities' home addresses.
And the stuff the rest of the country thinks is great from MN only occasionally coincides with what people like here. I know, it sounds catty, but tis true a lot of the time.

The rap group Atmosphere seems to be immune for some reason, but if they get a platinum record, all bets are off.

Here's a great review from NZ, a lot of pride here:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... -Conchords
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

I don't generally read reviews for FOTC and when I do I don't take stock in them. For myself, and I know I'm the minority, this CD is no great shakes. It's almost like FOTC parodying FOTC and I guess that's what some of the lamer moments in S2 felt like too and that's probably why it was a good place to end it.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 pm

I guess Im really in the minority in liking S2 (really disliked the last episode though). I didnt really see it as them parodying themselves... I saw the songs as new and different :dunno: go figure!
closet jemainiac
---

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I really liked S2 and thought the last episode was brilliant! So everyone's different.

I liked the S1 songs very much, but in a way I have more invested in the S2 songs because I was able to follow them as they came out.

Still have neither the CD or the LP in my mailbox, though.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm

I think most people liked S2 and I'm not saying I didn't. (BTW I think the finale was the best episode and the most genius way to end a series). I was just saying that I thought it had it's lame moments and some of the storylines/concepts seemed rehashing of stuff from S1. There were moments of straining there that I could see that I didn't sense in S1. S1 struck me as completely original and suprising. S2 had quite a few predictable jokes (mostly from Murray) and storylines that got me thinking about the limitations of these characters. Perhaps some of my issue with the new CD stems from the songs being such a by product of the show. The S1 CD stands alone and I still enjoy it. But I can't really see myself listening to the S2 CD again, particularly given that I already have a crapload of live versions of all of these songs that, IMHO sound much better and I listen to them all the time (yay Philly show!!) So hmmm...I guess I do like the S2 songs, at least in the live environment. Oh I don't know what I'm talking about. Just ignore me. :rolleyes:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Sounds like you just burned out on the show versions, maybe?

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 pm

I hear what you're saying...I liked the concept of the last show in S2, but I wasnt entertained nearly as much earlier episodes.....Murray is kind of a one trick pony, so I see what you're saying there.

Maybe I just like s2 because it was Jem's season in terms of action with the ladies where as s1 was all about Bret.
:D

I like all versions of the songs, studio and live....
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Yes, SW, what you just said about the songs being a byproduct of the show, this is what I was getting at before. I mean, chances are that a person will like the songs as much as they did when they initially saw the S2 show and heard them there then. And, to go further, if that person didn't quite care for the the S2 episodes/songs then, chances are that they wouldn't just spontaneously have new care for the songs now. The curious part of this to me is that it's even as talked about in the tone it is now because the show's over and the songs have already been sung. Again, it's like the songs on the record shouldn't be a surprise to anyone; the record's a soundtrack from S2, nothing more, nothing less.

To me, S2 was as terrific as S1 was. For different reasons though. Because the material being presented was new to me as a viewer of S1, watching S1 felt like finding a new friend and watching S2 felt like appreciating an old friend. The characters themselves are so enjoyable and the music and story telling so well done that I never found myself comparing the two seasons. Actually, truth be told, if I had to admit to having a less liked episode, it was the very first episode of S1. Sally = euch. But alas, Jemaine's dance moves (as well as shirt, jacket, pants, hands, hair, face and entire self) had me hooked-lined-and-sinkered. I was doomed! :D

Anyway, to bring it back around, all of the FotC records get repeat listens in our household. I think our cats know all the words to all of the songs and could probably even sing along (probably do in their minds). I totally hear and agree with what you're saying too, CJ, MM and 4ever! I'm only very slightly worried about still continuing to laugh out loud at moments in the songs that I clearly know are going to happen even before I press play!... :worry: :lol:
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Location: Somewhere I'd want to be if I wasn't here but I'm here so I'm very happy!

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

I like how you described the 2 seasons, HJ. finding a new friend and appreciating an old one...that's perfect!
closet jemainiac
---

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords